Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Want to convert BM AR15 6.8mm to 223cal. The cost of ammo for the 6.8 is pricey. When I switch out the upper arm, do I also need to purchase the bolt/carrier and charging handle when I purchase the 223 upper arm? Might be a stupid question, but I'm somewhat of a newbi. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
11,922 Posts
Welcome to G&G.

My suggestion would be to get a complete upper and bolt with carrier for the 5.56x45mm. Make sure you get 5.56x45mm, not just the 223. 223 will work in 5.56, but not all 5.56 will work in all 223 chambers. It's a pesky detail that's not an issue if you get the 5.56 chamber.

Now if you wanted to get really cheap and do a lot of work, I think the only parts that are different are the barrel and bolt (not even bolt carrier.) But if you buy a new upper you can use either round whenever you want just switching them out.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
BRG3 said it...

I'd just buy a complete upper as well so that you don't waste parts. That being said, if you don't have any interest in keeping the 6.8 going, pm me and I might buy the barrel and bolt assembly from you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Guys

Exactly what I needed to know.

I haven't even purchased the 6.8 yet, but I want to have the option of firing both cal. It took me a while to decide on getting the 5.56 with a 6.8 upper or the other way around. It seems to be more cost effective to buy the 6.8 with 5.56 upper.

Now I need to get a scope.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Requires a mag change as well. The 6.8 has a different buffer spring than the 5.56/.223 that may cause reliability problems. I'm almost positive that the bolt carrier is the same. However, If you decide to buy a compleet upper why not spend the extra to get the bolt/carrier as well.

-UR

1 - 5 of 5 Posts