Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so im wondering which 1911 brand is better? colt or springfield? is either brand a lot better quality than the other, or are they about even? just curious because i like the classic looking colts that they make, and they are in my price range. any ideas? thanks.

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
I dont know!!!I have Springfield parts in Colts and Colt parts in Springfield and they all work. sam.

·
Premium Member
30,670 Posts
the colt costs a lot more that seems to be the biggest difference.
ive fired them both and they feel the same to me.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hm, well since seems to be the only difference, i'm gonna have to go with a springfield. thanks guys.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I just put a stainless Springfield Champion on lay away. It looks like a good one. If its going up against my Colts it better be. My Colts track records are perfect. I will let you know the results. The Springfield no doubt will be good but the best it will be able to do is a tie. We are talking since 1982 one jam ( reload, primer no powder).

·
Premium Member
30,670 Posts
from american handgunner:
It's no secret that Springfield's pistols are made in Brazil and the Milspec gun comes into this country complete and ready to go. Guns destined to become Loaded pistols come in without a grip safety or sights. Those are installed in Springfield's Illinois factory.

that must be why i could buy one for $421 N.I.B.

·
Registered
322 Posts
The Springfield Champion That I have is the Stainless version with night sites,adj trigger, Load indicator, safety lock and 4 inch barrel. it is 1/4" shorter than my commander. It is a fine weapon and I recomend it highly. That being said,however, it did come up short in balance and longer range shooting ( 15-30 yds). My Commander has none of the bells and whistles that the Springfield had except the factory extended grip safety. But it outshot it will all types of ammo tried. My buddy shot both for comparison and he also shot better with the Colt. I can't believe the 1/4" barrel made that much difference. 10 yds and in the Springfield did everything the Colt did. Like I stated earlier the Springfield is a nice gun and I plan to carry it on occasion. But its no Colt.

·
Registered
953 Posts
My first gun was a springfeil 45 military anniversary edition then I bought a colt. I dont know what kind of quality these guys are shooting to say springfeild is better, but after I bought my colt I didnt like the springfeild anymore so I traded it in. My colt hands down is the best 45 I have ever shot absolutly love it.

If I were to buy a springfeild because it is half the price I would buy the XD. The price of COLT is up there mine is a base model starting at 900.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Well I myself am looking to choose a 1911 for purchase.

From what I can see Colt gives you nothing but a plain 1911 for twice the price of a plain Springfield.

(My research could be wrong... I read it on wikipedia) Springfield Armory produces the 1911's for the FBI's Hostage Rescue Teams. The FBI required 1.5" groups at 25 yards. I know (after the appropriate upgrades) the Springfield line of 1911s can be extremely accurate (enough for the FBI to choose them over Colt).

The only thing that I don't really know is if Colt cuts the bonus features in order to just perform the accuracy upgrades out of the box. I don't know because Colt doesn't mention it. All I know is that if you want a 1911 with a lot of features AND have maximum accuracy... go for a higher end Springfield. If you don't really need a bunch of bells and whistles but you still wish for an accurate 1911 I would go with Colt. However, nothing on the Colt website claims a certain degree of accuracy at a certain distance... nor do I see any options to allow for any higher degree of accuracy. That is a shame too because the FBI chose Springfield for their exacting standards (subject to accurate research... once again my source was wikipedia). That little bit of info kinda prevents me from paying more for less just because it says Colt on the side of the slide.

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
I just put a stainless Springfield Champion on lay away. It looks like a good one. If its going up against my Colts it better be. My Colts track records are perfect. I will let you know the results. The Springfield no doubt will be good but the best it will be able to do is a tie. We are talking since 1982 one jam ( reload, primer no powder).[/QUOte Right I've seen colts shoot great and some not shoot worth a damn don't hang your word on a name less it's your own.Its the shooter 99% of the time, not the emblem. .......................Waterdog.

·
Premium Member
30,670 Posts
I just put a stainless Springfield Champion on lay away. It looks like a good one. If its going up against my Colts it better be. My Colts track records are perfect. I will let you know the results. The Springfield no doubt will be good but the best it will be able to do is a tie. We are talking since 1982 one jam ( reload, primer no powder).[/QUOte Right I've seen colts shoot great and some not shoot worth a damn don't hang your word on a name less it's your own.Its the shooter 99% of the time, not the emblem. .......................Waterdog.
i love those last two sentences.
thanks dude!

