Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My grandfather just passed away and one of the items he had was a Colt Trooper Mark III .357. I really love rifles, but do not care for revolvers at all. I want to sell it for my grandmother, but need to find out some information about it first.

To me it looks to be in fine shape. Some of the blueing on each side of the end of the barrel is worn smooth. My grandfather replaced (actually made) new grips for it. Unfortunately, we do not have the original grips.

Thank you for any help or information you can provide.
-Andrea

Attachments

·
Registered
2,912 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
My best guess is 350 to 400, What jtuck said is watch gunbroker and auction arms. You can probably sell in the local paper. Good luck.
Mike

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
If only you were a lil closer I'd buy it from you I am overly fond of the Trooper having owned two in the past , I'd figure three and a half to four is about right. These are work horse revolvers!

·
Gun Toting Boeing Driver
19,029 Posts
Trooper's a nice pistol. Have you considered keeping it -- they haven't made them for quite some time and you might kick yourself later if you sold it. Cosmetic wear is easily fixed (if you even want to).

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
i would keep it, my grandpa gave me his gun and i was going to sell it but now im glad i didnt, but if u want to sell it im not sure about the price because im not to interested in pistols but im sure u can trade it for something u want or maybe sell it to a friend or family member so you still have it around, just my opinion

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Used to call a Trooper with a good trigger job the poor man's Python, only I liked the Trooper better. I had one, big rugged durable .357 that I wish I'd kept. Don't sell it.

·
YOU TALKIN' TO ME!?
21,182 Posts
Used to have one of those too...paid $350...sold for $500...rather I had it now though...had a trigger job done to it...broke at around 3 lbs...very accurate...haven't run into another since...:(

·
Registered
16,485 Posts
You have my condolences on the passing of your Grandfather.

If I were you I'd keep it. But that's just me. First thing I'd do either way is clean it up a little. Looks like she needs a little TLC in a few areas? Or is it the picture?

Anyhow, you can buy a book called the Blue Book of Gun Values, 29th Edition is out already I think. Then you'll have it on hand for any other future inquiries of values for most anything. In truth, I'm sure those replies you've gotten are dead on.

You can also search the gun auction sites for what you have and see what they are either selling for or what they've sold for and get a good idea that way.

Again, I'd keep it. And again, that's me. lol Good luck and again, sorry for your loss.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Its a keeper!!!!

I have the same gun except it is only been fired from the factory and 3 boxes from me. This is a beautiful gun and there is no way i would sell it. Do with it what you want but i would hang on to it. I paid $650.00 for it. Some might say thats high but this is a beautiful gun. I bought a holster for it with a snap strap that is a little to big for it because i dont want any leather wearing off the finish. This gun shoots awsome and is a eye catcher. People always ask if its brand new . Hell i would buy yours just to keep this one mint. They are pretty rare too. Good luck with your choice but if it was mine it would be right next to me every night when the lights go off!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Your Grandpa's Trooper is a keeper. I wouldn't sell it if it were mine. I'd just put a set of checkered Eagle rosewood finger position grips on it. I own a 65 Python. Best damn gun I'll ever own. Nothing feels as good in the hand or shoots as well as a Colt revolver.

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
It'd be a shame to sell it, but suggestions for price probably is all you'd get for it. If I weren't so far away, I'd work something out as far as a sale. I have a Trooper Mk. III with the shorter barrel. Shoots well, very smooth action and trigger pull is awesome. I had been searching for a .357 mag pistol for a long time, and finally found it. I will be keeping mine for a very long time. Consider doing the same. If you really want to get rid of it, walk around a gun show. I was leaving the gun show where I bought mine, and a gentleman solicited me for a sale of the pistol I just bought. I told him I'd sell it if the price were right, so I threw out $700 as the lowest offer I'd take for it :D Of course he wasn't interested at that price ahhahah.......

·
Registered
3 Posts
My grandfather just passed away and one of the items he had was a Colt Trooper Mark III .357. I really love rifles, but do not care for revolvers at all. I want to sell it for my grandmother, but need to find out some information about it first.

To me it looks to be in fine shape. Some of the blueing on each side of the end of the barrel is worn smooth. My grandfather replaced (actually made) new grips for it. Unfortunately, we do not have the original grips.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I just traded my Colt Trooper Mk 3 today for a Remington Speedmaster 552 Deluxe, so I would put the trade value at around $400-600 depending on the condition. I probably came out a bit on the low end for the trade, but I did not need another .357 Magnum revolver either. The guy I traded with seemed to be really happy with the trade, and I am happy as I now have a great rimfire rifle for my daughter to use when the snow melts off a bit.

·
Registered
3 Posts

-Andrea
:bigun2:YEAH!, I love these Emo-cons. All these people are right. Keep it. You'll never see another one again like it. Buy it from your g'ma. I almost bought one in 1981, a nickle finish one. When me and my brother went back to buy them(he wanted the 6" blued one), the nickle one was gone. So he got the 'troop. They stopped making them in '82. He told me (back in '81),the barrel on that particular gun is actually thicker at the end(muzzle), than the frame.

·
God, Guns, Glory
33,578 Posts
Just remember the golden rule.

If it is a Colt, or Winchester.
It is worth keeping, or buying it!

You planning to visit Alaska, anytime soon? :D
As I would buy it!

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
You can get some nice replacement grips online, and for not much money. They don't quite look like the original wooden open back, oversize grips, but would probably be a bit more comfortable than those home-grown grips of yours. Those thumb rests look potentially painful.

·
Registered
199 Posts
My first revolver was a 4 inch Trooper MKIII I bought while stationed in Alaska. Paid $150 and it came with a box of hollowpoints, holster, and a crappy speedloader back in 89' or 90'.

Unfortuantly, while flying home to Arkansas, I had to change planes at LAX and some baggage handler stole it from my bag. Although the airline eventually sent me a check for $1250 for the pistol, pistol case, box of ammo, and a buck knife that were stolen. It's probably in some LA police department's evidence locker or melted down by now.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts