Converting a Rem 870 to a slug gun

Discussion in 'Shotguns' started by joamariel, Aug 15, 2010.

1. joamariel

joamariel G&G Newbie

So I have a standard Rem 870 in that I keep for home defense but I was interested in getting into a little deer or hog hunting with it. Is it as a easy as buying a rifled rem barrel and swapping them out? Does someone have any good advice on how I should proceed?

2. texnmidwest

texnmidwest Sir Loin of Beef Forum Contributor

Easiest way is to buy another barrel. They are readily available but not cheap. Barrels cost almost as much as a new shotgun!

What I did was keep an eye out on the used gun racks and found a used Winchester 1300 slug gun for a good price. That is one option.

Another option is to just shoot rifled slugs. These are slugs that have "fins" made into the slug that cause it to spin and stabilize in flight. Not as accurate but will get the job done. If shots are 50 yards or less this may be a viable option.

3. Not sure what it cost for a 870 but i know for a 500 mossy 24 inch rifled slug barrel was about 210 when I bought it with a scope. And a buddy of mine bought same thing for his off of Cheeper than dirt for 190 bucks.

4. Well,

the barrel route is one way to go but price can be a factor.

Another route for some of us has been to purchase a really great single shot rifled slug gun such as offered by [email protected] and Rossi.

I have a twenty gauge Rossi that has delivered consistent accuracy especially in the fifty to seventy five yard ranges.

Best wishes.

5. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

Don't forget, Mossberg makes a slug barrel for the Rem 870 that is cheaper than the Rem barrel.

6. BLanich

BLanich G&G Newbie

One word, ok two, Hastings Rifled barrel. I have an 870 20ga. that is a tack driver with that barrel and Solid Copper sabots from Remington.

7. jashoffa

jashoffa G&G Newbie

Personally I find the rifled barrel a good investment over the smooth bore barrel. You will not be disapointed. Much better accuracy and that equals a much more confident shooter, at least in my case.

8. I agree. I bought a Remington 870 20 gauge combo with the rifled slug barrel and the bird barrel a while back. I've taken around 5 or 6 deer with it and the Winchester Super-X sabots perform amazing. With a smooth bore you're limited to about 100 yards but with a rifled slug barrel and a scope you could reach out and touch them at 200 yards.

9. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

Rifled slugs do "not" spin in flight.The "fins" are there so the slug will compress to go through a choked barrel.The bullet/slug stabilises because it has most of the weight in front and a skirt and hollow base that holds the slug straight while going through the atmosphere/air. ,,,Foster Slugs
    A Foster slug, invented by Karl Foster in 1931, is a type of shotgun slug designed to be fired through a smoothbore shotgun barrel. The standard American domestic shotgun slug, they are sometimes referred to as "American slugs" to differentiate them from the standard "European slug" design popularized by Brenneke.
    The defining characteristic of the Foster slug is the deep hollow in the rear, which places the center of mass very near the tip of the slug, much like a shuttlecock or a pellet from an airgun. If the slug begins to tumble in flight, drag will tend to push the slug back into straight flight. This gives the Foster slug stability and allows for accurate shooting through smoothbore barrels out to ranges of about 75 yards (69 m). Most modern Foster slugs also have "rifling", which consists of thin fins on the outside of the slug. Contrary to popular belief, these fins actually impart no spin onto the slug as it travels through the air. The actual purpose of the fins is to minimize the friction on both the barrel and projectile and allow the slug to safely be swaged down when fired through a choke, although accuracy will suffer and choke wear will be progressively accelerated when fired through any choke gauge tighter than open.
    It is also possible to fire Foster slugs through rifled slug barrels, though lead fouling (build-up in the rifle grooves) can be a problem. Accuracy is otherwise not appreciably affected in standard shotgun riflings. ,,,sam.

10. sell33

sell33 G&G Enthusiast

+1

but isn't that three words?? lol

11. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

Hastings is a distributor.The barrels are mfg,d by Verney-Carron,St Etienne,France. ,,,sam.

12. That's how I count.

I have two 870 one as a field,waterfowl gun and one as a dedicated deer gun. I have a cantilever barrel with a 2-7 scope (thought it never leaves 2) and a Monte Carlo style stock, so that my eye is in line with the stock. I have it zeroed for 100 yards and it shoots 3 in groups all day. If I were you and shooting at ranges of 100yards or less get a second barrel with rifle sights (open). If you get a scope you may find that you need to raise your head off the stock which can lead to the stock smacking you in the face during recoil.

13. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

For me,if I have to use a shotgun on deer,a smoothbore is fine with the cheapest Foster type slugs that shoot good (within 4") at 50yds.I see no reason to shoot much past that range.After all I am a hunter and would rather shoot 10yds than 100yds.But if you want a real bell ringer,you cant beat a rifled barrel with cantilever and any scope either 4x or under or a 2.5x7.The scope is on the barrel,not on the receiver,and most barrels move just slightly on shotguns.(especially the 870 and 500) ,,,sam.

14. jerry

jerry Since 03-15- 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    I'm in Sam's club on this one. I use my 12 ga Wingmaster I got for my 16th birthday 28 yrs ago. I found an older Remington (when quality was still up) 2 3/4" chamberd smooth bore barrel. I replaced the sights with Williams fire sights for the lower light dawn/dusk shooting. They are very nice BTW. I shoot foster slugs, typically Winchester Power Point 1700 fps. It shoots other well too. I have taken deer at a little over 100 yards. Typically I'm in the timber & average 50-75 yard opportunities. The cost of the foster slugs allows me to shoot more, shoot mor often. If I wanted to shoot across open bean fields, might be a different story. I'm not suggesting every one do as sam and I, just a proven logical option.

Attached Files:

• 2944.jpg
      2944.jpg
      File size:
      747.4 KB
      Views:
  15. Kaybe

Kaybe G&G Evangelist

Ohio
    Yes, it is easy as buying anther barrel and swapping them out. Move the action half way down, unscrew the magazine cap, take off the old barrel, put on the new one, screw the magazine cap back on, then your are done. Be sure it is unloaded. Be safe. It is that easy. whatever barrel you get, make sure that it is made for the Remington 870.