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
the colt costs a lot more that seems to be the biggest difference.
ive fired them both and they feel the same to me.
I guess I lucked out. I had a Kimber, a Springfield & a Colt on my short list & it looked like the Kimber was lowest priced, Springfield next & Colt the highest & I was just going to wait to see what I found in stock first & how much money I happened to have at the time. I kinda preferred the Colt because of it holding it's value real well, but since it seemed to be harder to find, even on the net, plus higher priced I figured it'd be the last one! I spotted the Kimber I wanted, but a gun show was coming up & decided to check it out before pulling the trigger on the Kimber. I'm glad I did. At the show, found both the Springfield & the Colt at the same price as the Kimber! I grabbed the Colt without a second thought!

I'll still get the Springfield & Kimber, but probably next year. Besides, I got the Colt & two American Classics to break-in before thinking about another one!

·
Registered
792 Posts
Well I myself am looking to choose a 1911 for purchase.

From what I can see Colt gives you nothing but a plain 1911 for twice the price of a plain Springfield.

(My research could be wrong... I read it on wikipedia) Springfield Armory produces the 1911's for the FBI's Hostage Rescue Teams. The FBI required 1.5" groups at 25 yards. I know (after the appropriate upgrades) the Springfield line of 1911s can be extremely accurate (enough for the FBI to choose them over Colt).

The only thing that I don't really know is if Colt cuts the bonus features in order to just perform the accuracy upgrades out of the box. I don't know because Colt doesn't mention it. All I know is that if you want a 1911 with a lot of features AND have maximum accuracy... go for a higher end Springfield. If you don't really need a bunch of bells and whistles but you still wish for an accurate 1911 I would go with Colt. However, nothing on the Colt website claims a certain degree of accuracy at a certain distance... nor do I see any options to allow for any higher degree of accuracy. That is a shame too because the FBI chose Springfield for their exacting standards (subject to accurate research... once again my source was wikipedia). That little bit of info kinda prevents me from paying more for less just because it says Colt on the side of the slide.
The Springfields that the FBI use come from their custom shop. You simply can't compare those to your average run of the mill Colt, the Springfield Professional is a $2000+ dollar semi-custom gun, nothing like their GI pistol. That said, even the GI is a good gun, very comparable to a Colt.

When it comes to Colts, often times you're either a Colt guy, or you're not. Colts aren't especially well made, the fit and finish of both of mine leave something to be desired. But Colt does tend to use better steel, and higher quality non-MIM parts than most other production 1911 manufacturers, even including Kimber.

I'll personally take a Colt over a Springer every time, but there is nothing wrong with a Springfield, Colts are just what I like. Ultimately thats what it comes down to, what the person buying the gun likes.:)

·
Registered
13 Posts
The Springfields that the FBI use come from their custom shop. You simply can't compare those to your average run of the mill Colt, the Springfield Professional is a $2000+ dollar semi-custom gun, nothing like their GI pistol. That said, even the GI is a good gun, very comparable to a Colt.

When it comes to Colts, often times you're either a Colt guy, or you're not. Colts aren't especially well made, the fit and finish of both of mine leave something to be desired. But Colt does tend to use better steel, and higher quality non-MIM parts than most other production 1911 manufacturers, even including Kimber.

I'll personally take a Colt over a Springer every time, but there is nothing wrong with a Springfield, Colts are just what I like. Ultimately thats what it comes down to, what the person buying the gun likes.:)
Oh I know the one that the FBI uses is in the 2k price range. But why wasn't Colt selected to make that 2k dollar gun? I dunno... sounds sketchy but I don't have all the details.

I see what you're saying. It is just kinda disappointing to see the original manufacturer falling behind so many companies in features, price, customization, etc. Colt is really failing to justify the slightly higher price on comparable models just so that I can have a 1911 from the original manufacturer with fewer features. I guess original doesn't mean best anymore.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts