close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Comercial ammo question

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by OldSchool, Mar 24, 2002.

1. OldSchool

OldSchool G&G Newbie

Anyone have any info on PMC ammo? I picked some up in 8x57JS for my sporterized '38 Turk with 170 gr. pointed soft points and boxer primed. I got it for hunting and to have loadable brass. Does anyone know if this brand is loaded to Europeian standards? I know U.S. loadings are pretty watered down. I've not had a chance to shoot any of it yet and all I know about it is that it's imported from Korea.

OldSchool

2. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

PMC is Korean, like you said. I have found their pistol and .308 ammo to be decent. I do not know if the 8mm ammo is loaded to NATO (7.92x57) or the weaker original Mauser specs. The 8mm is a very old round and was was massively uprgraded in the 30s with the event of stronger steels and double base powders. It was widely used in the hot loading as machine gun ammo. Most German fighter planes used it. NATO adopted the beefed up round after the war and called it the 7.92x57. Commercial cartidges in the US are patterned after the weaker original loads.

3. lefty o

lefty o G&G Evangelist

mn
    klaus, are you sure about the nato thing, not doubting you , but ive just never heard the words nato and 7.92 in the same sentence before?

4. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

Yes, I am sure about the NATO designation. It was officially called the 7.92x57. Some European countries adopted it, as well as some Middle Eastern Countries. I used to have a Hakim, and have a few Mausers in 8mm., and had to learn about the ammo. I admit this happened before my time, and if you have evidence I am wrong, please correct me. I would prefer to be publicly corrected over sounding foolish, and possibly giving bad advice.

5. lefty o

lefty o G&G Evangelist

mn
    nope no evidence that you are wrong, ive got 8mm's too , just never heard 7.92 nato before. thanks

6. Hans R Colt

Hans R Colt G&G Newbie

7.92 x 57

Everyone here has read that our current . 50 bmg round was derived from the .30-06. But looking at my 8mm Mauser bullets and comparing them to .50 bmg, it looks like the bmg seems to be an exact copy of the 8mm Mauser.

I read somewhere that John M. Browning developed the .50 bmg after seeing a Mauser T-Gewehr and accompanying ammunition, which was based on our favorite 8mm Mauser.

Any thoughts or more accurate info from anybody out there?

7. lefty o

lefty o G&G Evangelist

mn
    while the 8mm is an excellent round, the 50 bmg is an exact duplicate of the 30-06 , they just scaled it up.

8. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

And since the 30-06 was based on the 8mm round, it is natural for there to be some resemblence between the .50 BMG and the 8mm.

9. Hans R Colt

Hans R Colt G&G Newbie

7.92 x 57

Aha! A Gestalt Moment!! If it was worth copying by the US military, it must be good! I do prefer the amount of retained energy the 8mm has at 700 yards...that Turk nickel jacket is still able to penetrate a cast iron pot at that range!

I will admit however that since the 3006 shoots a little straighter, I can save the clicks on the elevation knob on my scope...