Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In light of the shootings at Virginia Tech and Northern Illinois University (NIU), students across the nation have assembled in support of policies for concealed carry of guns on college campuses. The group known as Students for Concealed Carry on Campus (SCCC) has garnered more than 18,000 members, becoming the largest non-profit student organization advocating the right to carry concealed guns for safety and security reasons.

More...

·
Registered
27 Posts
ABOUT TIME, good for all them. I know people are scared about more guns around,but the people that are legal and registered are (hopefully) not the the ones you need to worry about.

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
Our students need and deserve the protection that licensed and trained CCW people can provide to make the campus safer. But you CCW folks need to understand the Pandora's Box of legal problems you can open with each and every round you fire.

·
Banned
4,449 Posts
I really hope nothing bad happens from them carrying. You all know that one mishap and it will turn into one huge media-frenzied scandal about how we should never let guns anywhere.

However, there is no real defense against that type of guerrilla tactic either that these shooters employ. You can't even fully prepare for it, because it is so random and out of the blue and no one ever sees it coming.

·
Gun Toting Boeing Driver
20,585 Posts
CCW holders are a capable, responsible lot. Only good things can happen by expanding where they're not prohibited from carrying.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have two daughters in college, I worry all the time about some nut opening fire in an "unarmed" crowded area. Such as a school or mall etc.
I think at the very least, faculty should carry after proper training and mental evaluation.
I have a CCW and I carry wherever it is legal, shopping centers, malls, parking lots etc.
If a qualified faculty member had been armed at the time of any of these random shootings, lives might have been saved.
I am not sure I am comfortable with having students carrying in large numbers.
We all know that $hit might happen if you have a large number of guns in the hands of college age kids.

But if faculty were given the opportunity to carry, some shooters might think twice before marching into a school with a weapon.
And if a shooting did occur, it might be minimized instead of carnage.
Just my opinion, just as I agree that sky marshals should be present on flights.
A undercover sky marshal on a flight, or a faculty member in a overcrowded auditorium with a concealed weapon would at least be a start at some form of protection, for the unarmed general population.
My CCW, and my gun go where I go.
Personally, I would not be without my gun under certain circumstances. ~JJ~

·
Registered
62 Posts
:Thinkingof_:
I really hope nothing bad happens from them carrying. You all know that one mishap and it will turn into one huge media-frenzied scandal about how we should never let guns anywhere.

However, there is no real defense against that type of guerrilla tactic either that these shooters employ. You can't even fully prepare for it, because it is so random and out of the blue and no one ever sees it coming.
#1. I think bad happens by not being allowed to carry? Of course the haters will make a big deal if one thing happens but that's no reason not to have change.
#2. There is a real defense capability to minimize injury and death count from this type of tactic by carrying. Much better than sitting there ready to be executed by a crazy person. Draw quick and shoot. Hopefully you're not his first choice but if you are you may still survive. Stay in aware mode.
You may notice somthing everyone else missed.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Concealed Carry for Students.

Have read with some interest the news of students campaigning to carry a concealed firearm on campus. As we increasingly become an armed society I hesitate to arm everyone on campus. There is no litmus test to measure the maturity of any individual. That quality is missing in many of our citizens regardless of physical age. On campus carry for students is a serious question. As a Master Firearms Instructor I would rather see armed faculty members than students. Here is why. Limiting the number of guns on campus to those that have extensive specialized training in combat tactics is much more favorable than the thought of 30,000 students toting their hog leg around campus. The logistics of training that many is mind boggling. Threat level identification is the first step in an assault situation. The second step is presenting the appropriate response for the level of threat, that is not always a firearm. How many times do you read about a Police Officer screwing up with a firearm and if so civil litigation runs into the millioins. Students are there for the short haul. Faculty are there for years. We are better off putting the civil liability in the hands of fully trained mature individuals than someone untested with little to no life experience to guide them in making a life/death decision. Would you want your child tried for the inappropriate use of a firearm? Would you want to be sued for their acgtions in a wrongful death suit.? This topic needs careful consideration.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts