Comments About the Savage Edge

Discussion in 'Savage' started by huffmanite, Oct 4, 2010.

1. huffmanite

huffmanite G&G Evangelist

First let me say, I have a good regard of Savage rifles. A fair amount of them will be found owned by gents I shoot with at a private range and they speak well of them. I have a couple of them and newest one is a Savage Edge in .223.

Just thought I'd relate a few things I didn't particularly like about my Edge for those who are thinking about buying one.

1. Factory trigger pull was heavy.....but like the Stevens 200, you can do something with the trigger spring to lighten the pull. However, the Edge has a coiled spring, not the easier to replace straight spring.

2. Spacing between factory weaver type scope mounts is long. You'd better have a long tubed rifle scope or be prepared to buy extension scope rings to mount a scope.

3. Ejection port for spent brass on the narrow side. I'm used to loading cartridges thru ejection port in receiver for single shot shooting of my rifles at range. You will need to use the detachable magazine, loading thru receiver is not easy.

4. Design of Edge stock allows for vertical Flex in area at rear of receiver. I use a homemade shooting cradle for shooting from bench at range. Rifle will rest in cradle near sling mount on forend and right behind pistol grip area of the butt. I'd put my scope on 20 power to sight a 100 yard target and when I began squeezing the trigger I noticed vertical movement of my elevation crosshair of at least 1" on my 100 yard target. Something I had never observed before in the many scoped rifles I have shot with using my shooting cradle. I could put one finger on stock just behind receiver safety and push lightly down and watch my elevation crosshair move up to 2" on my 100 yard target. Problem seems to be in how Savage designed the trigger guard and how it fits on bottom of stock. Front part of Trigger guard is secured to stock with rear receiver pillar bolt. However rear of trigger guard is not secured to stock in anyway, so their is a joint between trigger guard and stock and stock will flex in this area. You can watch the joint spread with downward pressure on stock.

Whats odd, is I can shoot decent groups with the rifle but the crosshair movement is rather bothersome to me. I've tried filling the cavities in stock above the trigger guard with epoxy steel but have not solved flex problem.

2. I've found that the safeties are really hard to operate on the Savage Edge....I think I'd just rather spend a little extra and get a Stevens 200 or a Savage 111.

3. aandabooks

aandabooks G&G Newbie

Huh? On my Edge, it is a Mossburg 500 style safety except it is indented so that it cups my thumb. Same location right on the top of the gun. Nothing complicated about that. Push it forward and the gun is ready to fire.

4. NNYRebel13

NNYRebel13 G&G Addict

NNY
    I handled an Edge at a local shop last week and I didn't like the way the rear of the stock fit my hand when I shouldered the rifle. My cousin with me and the guy behind the counter said the same thing about it when they handled it. I personally like my Stevens 200. I would buy another one if I had the chance and the extra cash. As for the Edge..maybe I just need to handle one a little more.

5. Midas

Midas Chief Troll B' Gone Forum Contributor

The Edge looks decent, but I think I would much rather stick to the Savage 110 and such.

6. The problem is that Savage changes their action bolt dimensions more than after market can keep up. The need to stick to the basics that work.

7. I ended getting one this last weekend,I had been wanting a 22-250 for a while and went to get a 700 varmit but found it to be too heavy.I would call it almost unusable with the 8lb trigger-You pull the trigger and check to see if you left the saftey on-Its that bad.I guess I got what I paid for!

8. tundrabuggy

tundrabuggy G&G Newbie

sorry to hear these things about the Edge, was really thinking of getting one just to have around to varmint hunt once in awhile. Sale ends today! Are they really that bad????

9. huffmanite

huffmanite G&G Evangelist

That Bad? Well, I'm an owner of a .223 Edge and while it shoots fairly well as far as accuracy, not a rifle I'd highly recommend to someone who wants a rifle that shoots well out of the box.

As I mentioned at beginning of thread, experienced a heavy trigger pull and a vertical stock flex problem. Trigger pull can be dealt with if you care to mess with trigger or replace it (if one is available for Edge). Presently, I have my Edge trigger pull down to around 2 lbs according to a fellow range shooter with a Lyman electronic trigger pull gauge. I may have fixed my stock flex problem that I blame on the overlarge trigger guard part and thin wrist area of stock that trigger guard fits into. Used Devcon steel to fill cavities under receiver in stock and then removed butt recoil pad to push epoxy putty into wrist area of stock. I'm still trying to decide if it is necessary to use some form of adheasive to glue the trigger guard on to the stock. By permanetly attaching the trigger guard to stock, it would definitely strenghten the weak area of the stock where flex occurs.

Dispite the stock flex, my .223 Edge does shoot fairly accurately. I have no problem busting clay pigeons sitting on our 200 yard berm. It is just very irritatting to watch my elevation crosshair move at least one inch on my 100 yard target before my trigger releases. It's not my imagination on crosshair movement. Others at range have sat down with my rifle and observed the same thing. Chuckle, my other 18 or so scoped rifles don't have any elevation movement of crosshair with my shooting cradle.