Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
30,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have two colt S.A.A. revolver replica's.
they both shoot to the left.
why?
i compensate for it so it's not a big deal.
but i am wondering if they all do this or not?
thanks fellas!

·
Registered
741 Posts
Get some instruction. If you are right-handed, it's probably you pushing to the left. It's a common problem. The Colt SAA has a rather small grip, and it's easy to push it. An instructor can study your grip and help you correct the problem. Might also be recoil anticipation. I have been a marksmanship instructor for over 30 years. I see it all the time.

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
If you have tried shooting offhand and from a rest (or you dont have this problem with other revolvers) and have the same problem both ways I would say the front sight is out of line.I know what I do to fix the problem for myself but would like to hear Moosemans answer. sam.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Get some instruction. If you are right-handed, it's probably you pushing to the left. It's a common problem. The Colt SAA has a rather small grip, and it's easy to push it. An instructor can study your grip and help you correct the problem. Might also be recoil anticipation. I have been a marksmanship instructor for over 30 years. I see it all the time.
+1
How far to the left? You might try some cowboy loads as they are reduced recoil, till you get a feel for the gun.

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
Come on fellas,the man shoots a .454 quite a bit!Give him a little credit for shooting knowledge. sam.

·
Premium Member
30,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
about 3 in. to the left @ 25 yds.both of the piettas do this.
i do shoot the .454
some .357's
my 1911a1
a couple .38's
i am tellin ya...
these guns shoot to the left.
:)

·
Registered
741 Posts
I guess you can suspect the sights. I just try to look for potential problems that don't require surgery to the gun first. Rule out poor technique, then modify the gun.

I reiterate. SAAs have really small grips and are difficult to grip well. I was having fits with an old model Ruger Blackhawk until I fitted it with Pachmayr grips. These allowed me to get a firm and consistent grip on the gun, and helped cure the push.

However, if you are sure technique is not the problem, start bending the sight or twisting the barrel.

·
Premium Member
30,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
o yes i have fired these guns from a rest and standing.

I guess you can suspect the sights. I just try to look for potential problems that don't require surgery to the gun first. Rule out poor technique, then modify the gun.
that is great advice.
i am not denigrating your input at all!

i googled (colt S.A.A. groups to left) and found more than a few hits.

i like to shoot.
i have put about 500 rnds. through these.

·
Registered
17,237 Posts
Filing down the front sight will raise the groups...not uncommon on a fixed sight 6-shooter. You can also bend the FS a little to the left. Both operations are not out of the reach of a smith that works on cowboy pistols...find someone that knows what the hell he's doing, even if you have to send the gun off.
Rich

·
Premium Member
30,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
the only gunsmith around here that i trusted is dead.
i dont want to pay 1/2 of what the guns cost to send these to a stranger and maybe have them adjusted correctly and pay him top dollar on top of maybe not breaking them.
i will continue to use kentucky windage and use that gunsmith and shipping money on more cowboy guns.
ive seen too many folks pay out the nose to get a butchered firearm for the money and trouble.
gunsmiths arent badguys.
but there are bad apples in the basket.
dont get mad st.moose!

·
Premium Member
30,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
im sure there are and i bet it would cost a pretty penny to ship with the ffl regs. and have that smith do his magic.
none around here though.
i have 2 guns that shoot to the same POI .
they are consistant.
i will live with it.
if these were expensive guns i would pay whatever it took to send them to a reknowned smith for adjustment.

i cannot justify spending a coupla hundred dollars on a gun that cost $400

we have a coupla gunsmiths here and they are KIDS .
i wouldnt let them change my oil.

·
Registered
17,237 Posts
What about...
GENE MAUZY GUNSMITHING 970-856-3598

2459 U50 Rd
Cedaredge, CO 81413
36.4MI from Grand Junction

GRAND MESA GUNSMITHING 970-856-3711

2263 R Rd
Cedaredge, CO 81413
36.4MI from Grand Junction

Rich

·
Premium Member
30,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
we are right back to shipping guns to a total stranger that i have never heard of .

·
Premium Member
30,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
9 hour round trip.
maybe i will read up on it and see if i can do it myself.

i gotta 3 lb. hammer and a coarse toothed vise!

·
Premium Member
30,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
it doesnt exist anymore.

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
Send them to Moose !!!!
The only way to correct this problem is to have a competent Gun Smith square up the barrel and where it is screwed in to the revolver frame.
billys right the cost and shipping would be to much and Kentucky windage will have to do

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
What I do is take my brass hammer to the range and tap the sight over until it works.I wonder about doing it in extreme cold.Maybe mooseman would know. sam.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts