Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all,
I've was recently given a cooey 600, no serial#. I was wondering what people thought of these rifles? Are they good shooters,reliable, "take-down" power(term used lightly)any history on them?
:feedback: any and all info is appreciated.

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
Hey Stinky, I don't know any of the history but I know the one I shot was a great shooter and it worked really well on Tx Jackrabbits.
Welcome to G&G!

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,307 Posts
From what I've read, Cooey is a Canadian company with ties to Savage. Some Cooey models appear very similar to Savage .22 rifles, and have a good reputation. I haven't handled any yet.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thx for the response,
I've got the registration started on the gun dont know how long that'll take. Lookin forward to gettin up to the range to have a go with it.
cheers for the info guys!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everybody. My father bought a COOEY (made by WINCHESTER WESTERN CANADA) model 600 cal .22 S. L. & L.R. bolt action with a tubular magazine under the barrel in fall 1974. It has no serial number stamped on it. COOEY was a canadian firearms manufacturer established in Cobourg, Ontario in business from 1903 to 1961, when it was bought by WINCHESTER to produce and sell firearms in Canada. The only problem it had happened in 1977 when the extractor grip broke and at that time it cost less than 3$ to buy a new one. My father repaired it and it is still fonctionning very well since then. I don't know how much it is worth today but in Eaton's Fall-Winter 1974 catalog the price for a brand new one was 49,95$ CDN. It is a small and very enjoyable little carbine. I hope this informations could help!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've got a Cooey Winchester. It shoots awesome. Straight as an arrow, but the tubular magazine is shyte. I have yet to find a LR bullet that doesn't jam every 4-5th shot. I have had success using just one bullet at a time with most Remington loads. Subsonic works about the best. Great gun for small game. I just put a Weaver #2 side mount scope and rings, and a bushnell 3-9x32 on it. I just about have it sighted in perfect at 50 yards. Those Saskatchewan jackrabbits better watch out!

Does anyone know what these guns are worth? I have heard they have a bit of value to collectors..? Although I'm just curious, mines definitely not for sale! :)

·
Banned
704 Posts
Hi everybody. My father bought a COOEY (made by WINCHESTER WESTERN CANADA) model 600 cal .22 S. L. & L.R. bolt action with a tubular magazine under the barrel in fall 1974. It has no serial number stamped on it. COOEY was a canadian firearms manufacturer established in Cobourg, Ontario in business from 1903 to 1961, when it was bought by WINCHESTER to produce and sell firearms in Canada. The only problem it had happened in 1977 when the extractor grip broke and at that time it cost less than 3$ to buy a new one. My father repaired it and it is still fonctionning very well since then. I don't know how much it is worth today but in Eaton's Fall-Winter 1974 catalog the price for a brand new one was 49,95$ CDN. It is a small and very enjoyable little carbine. I hope this informations could help!
Yes, this history sounds accurate. To my knowledge the Cooey connection was to Winchester and not Savage. Savage bought Lakefield Arms which is located in Lakefield, Ontario. All Savage rimfires are now made there and use the Lakefield design. I don't know if Cooey is still in business, and suspect it is not. There was one kicking around in our family, and it worked well. I took a few gophers with it, but never shot any paper to really see how accurate it was.

·
Registered
1 Posts
information about model 840 winchester western canada

hey all,
I've was recently given a cooey 600, no serial#. I was wondering what people thought of these rifles? Are they good shooters,reliable, "take-down" power(term used lightly)any history on them?
:feedback: any and all info is appreciated.
i have a gun 12 winchester western canada model 840. my father was purchased 1965. please information me about this gun and current price.

thanks.
shahid

·
Registered
1 Posts
Cooey Model 600

I have inheirited this little gem. I have no idea what it is worth, but I do not care, because I will never sell it. It is a sweet working and shooting gun. I sold a couple other .22 rimfires that I had, as this is the only one I use. Glad to hear from the replies that there is no serial #, I thought I was going nuts. Just in the process of getting it registered.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i have a gun 12 winchester western canada model 840. my father was purchased 1965. please information me about this gun and current price.

thanks.
shahid

yes, ummm those guns were made in the early 60's i happen to have two of them... nice little things... they are not much anythings special though, a very plain gun with no special features. they were not worth much new, and now are worth only about the same as a new single shot shotgun... anywhere between 100-150 bucks... depends on the condition.

·
Registered
1 Posts
winchester cooey model 600

I've had my .22 for about 15 years now and it's still working fine. The first five or six years of owning this gun it was used alot. I find it to be the most accurate of all the .22's i've used with open sights. I've taken down a rabbit at about a hundred yards away with open sights. I have never had a problem with it jamming or anything like that. Very reliable and I will never get rid of it.

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,307 Posts
Oops... got my Canuck gun makers mixed up - well, I AM in Florida - we don't see Cooeys down here! If I luck into one, I'll add it to the collection for sure!
So far, all owners I have read like them a lot. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Also inherited

Hey everyone, new to the board and just got back into hunting. I had to buy new rifles and shotguns because the ones i inherited have not been safety checked. I do have a Winchester model 600 .22 SL LR with the canada and Cooey markings. Just wondering if it has any power to take down anything besides varmint. I hunt dear (with a 30.06) and highland birds (12 guage). I'd like my young boys to learn on this weapon, however i do remember firing it about 15 years ago and it jammed when loading. I haven't taken it to a blacksmith yet, will do soon, but after it is "fixed" i was wondering if anyone knew how safe it would be for a 5-6 yr old to fire. It isn't heavy but i don't want it jamming alot and my son getting frustrated. If it's no good i'll go get him another rifle. Thanks for the info.

Oh yea and this rifle is REALLY old. My dad learned to shoot on it in the 50's so its from before then.

·
Registered
4 Posts
my step father just brought out his old winchester cooey model 600. he shoot it when he was about 13 so 30 something years ago and then sat in storage the last 5 years. he has never cleaned the rifle and the trigger gaurd has been broken off. So does anyone know a place to find a trigger gaurd in the Red Deer Alberta area.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i have a cooey that is in excellent connd. but after about 5 or 6 schots it jams and wont eject do u no how to solve the problem

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
what exactly is happening? does the fired case stay stuck to the bolt? is the fired case being grasped by the extractor, or is it still in the chamber? what exactly happens when it jams? i just bought a model 60 cooey and i believe the mechanisms are he same. i may be able to help if you can describe the jam accurately......

·
Registered
1 Posts
jarvis. lookin for .22 ammo

I like to use .22 LR 36 grain winchester hollow point ammo never had problem. As long as ya keep your bolt action fluid. I've only had problems with this rifle when trying to shoot to quick and not comming all the way back then mine jams. Other then that check to see if your extractor on the bolt is bent or broken.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts