close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Complete Newbie: Where to Start?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Mico, Mar 21, 2002.

1. Mico

Mico G&G Newbie

I've never done handloading but want to start soon. Where can I find out about types of equipment, what's involved, etc? Went to my gun store but they're more into high-pressure sales than giving info.

2. lefty o

lefty o G&G Evangelist

mn
    you need a press,powder measure scale, dies, and most importantly as many reloading manuals as you can lay your hands on. what do you plan on reloading rifle, pistol, or shotgun?

3. Jack O

Jack O G&G Newbie

Hey Mico do a key word search on handloading or reloading. There are some sights that have step by step veiwing of reloading and they discuss it as they go along. I believe NRA has one but there are several to choose from to help you get beter acustom to handloading. Great new hobbie hope you enjoy it.

4. Mico

Mico G&G Newbie

Thanks, guys! I plan on reloading pistol and rifle, notably .32 ACP, .30 Mauser, .38 S&W for pistol and .303 and 7.62 X 54 for rifle.

I've heard the terms "single stage" used... I guess what I also wanted to ask is where can I find what types of equipment there are? Which is best (fastest)?

I had planned to get the stuff lefty o describes, but where to start?? Foir example, I've seen RCBS and Lee make dies for these calibers, but are they interchangable, or do each require their own machine?

5. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

Mico -- you would be best off beginning with something basic that can cover all the calibers you want to load the Lee Anniversary Kit is an excellent deal for the beginner. it has everything you will need including a loading manual which you should read cover to cover before even beginning. As to the definition of single stage that is simple it would be when you do one process at a time decapping/resizing, expanding(pistol), and seating/crimping. The dies are the only thing that needs to be changed to go from one caliber to another.

Now don't get into the speed issue many people make the biggest mistake by running out and getting a huge Progressive rig and then are overwhelmed give your self some time and when you do you will find that plinking ammo is best done progressively and that ammo you want for precision should be done single stage as you will want to check down to the .01 grain of powder.

RCBS is excellent in the products but when you start doing match grade use them -- I have about 30 sets of lee dies compared to the 8 sets of RCBS. Also Lee dies are about $10.00 less when it comes to the cost and Lee offers a factory crimp die for all the rifle calibers which isn't offered by other manufacturers

www.leeprecision.com is a good resource and depending where you live the anniversary kit can run you approximatetly $65

Feel free to write me if I can help I reload as a side business and average 75000 rounds a year

6. jerry

jerry Patriotic Member Forum Contributor

USA
    an educated consumer is very powerful. do some research, read everything you can get your hands on. then go back and let the sales reps know what YOU would like to do. If you really want to get into this there are good manuals that will guide you through the process.

7. J.A.

J.A. G&G Newbie

8. Mico

Mico G&G Newbie

Wow! Guys, thank you all very, VERY much. Shaun, I will definitely be emailing you. Can you send me your addy? I am at tervs@mindspring.com

Mico

9. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

check your e-mail

10. Double D

Double D G&G Newbie

SOCAL
    Check out Midwayusa.com for a source to purchase from. Very friendly, easy to order(after you do your researcha dn write down all part numbers so it's easier while online). The offer virtually all brands of equipment, manuals and tools at the best prices I've found anywhere. Single stage is a good place to start and after a while you can get pretty fast with them. Buy a good electronic scale. Yes it's more expensive ,but welll worth the investment.

11. JohnW

JohnW G&G Newbie

Both Lee and RCBS are very gery good. The only problem I have with Lee is they're dies. A buddy of mine has reloaded as long as I have and about as much. He is on his second set of Lee dies and my RCBS are still going strong. I started with an RCBS Partner press kit about 16 years ago and still use it to this day. RCBS also has a step by step view of what is involved in reloading at their website.

12. Have the old brass

As a Police Rangemaster I found that crooks used a lot of old weapons that our officers had to test on my range and I have a lifetime collection of old brass that as the city Scoutmaster the scouts helped me teach the city Hunter Safety Courses and they policed the civilian ranges we used, cleaned, sorted, inspected and packaged the brass in exchange for camping equipment that I paid them with. I sold a lot at gun shows but have 38 S&W and 30 mauser and 30 luger that I made. We have a lot of modern and old ammo and brass. Paul Jones fitz_frips@hotmail.com