Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a nice .44 Colt today, and am in the process of cleaning out the chambers as they're a little gunked-up.

My question is, how do I get the cylinder out? I know it has something to do with the wedge, but it ain't budging.

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
Try tapping it in and then out.Also sideways.Dont get over rough but if you put wd40 on it and tap from all available angles it will come.Dont do this over livingroom furnature using wd40. samuel.

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
The wedge should have a thick end on one side of the gun and a thin end on the other.If you tap on the thin end it should slide out.I never saw one but look for some kind of screw that might be holding the wedge.I remember someone telling me they put a set screw in one to hold it in.The problem I always had was keeping it in. samuel.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Removing the screw was the first thing I did.

I also noticed that there's a little spring-catch on the wedge that aparently is engaged and keeps the wedge in.

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
You must have one that hasnt been fired much as that spring doesnt hold up long with use.If you place something like hard wood or use a brass hammer and hit the thin side hard enough it will come out.They are fun to shoot,it takes 10sec,s to empty and 10minutes to load.The best way is buy several cylinders and load them but dont put the caps on until you install the cylinder in the action because if you hit a cap on a nipple it will discharge and the ball is about at maximum power.Also dont ever have anyone off to the side and in front of the firearm because of multiple chambers going off.This can be partially prevented by greasing with corn starch(crisco)over the ball or buying wads that go under the ball.Dont ever use anything that has petrolium in it including vasiline.It gums everything up.Also that wedge should have notches you can see when you get it out.They make a tool to pull those wedges,I just never used one. samuel.

·
Banned
165 Posts
On the subject of the Colt Navy, anyone know what could potentially cause the hammer to strike without detonating the cap. The small spring on the hammer is broken but the main spring is new, could that be the problem?

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
I believe the small spring you are refering to is the hand spring that makes the hand stay forward so it catches the notches in the cylinder and turns it to line the chamber up.If the barrel is pointed down it usually works with a broken spring but if you tip the barrel up the hand falls back and fails to rotate the cylinder. samuel.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts