Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently inherited this firearm with a leather fold-over flap holdster from my great uncle, a former LAPD police officer from the 1940's. I am looking for more information, new grips and a possible idea of its worth. I am not interested in selling it.

It currently has some cracked 'FM 10 point' grips on it. I like the style but will consider any grips that will work. I was told to go to a gun show for grips but do not want to wait until the next show.

As soon as I replace the grips I am going to take it to the range...

Chaz

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
Cograts, sounds like you now own a nice Colt of years gone by.
Please sick around we have many members that can help you with your question.
Though I can't help you it will be interesting hearing about your new to you Colt.

WELCOME !!! To GUN and GAME and Thank You for Joining...A.H

·
Registered
16,485 Posts
First off, welcome to the site. Secondly, what a gift to inherit. I don't blame you for not selling it and wanting to both find out more and buy things to make it both look and function better as well as make it safer to use.

I'm sure if you googled it, say by using the words Colt Police revolver in .38, something if not many things will come up. Although, I'm sure someone here will more then likely have the exact place to go as well as how much it's worth. Again, congrats on your new priceless (worth more sentimentally then any dollar amount) Colt Police .39 revolver...

·
Premium Member
1,796 Posts
Welcome aboard!! I here that is a great shooter. Try the other forums here also to post you question. Answers will come, yes answers will come.. Good luck!! Hope you enjoy the site and we will see you around the forums...
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Congratulations. You own the finest fixed-sight police revolver ever made.

Your Colt is an "I-frame". Grips (stocks) that fit the Colt Python will fit your gun. There are lots of them available. I recommend either the Pachmayr or Hogue rubber grips. Both are comfortable and not expensive.

My OP wears a set of Pachmayr grippers and it shoots like a dream. Mine gun is also from the 1940's so the grip frame is the same.

For some reason the Colt collectors haven't yet discovered the Official Police. You can still find nice post-war models for under $300.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts