Contender pistol fans

Discussion in 'Thompson' started by giturgun, Oct 28, 2007.

1. some day I will get one of those XP,s
    always been a sucker for a specialty pistol
    a 308 one would be big fun

2. wharf

wharf G&G Evangelist

I loved mine,I had a 308 first then a 7mmbr.I could hit the shoot off targets at 200m no probs.About the size of a pack of smokes.

3. Never said it was a handgun at 1,000, but who could possibly think anyone could eben TRY or IMPLY that?! Did you really think I was implying I shot a handgun at 1,000? I ain't no Elmer Keith, (who could hit out past 400 yards with a handgun) and never will be!

No, that was a Rolling Block .45-70 Gov't w/28" octagon, shot from the "back positon" with 500 grain Postnell on a compressed charge of Black Powder. As long as I could get the Soule sight on target I could hit the target.

You could clearly see the trail of the bullet cutting through the air- unles it was REAL DRY air- and could clearly tell if it would be a hit or a miss. Any experienced competiton shooter can do this, even with a .308 Win or .30-06 @ 1,000 yards. And yes, common sense dictates that you need a spotting scope to see your score at that distance, now, don't it, huh?

Handguns, as mentioned earlier, I prefer to stay at 200 and I limit to no more than 300 yards or so, but, with a 2.5x to 4x, those distances are easy hits.

I was just ragging on your extremely high magnification sopes on a whimpy little .223... I much prefer heavy bullets at long distances, since they are way more fun.

4. You honnestly believe I was talking about 1,000 yard handgun shooting?

Hmm... you wanna' get together and play some poker?

5. .308 from an XP-100? That couldn't have been too comfortable to spend a whole afternoon shooting... put a high power scope on that & tag your foreahead, I would bet.

6. Maybe I will get a 45-70 barrel with iron sights
    the ole 30 yard sledgehammer....

7. GUNZABLAZIN

GUNZABLAZIN G&G Evangelist

I had a friend that had a 45/70 Contender, he was going to sight it in for deer hunting. He isn't a wimp, he's a bricklayer, not a big guy, but a tough Viet Nam vet! He didn't have anything loaded up but full house rifle loads, thought those ought to be good for deer,lets see how they group? First shot he held on to the gun , but it went over his head and smacked himself in the middle of the back with the gun, he said he stretched his arms and chest muscles, was sore for days and had a bruise in the middle of his back. His next shots were a "pistol load" !!! We still tease him at the gunshop!!!

8. My .45-70 Gov't Contender is a 16" Carbine, weight about 5 pounds. I shoot the 405 gr rifle load, and it is very controllable, with the muzzle break/expansion chamber on the barrel.
    Accuracy out to 250 yards w/enough power for white tail deer.
    Tried my 500 gr Postnell load in it one day, got LOTS of muzzle flash, burnt hair off back of left hand, saw spots for 20 minutes...
    Wouldn't try that load in a handgun length barrel.

9. I am installing a WITT muzzle brake and a 8x32x44mm target scope.
    I am dead set on watching the bullet impact. ;)

10. I can already shoot it one handed from the rest thanks to that big honkin barrel
    but now it will be a piece of cake.
    I better watch out or this one will become such a joy to shoot my bride will start hogging it!

11. Once again I am going with a Mueller scope.
    this will be the second one I have bought
    the first was an eradicator and I loved it.

12. oldjarhead

oldjarhead G&G Evangelist

MO
    Well, Let's see, we're on a T/C Contender thread.

No you're NOT an Elmer Keith...in fact, you're NOT a johnny Schmucatelli either...Now, a Bobby Bloehard...ehhhh, perhaps

You prefer to stay at 200 yards and you limit to no more than 300 yards or So... Doesn't that "so" negate the 300 yard limit?

Dang, I bet you'd really rag on my 12-40x50 scope on my .22 Hornet. (if I had one)

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
  13. oldjarhead

oldjarhead G&G Evangelist

MO
    I bought a Mueller after you posted about yours...long time ago and installed it on my Savage 10...great scope for the money. I've since replaced the Mueller with a Nikon BDC and installed the Mueller on my .22 Hornet.

I got the Mueller from Missouri Mule but they don't seem to have a web-site anymore. Where do you get yours?

14. same place

15. 1968Contender44HotShot

1968Contender44HotShot G&G Newbie

I inherited my fathers mid 1968 Contender with 44 mag and 222 barrels. Missing bottom cap on pistol grip. It is rectangular. I used to have a G2 with 45/410 and 30 Herret. I made my own 30 herrit ammo. Was a fun cartridge. I picked up a 71 contender with original soft black case with gold TC logo and 44 mag, 30-30 and 45 lc barrels.

16. i love big bores and i cannot lie! boomp de boomp!

17. update
    i am going with a vortex viper 20x
    what sold me on it was the clarity at max power.
    even the edges were very clear cranked all the way up.

18. once i got over the hump of paying so much for a single shot anything.
    and i got one.
    they can be really nice target guns.
    they will never compete with the high dollar bolts
    but they can outshoot an awful lot of other guns.

19. tomorrow i should be getting the burris signature zee rings for the new scope. i think i will zero it at 300 yards. i cant wait to start nailing golf balls at distance.

20. Pumpkinheaver

Pumpkinheaver G&G Evangelist

I picked up my first Contender a week or so ago. It is chambered in 35 Remington. Shoots very well with Hornady leverevolution factory loads, even better with my 158XTPs over 3031!

billy likes this.