Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How Taurus Model 44 stack up against S&W 629 and Ruger Red Hawk. I only shot S&W 629 ( rental gun) and really like it a lot but it just a little bit over my budget. How Taurus Model 44 stand up against continue use of .44 Magnum ( most likely will be 240 grain plated and jacket hollow point bullet) and occasionally factory full house .44 Magnum load? I only have one Taurus revolver ( Tracker ) and I really like it a lot .
:feedback:

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
the taurus tracker 44 and the m44 are suppose to be pretty good guns, the ruger redhawk by far is the most rugged and durable of the 3

·
Banned
1,928 Posts
the taurus tracker 44 and the m44 are suppose to be pretty good guns, the ruger redhawk by far is the most rugged and durable of the 3
I agree, Ruger in general is a verry rugged gun, the Redhawk has a very mild recoil and is a beutiful gun also.

·
Registered
767 Posts
I have a taurus tracker in .357 with a 4" barrel, and it is the most accurate sidearm I have ever owned. And with the porting, my 98 pound wife can shoot it one handed and feel almost no recoil...amazing.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I only own the Redhawk 44M but a pal has the Raging Bull and the Tracker which he let me shoot. I don't know anything about Taurus's other revolvers but those two are precision beauties.

·
Registered
17,237 Posts
As a Gunsmith for over 30 years, I have had to work on too many Taurus guns. I have found poor Machining, poor quality fitting on parts, Brand new guns (Titanium too)that Locked up after less than a box of shells, due to parts disconnecting and jamming internally.Parts that break to easily...
Sights that fell off while shooting. etc. Seen some cracked frames in the early years. Taurus Customer service gave us the runaround on repairs, so I don't like em. I stick with Rugers, Colts, Smiths, and the better quality guns , especially when my life May depend on it...What price can you put on Life ???
My Rugers and Smiths can be full of leaves and sticks and will still fire when called upon...I call em "Alaska tested and approved".
This is My opinion Based on hands on experience.
Rich

·
Registered
740 Posts
As a Gunsmith for over 30 years, I have had to work on too many Taurus guns. I have found poor Machining, poor quality fitting on parts, Brand new guns (Titanium too)that Locked up after less than a box of shells, due to parts disconnecting and jamming internally.Parts that break to easily...
Sights that fell off while shooting. etc. Seen some cracked frames in the early years. Taurus Customer service gave us the runaround on repairs, so I don't like em.
15 years ago Savage was a nobody. Now everybody has one. They practically rule the long gun market today. How has Taurus been lately to you? 30 years ago is a long time. Customer service-wise Taurus was first to give lifetime guarantees. Whether or not they lived up to them I don't know. Do you see Taurus as adapting and changing? Are your views retro? Is S&W the S&W of 30 years ago?

·
Banned
1,928 Posts
Some Tarus are very good guns, I have had a very used Tarus Brazil 38special revolver since 2003, now it is probably very very very used but still shoots like the day I bought it, there seems to always be pros and cons of things, Tarus I think they have great revolvers and semiautos but, Smith revolvers are great but the semiautos: sorry Smith semi fans but some models are crap, I have a movie called In The Line Of Duty The FBI Murders based on a very true story, they used Tarus revolvers and Smith semiautos and 4 men died that day the two bad guys and two officers: one officer because he broke his glasses first thing when the shooting started, how ironic, the second his gun jammed half way through the shootout and guess what he was carrying a Smith&Wesson, now I cant tell u exactly what model but I know a manufacture when I see it very specificly by the shape and style, needless to say when the killer finally got through 4 wounded FBI agents and killed Ben Grogan the senior FBI agent(the best shot), he killed Jerry Dove(the rookie). The town was in Florida, sorry it doesent list it on the cover and I am not going to watch it just to post it on here, maybe in the morning, the killers were Michael Platt(weapon:223 ruger) sorry not a rifleman dont know specific model, will let u guy figure out, and the other shooter was William Matrix(weapon: 12gauge Mossberg 500), at the end they were so riddled with bullet wounds they finally got in the car and Michael Platt could not bring his arm up to turn the key, Ed Mundo the last standing at the time fired two rounds of buckshot at the car but they were so doped up they were still breathing, assuming they haven't hit any vital organs yet, Michael Platt gets out of the car goes around to the other car and shoots 3 feet away from Ed Mundo who is sitting with 5 bulletholesin him at the trunk of the car, Michael fires but cant even bring his arm above his waist because hes so full of holes, he runs out of ammo then gets back in the car with William Matrix and trys again to start the car but this time it does ent start probably because of so many bullets in it. Ed Mundo gets up one last time and walks over to the two killers and fires 6 shots from his Tarus Brazil 38 special revolver hitting Williamin the chest 2 times and Michael 3 in the chest, this all took place in a small town in Florida in 1986, sorry cant remember the town but you can type it in anywhere and find it. ,After all that it had me questioning Smith&Wesson(Autos), the revolvers are great I own a 357 686+ (stainless steal), but will not pay for one of there autos. It is your opinion what model u pic, just giving you some very true information on one Smith used in combat and one Taurus.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Sights that fell off while shooting. etc. Seen some cracked frames in the early years. Taurus Customer service gave us the runaround on repairs, so I don't like em. I stick with Rugers, Colts, Smiths, and the better quality guns , especially when my life May depend on it...What price can you put on Life ???
My Rugers and Smiths can be full of leaves and sticks and will still fire when called upon...I call em "Alaska tested and approved".
This is My opinion Based on hands on experience.
Rich
Mooseman684
Thank for your information. I was outbid at Gunbroker.com for Taurus M44 so now my search for .44 Magunum is back to square one.:)

gunney_m
I will have to rent that movie , I think I saw it once on television long time ago. It was base on real shooting at Dade county , FL .I have article from Gun magazine wrote by Massad Ayoob about this real incident . The Bad guy use Ruger Mini 14 with Choate folding stock and high capacity magazines and S&W model 1300 , 12 gauge shotgun with folding stock ( yes, S&W use to make pump action shotgun) they also have 6 inches barrel .357 Magnum revolver (S&W or Dan Wesson ) in shoulder holster. The pistol that FBI agent were using was S&W M 59 with with Winchester silvertip bullet, other agent carried S&W model 36 snubnose and model 586 or 65 .The most interesting about this shooting incident was that with all the high power bullet , buck shot , 9 mm Hollow point flew around , the one that really end the fight was good ole .38 special with 158 grain bullet .:)

·
Registered
17,237 Posts
If you were here, I could fix you up with an Engraved NRA Lmited Edition Model 629 S&W for 750.00 that is Beautiful, and Original Box...How does that Compare ???
Rich

15 years ago Savage was a nobody. Now everybody has one. They practically rule the long gun market today. How has Taurus been lately to you? 30 years ago is a long time. Customer service-wise Taurus was first to give lifetime guarantees. Whether or not they lived up to them I don't know. Do you see Taurus as adapting and changing? Are your views retro? Is S&W the S&W of 30 years ago?
The Last Taurus I fixed was A brand NEW Titanium Revolver that Dropped the internal parts apart and locked the Cylinder up after 18 rounds of Factory ammo, that was a few months back...It was a New production Gun and the internal machining was Rough like the machine bit used was broken or Chipped or dull as heck...I was appalled because Quality Control should have caught this.
Rich

·
Premium Member
30,730 Posts
hey mooseman,
what are your thoughts on the raging bull?

·
Registered
36,568 Posts
I own and shoot 2 of the Three, and I love em both.
I GUARANTEE you that neither are a POS Taurus.
Rich
You really seem to have a hard on for Taurus, don't you? All I can say is I am quite happy with both of mine, and my 22 year old model 66 .357 is still the absolute most accurate pistol I own.

Show me your S&W or Ruger that will do this with 50 rounds at 7 yards unsupported. And I did it on my then 21 year old Taurus with literally tens of thousands of rounds through it.

·
Registered
36,568 Posts
I probably would have for my .454 Casull if the Taurus wasn't 100 bucks cheaper.

·
Premium Member
30,730 Posts
mine was an impulse buy.
a lotta money to get impulsive with.....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts