Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I ran across this '78 Model 70 XTR for sale in .270. Blueing looks excellent, stock has some bumps and bruises skin deep in the finish along with a clustering of small dings on the cheekpiece In the original pics, I can zoom in and see the actual condition. I love me some shiny rifles and know I can CA fill the dings, sand and topcoat to like new as I do with guitars I restore as a hobby.

I thought I might like to add this one to my collection for shooting at the range. I don't currently have a Winchester rifle and always admired the Model 70.

What do you think it's worth?

·
Premium Member
9,116 Posts
It depends on year, caliber, condition and also they used so many different design stocks on them. I have a M70 XTR Featherweight in 270 also. I bought mine new and ordered it in like around 1983. They came tapped for scope bases but no sights. I ordered mine with sights though back then. These rifles had the most beautiful black walnut stocks back then and also a mirror blue finish that resembled black chrome. Also the jeweled bolt body. I paid about $600 for mine back then and was a lot of money. I have the fancy checkering also . I have seen a few like mine selling for $1200 lately. Here is one like mine but not my actual rifle. It looks exact though. I would say that particular one would sell now about $900 in good condition

1610414754234.png

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The price I negotiated on the one pictured is $700 incl shipping.

I just contacted a guy I recently bought an NOS Zastava-made Remington 798 from (he's a Remington Collector). He's selling his personal deer rifle, also a Model 70 XTR in like-new condition with a Leupold 4-12 scope already mounted. Same stock, checkering and fore-end cap as the one above so likely from the same era but (and a big but), it's in 7mm Rem Mag.

The rifle is gorgeous but I think that a 7mm Mag cartridge would be tiring for bench shooting and ammo is really pricey for it. I shot a 7mm Weatherby Mag once and seem to recall it's kick was like a 30.06 but more jarring. On the other hand, with the other rifles I have (270, 243, 223) sharing time at the range, I guess I wouldn't be shooting the Winchester all that much, maybe 20 rounds in a setting but that's still 20 Magnum rounds.

Any thoughts on 7mm Mag?

·
Registered
992 Posts
The price I negotiated on the one pictured is $700 incl shipping.

I just contacted a guy I recently bought an NOS Zastava-made Remington 798 from (he's a Remington Collector). He's selling his personal deer rifle, also a Model 70 XTR in like-new condition with a Leupold 4-12 scope already mounted. Same stock, checkering and fore-end cap as the one above so likely from the same era but (and a big but), it's in 7mm Rem Mag.

The rifle is gorgeous but I think that a 7mm Mag cartridge would be tiring for bench shooting and ammo is really pricey for it. I shot a 7mm Weatherby Mag once and seem to recall it's kick was like a 30.06 but more jarring. On the other hand, with the other rifles I have (270, 243, 223) sharing time at the range, I guess I wouldn't be shooting the Winchester all that much, maybe 20 rounds in a setting but that's still 20 Magnum rounds.

Any thoughts on 7mm Mag?
I have both calibers and an ought 6 and 7x57 Win. "lightweight. All great shooters. And the 7 mag is easy to shoot. If you reload the 7 mag doesn't cost much to shoot. Either or any are good shooting guns. If it doesn't shoot the groups you want then glass bed it. Mine will shoot 5/8" groups all day long. 700 bucks is an ok price now considering the lack of used guns on the shelf.

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
All very nice rifles and love the stocks especially. Quite a difference in them and the 1974 Model 70 I owned. On mine the walnut nothing to brag about and the bluing looked more matte than high polish. Also the trigger pull was plain heavy. Sure did improve on the XTR line. Think it ran me around $220 with a 10% discount back then. A Remington 700 took it's place.

·
Premium Member
23,739 Posts
I think you probably did okay at $700.00.
Good shopping unless it has some undisclosed problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts