close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Concealed weapons in cars

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by SPOCAHP ANAR, May 31, 2002.

How do you view guns in a car?

1. A gun is inanimate and can do no harm unless pointed at someone and matters not if it is in plain si

14 vote(s)
    93.3%
  2. You should follow state laws bc they wil keep you from doing bad things with your gun.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. You should not have a gun in your car unless you have a CCW.

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  1. SPOCAHP ANAR

SPOCAHP ANAR G&G Enthusiast

Should it be illegal for you to have a concealed weapon while driving your car. This could be in your jacket, glovebox, under the seat, next to the seat under a shirt etc...

My thinking is a hidden weapon is of no danger unless it is picked up and aimed at someone.

Two related experiences: I had a pistol in company car and was rear ended. I told the HP I had a pistol that was loaded (i think) and had a trigger lock on it and it was in a zippered sleeve under some work manuals in a box. He told me that I was violating the law. I told him I thought could be hidden as long as it was secured(locked up). He said it could not be concealed. I told him I would remove it to the open. He said we would talk later, but we never did. Nothing else was ever said. I even told the sheriff deputy about it and he acted surprised that I was offering this info and even said to leave alone he didn't need to see it. I told him I was just alerting him to the fact, but he really didn't seem to care.

Another story I am stopped one night about 10:30 for a license check on a SC hwy in the middle of nowhere. I told the HP as soon as I opened the window and handed him my DL "I have a pistol by my side" (between the seat/console). He then asked me to place hands on wheel, reached in to get the pistol and asked if I had a CCW. I told him the pistol was not concealed. He asked why I had it. I told him to protect the family while traveling. He began to tell me that SC you could only transporrt a firearm in the trunk or glovebox and asked where I wanted him to put it. I told him in the glove box which is where I wish to put it but in NC we can't do that. He told me had he been a rookie I could be spending the night in jail. He said it also helped that I told him of the pistol as soon as I opened the window. He was really cool headed as most have been when I am in this situation. One or two may have been a little anal about it.

2. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

Well, one of the reasons I got a CHL was so I could easily transport firearms without worrying about this.
    PS: My answer to the poll is D. None of the above.

3. wes

wes G&G Newbie

I see your car as an extension of your house,it happens to be where you are residing at the moment. I think you should be secure in your constitutional rights there also.

4. Eric

Eric G&G Newbie

USA
    A buddy of mine and I were going thru SC. We got pulled over, my Buddy was driving. When the HP got to the window he saw my pistol on the passenger side between the seat and console. He immediately pulled his gun and ordered us out of the car. He moved us to the rear of the vehicle, then got my gun and said, "who's is this?" when I replied mine, he said, "You're going to jail"...it took a whole lot of talking to get out of that. I said I had a CCW permit for it. When I showed it to him, he said that's not SC and I said "I know, but when it was issued to me, they said other states would honor it" He then had to call his supervisor. Basically his supervisor told him to handle it as he saw fit....ALOT of talking later we were on our way. Somewthing is definately wrong in SC

5. Libertyman777

Libertyman777 G&G Newbie

It should be legal and states should honor each others concealed carry laws.

6. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

Other states do not have to honor a CCW license, unlike driver's licenses, marriage licenses, etc. You have to check if there is a reciprical agreement with the other states. My Texas CHL is good in about 20 states.

7. SPOCAHP ANAR

SPOCAHP ANAR G&G Enthusiast

I agree with you Wes on the car being an extension of your property and thus the 4th should apply. Isn't that why the cops can't just search your car unless they have probable cause or a warrant, and if there are any LEO's reading this what exactly is defined as probable cause.

I know that being a cop is stressfull and god knows I wouldn't want to have to be pulling over cars I weren't sure of. I wonder where some of this hostility comes from. I mean be safe and approach a car as if I were a criminal (which is what you are supposed to do) but use some common sense. No one is going to tell you they have a pistol and then try to whack you off; and if its hidden, well being out in the open isn't going to stop him from shooting you if he wants.

Where do you suppose these ideas for guns/cars come from? I would like to see the government/states do more in trying to streamline some of these regulations and educate the populace a little better. You know that when you buy a gun there are no reference to any laws concerning the handling of that weapon, except the child law. You would think the government would make sure that you know and understand all the laws before you took it home. It doesn't make much sense to have all these laws but make no effort to educate people on them. Look at how many people think you can just shoot a guy if he breaks into your house. This is untrue unless you can prove you had no other option except to shoot them (in most states).

8. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

I always carry my .38 taurus in a tote bag next to my seat in my truck,legal or not. Rather be tryed by 12 than carried by 6 !!!

9. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

I have a license to carry..but I believe in my state your vehicle is considered your domain

10. I once had almost all of my guns taken from me that were in a truck that I wasnt even driving. Me and two other guys went shooting for the day and on the way home I was driving my truck and my buddies were driving a company truck. They got pulled over on the way home and I had a German 8mm behind the seat, a Ruger .357 and a Colt.45 under the seat and a Ruger Mk II in the glove box. All of the guns were in a holster except for the 8mm. They seized all the guns and impounded the company truck. The driver went to jail until the next day. It took me a little over 2 months of going to court to get my guns released back to me and explaining to the judge that the driver didnt know I had all the guns in the truck. The funny part was that the .22 that was in the glove box was NOT considered to be concealed but all the other ones were. It was sure hard to tell my boss on Monday morning that his truck was in the impound yard. My days at that job were very numbered after that.

11. Oxford

Oxford G&G Evangelist

Just asking a simple question

I don't have a FFL but would welcome the opportunity to do so if MO legislators would get their heads out of the sand.

When going to/from the range why not put all guns in a lockable box in your trunk? Then label the box as guns. In addition, put a tag on the outside of the locked box with your name and FFL number, if available.

Can't see how that would be considered as a threat to any reasonable LEO.

Oxford

12. Shaun

Shaun G&G Evangelist

I carry everywhere and the car included the two times I have had to rely on my carry gun was while i was in my truck so it makes sense to have it in the car

13. BenP

BenP G&G Newbie

With privilege comes responsibility. In most states, CCW law says you have to be wearing the firearm, which means it has to be contained in something that you wear, like a holster, a fanny pack, inside your belt, etc. If I don't feel like wearing my gun on me while I'm driving(a glock 21 is a little bulky), I put it in a fanny pack and put the strap around my leg loosely. That way, I'm still wearing the firearm, but I'm more comfortable. In pickup trucks in Washington, you can transport an unloaded rifle or shotgun in a gun rack as long as it's unloaded and the breech or action is open.

Too bad it's still a taboo for men to wear purses. Women can pack in theirs, and then just throw the thing in the passenger seat on the way home. If they get pulled over, they can say they were wearing it but took it off to retrieve their id or something.

In the unlikely event I am pulled over, I just hand my CCW to the cop along with my driver's license. I figure he'll realize I'm packing, then he won't be too surprised if he sees it.

14. Oxford

Oxford G&G Evangelist

I'd like to have that problem.

I would like to have that problem in MO. So far I just read about what happens in other states. No CCW here yet but in due course I'm hoping our legislators will wake up.

Oxford

15. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

An armed society is a polite society

16. Chris

Chris Administrator Staff Member

One problem, I see a lot is that if a cop thinks/knows you are packing, then he is more prone to be tougher on you, just my expierences with them, and they are limited expierences I might add :)

17. E-9

E-9 G&G Newbie

I have a ccw and I carry a M1911 or A1 every day of my life. I have a hard time understanding why people in some states are not permitted to protect themselves. Oh yes, and that includes
    sunday too.

.............................................E-9 ..................................

18. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

Since I carry one for a living anyway, and am going to the police academy in September, I'm not too worried about getting pulled over with my gun. However, I just wish Ohio would wake up to the fact that civillians have the same right to self-defense as police officers do, especially in a car on a desolate highway far from home. JMHO

19. Shaun

Shaun G&G Evangelist

Chris you may have read of bad experiences many times even when I made T stops when I found out someone was packing legally I usually BS'd with them and let them off with a warning for the traffic issue. Most CCW holders are the most responsible of our citizens and they are always of assistance to LEO's

20. Oxford

Oxford G&G Evangelist

Talked today with my state rep regarding CCW

This morning at my weekly Rotary Club meeting I talked face to face with my state legislator. He reported on the action of the recently adjourned state legislature in MO.

I asked him point blank if he voted for the proposed CCW bill which had been presented to him. He chickened out saying that he voted no because the proposed bill allowed guns to be carried in churches and schools. Otherwise, he said he favored passage and thought the mood swing in MO was very definitely to favor passage.

I have a hard time understanding why this proposed state legislation included some kind of red flag clause unless it was intended to do just what it did in this case.

Too many legislators probably felt the same way and this tactic has just become a way to stall or delay passage of a CCW law in Missouri.

Oxford

:fuss: