Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is with the extremely high prices of these pistols? Ive always liked the look of the .45 Colt pistol but id never taken the time to look at prices. it seems like they all run from about 800 up to 1200 bucks! maybe those are the fancier models the ones im interested in are the ones closest in design and looks to the old pistols carried during WWII. Does someone make a cheaper replica pistol? Also what makes these guns so expensive? are they a complicated design or what?

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
maybe i was just looking at the high end ones. ha. i did find a review online about the Rock Island .45 1911A1. looked nice. ill have to see if i can find one around here and what the prices are

what is the difference between the Rock Island GI Series and their Medallion series M1911?

·
Registered
8,033 Posts
maybe i was just looking at the high end ones. ha. i did find a review online about the Rock Island .45 1911A1. looked nice. ill have to see if i can find one around here and what the prices are

what is the difference between the Rock Island GI Series and their Medallion series M1911?
I have three Rock Islands...two GI's and one Compact. I think they're excellent guns for the money! Sure, they're not Colt's, Baer's, Brown's or Wilson's, but they're well-made and function like they're supposed to. They're also backed by excellent customer service. Made by Armscor in the Phillipines, Armscor also makes High Standard's and Charles Daly's.

The High Standard GI model might be more "authentic" looking, because it doesn't have the large billboard-rollmark that the RIA's have, but they both run very well. My Compact is my daily carry gun.

That said, there ARE new Colt reproductions of both the WWI M1911 and the WWII M1911A1 out there. The M1911A1's have been out of production for a few years, but I got lucky and recently found one new in the box for $900. I'm also planning on picking up a WWI repro tomorrow, also for $900, but it's had 50 rounds through it. Still has the boxes and other goodies.

The M1911A1 is a reasonably accurate copy of the originals, but not a perfect copy. The M1911's though, are supposedly VERY nice and a more accurate replica. They made 4 or 5 thousand of them with a Carbonia Blue finish, that's what I'm buying tomorrow. That was a limited run, but they're still making them only with a Black Oxide finish now. All are supposed to be excellent shooters. I still haven't shot my A1 yet, haven't been to a range in awhile.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
There are some really nice $4-500 1911's. Only draw back is the cast frame, but if your just shooting paper, who cares, right. I've come close to buying a SA model a couple of times.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
do any mags fit in the Rock Island M1911A1's? I dont really like how the 8 round mags look in them. i really prefer the flush look of the 7 round mags. Also on the Armscor website the GI model they show has pistol grip furniture. Does it actually come with that or is it the wood/brown colored pistol grips? I prefer the color and looks of the wooden style grips

·
Registered
8,033 Posts
do any mags fit in the Rock Island M1911A1's? I dont really like how the 8 round mags look in them. i really prefer the flush look of the 7 round mags. Also on the Armscor website the GI model they show has pistol grip furniture. Does it actually come with that or is it the wood/brown colored pistol grips? I prefer the color and looks of the wooden style grips
This is one of my Rocks, I'm converting it into a WWII M1911A1 clone. Currently waiting for some vintage Colt parts, hammer, trigger, t/s, g/s. Has WWII surplus plastic Keyes stocks on it. This has an 8-round Chip McCormick Shooting Star in it, they fit flush and work great!

This is how my both of my Rock GI's looked new.

These are some Armscor wood grips. They also have the double-diamond style. Stocks are everywhere and relatively cheap.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah i really like those. i dont like the look of the original Rock Island clips. i dont like how it sticks down below the actual handle

·
Registered
953 Posts
What is with the extremely high prices of these pistols? Ive always liked the look of the .45 Colt pistol but id never taken the time to look at prices. it seems like they all run from about 800 up to 1200 bucks! maybe those are the fancier models the ones im interested in are the ones closest in design and looks to the old pistols carried during WWII. Does someone make a cheaper replica pistol? Also what makes these guns so expensive? are they a complicated design or what?
they are excelent quality sir.

those are probably about the cheapest ive seen them. and is this company serious?
1911 40rd<br>ProMag Pistol Drum<BR>Part #DRUM1911 - DRUM1911
thats super cheap

·
Registered
646 Posts
Some versions of he 1911 are C&R.

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
As for off brand 45's I've owned or shot Dan Wesson, Charles Daly,Norinco,and even built one on an essex frame. They all worked well after changing mags on some. Some save money by selling with crappy mags but the guns are ok.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts