Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
shooting time had an article on them a couple of minths ago. they look interesting but not to sure of them yet, basicly the same as the other short mags but are using 20 inch barrels instead of the 24-26 that the others need to get the same results.

·
Registered
11,239 Posts
Go to Ruger Website

The Ruger website has a basic announcement of the cartridges. It will be interesting to see how
both these cartridges and the 375 Ruger perform in the marketplace. One test will be if other
manufacturers feel it justified to chamber the cartridges in their products.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Ya my main question was whether this cartridge was better than the 300 wsm in the same length barrles. The article that i read was only talking about how you could get the same performance with about 4 inches less. I dont really mind having the extra 4-6 inches on my rifle so i wanted to know if the cartridge had some advantages over the 300 wsm.

:feedback:

·
Chief Troll B' Gone
4,625 Posts
Seems the wheel gets re-invented every year in the firearms industry!

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well thats what i was wondering. All this cartridge seems to do is give good preformance out of a short barrel but if thats not your goal then does this cartridge display any other good qualities?

·
Chief Troll B' Gone
4,625 Posts
Well thats what i was wondering. All this cartridge seems to do is give good preformance out of a short barrel but if thats not your goal then does this cartridge display any other good qualities?
Not really, we already have a full line of WSM's, no need for anymore.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Ya my main question was whether this cartridge was better than the 300 wsm in the same length barrles.

:feedback:
From what I've read the new RCM cartridge has no advantage over the WSM in a long barrel. It's only advantage is that it gets better velocity in short barrels than the WSM would. I happen to like short barrels for the areas I hunt. They are thickly wooded and a short barrel just handles better for this situation. The problem I have with the concept is that when I'm hunting in thickly wooded areas the shots are at short range and that doesn't really require magnum performance. It may even be a detriment. I would be concerned that I needed to use bullets that don't come apart when they hit game at short range high velocity and also about the amount of meat damage these high velocity loads can cause at short range. I think this is another expensive solution to a non-existent problem.
Don

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good point. The only real advantage to having a short barrel is less weight, and more compact. you could carry it on a quad easier.

·
Registered
11,239 Posts
A thought for Magnumsrule . . . . .

Well, what anyone shoots is their business yet I must admit to being a little lost when it comes to the current crop of shortened cartridges. Let us suppose you own a bolt action .375 Holland and Holland (a very historically famous and size wise lengthy cartridge for newer shooters). Now, you are in the field and suddenly you have a fantastic shot at an appropriate game animal for that cartridge. I just can't believe on any level I will have some type advantage from the chambering of a shorter round of similar bore and ballistic performance. But . . . that's just my perspective and other people may feel differently.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The whole point of having the shortened cartridges is to use less powder to get the same performance. I dont know if you have read up on the wsm's but they use somewhere areound 30% less powder and get slightly better results. Now if you had a 375 wsm and had better preformance and where using less powder dosnt that make a difference? What you are saying is that if you have two cartridges with the same preformance and same caliber that you will have no advantage in the feild. Well if they are exactly the same then yes there is no difference. But maby it was because you had a pound less weight because you had a short fluted barrel that you even saw that animal. With the heavier barrel you may not have amde it as far. There are advantages and disadvantages to every cartridge but the wsm's and ruger compacts would not sell if knowone thought that they offered something new.

·
Chief Troll B' Gone
4,625 Posts
Well, what anyone shoots is their business yet I must admit to being a little lost when it comes to the current crop of shortened cartridges. Let us suppose you own a bolt action .375 Holland and Holland (a very historically famous and size wise lengthy cartridge for newer shooters). Now, you are in the field and suddenly you have a fantastic shot at an appropriate game animal for that cartridge. I just can't believe on any level I will have some type advantage from the chambering of a shorter round of similar bore and ballistic performance. But . . . that's just my perspective and other people may feel differently.
I agree, it doesn't make a lick of difference in the field. I like the looks of the old school belted mags, and I like how they perform. But for someone to say they have the advantage in the field, because they are using a shorty of some kind, that is total BS. I will admit, I never really saw what the big hoopla about the WSM's was about, maybe I'm just too old :bigeyes:

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I have a question for you two. HAve you ever not chambered a second round becasue you caught the belt with the bolt? And yes a agree that the belted mags look cool.

·
Chief Troll B' Gone
4,625 Posts
I have a question for you two. HAve you ever not chambered a second round becasue you caught the belt with the bolt? And yes a agree that the belted mags look cool.
I have never had a problem with belted mags not feeding right, this seems to be a phenomena which started to occur when the WSM's came out. Not saying that it doesn't happen, just that i have never run into any problems with the belt. It's odd that the belted magnum cartridges started to develop all of these problems, upon the release of the short mags. I remember shooting a .300 Win Mag back in 1984, it was hailed as an outstanding cartridge, but now a days, it's almost worthless with all of these shorties out there :D

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well i have heard stories from other people that when you get excitied and you dont pull the bolt back far enough you usually catch the belt on the next case. Ive heard some say it was the recoil moving the cartridges around some how but i dont know about that. The two animals i shot i got with one round from my 7mm MAG not wsm. However when i went to chamber a second round in case the next cartridge would jam. I still think that the 300 win mag is an excellent cartridge along with the other cartridges, but i do believe that the wsm have there own merit as well. What nat was saing just isnt a fair comparison. If the two cartridges are exactly the same caliber and have the same PERFORMANCE then what kind of camparison is that? Thats the whole point is that they do not have quite the same PERFORMANCE. They also save on powder as a said above.

·
Chief Troll B' Gone
4,625 Posts
Even though I don't use the WSM's, a lot of folks like em, and they really arn't bad cartridges. On top of that, they are bringing money into the firearms industry, which is a good thing.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts