Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Global Warming Enthusiast
3,962 Posts
Agreed. Could even be painted. My Henry .22 Mag is such a painted specimen.
I've never looked that close on the barrel finish on my Golden Boy Jerry, are they cerakote? Now you have me wondering, but all my levers are in the back of the safe and a pain to pull out!

Reactions: ChaZam

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
???? A/C [shaking my head]
take out the A/C part for my response to the gun.
just put a stock on the thing, i'll decide whether to cut it off or not.

Reactions: ACfixer

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've never looked that close on the barrel finish on my Golden Boy Jerry, are they cerakote? Now you have me wondering, but all my levers are in the back of the safe and a pain to pull out!
I’m pretty sure golden boy is brass or alloy. I have the field version of the .22 mag which is a painted receiver.

Sent from my iPhone using Gun and Game mobile app

·
3,962 Posts
I’m pretty sure golden boy is brass or alloy. I have the field version of the .22 mag which is a painted receiver.
Yeah the receiver on the Golden Boy is what they call "brasslight", but I was wondering about the rest of the parts. Is the paint on the standard cerakote? That's not a bad thing IMO, some of the paints/coatings they have now will stand up to the elements a lot better than bluing.

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah the receiver on the Golden Boy is what they call "brasslight", but I was wondering about the rest of the parts. Is the paint on the standard cerakote? That's not a bad thing IMO, some of the paints/coatings they have now will stand up to the elements a lot better than bluing.
Hard to tell what coating technology is on there could be cere, enamel, PU or even powder coat? I don’t think they advertise it. My guess is it’s cost associated. I’m okay with it for what it is. Your right, carrying it at the receiver with a sweaty hand may be a bit hard on it.

·
Premium Member
24,593 Posts
Jerry let me hi-jack your thread a wee bit more...
According to the specs on the Henry website this new 410 has a blued steel receiver and barrel. Henry says the same thing about my 41 Magnum steel Big Boy. A magnet indeed sticks to the receiver on the Big Boy, but the finish on the receiver looks more like some dull matte coating process other than bluing. The 410 in the video in post #1 appears to have that same dull coating. The barrel on my Big Boy is blued but the steel is a fairly coarse machine finish unlike the barrel on my Henry 22 that had a pretty decent polish before bluing. Here's a pic of the 41 Mag
IMGP1485 (2).JPG

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Jerry let me hi-jack your thread a wee bit more...
According to the specs on the Henry website this new 410 has a bled steel receiver and barrel. Henry says the same thing about my 41 Magnum steel Big Boy. A magnet indeed sticks to the receiver on the Big Boy, but the finish on the receiver looks more like some dull matte coating process other than bluing. The 410 in the video in post #1 appears to have that same dull coating. The barrel on my Big Boy is blued but the steel is a fairly coarse machine finish unlike the barrel on my Henry 22 that had a pretty decent polish before bluing. Here's a pic of the 41 Mag View attachment 135472
Quite a mix of various configurations

·
Premium Member
24,593 Posts
Quite a mix of various configurations

What would your professional guess be regarding what the finish on the 41 Mag. BB receiver really is? And it will scratch; I rubbed it against another gun getting it out of the safe. Or could it actually be a matte bluing of some kind?

·
Registered
10,589 Posts
Be a right nice little piece to carry in a scabbard over the shoulder.

Reactions: jerry

·
3,962 Posts
Or could it actually be a matte bluing of some kind?
Continuing the hijack here.... :p I have a newer Rem 700 CDL that they call "blued" Rex and it is indeed a matte "blue" which let's face it looks black. I guess they use liberties in the description or perhaps refer to it as bluing to appease us older folks used to that terminology. :D I know this, it's difficult to find any optics these days with a gloss finish to match traditional bluing.

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
it could be Parkerized too which is a short cut type of bluing.
ceracoat and powder coat are a sprayed and cooked type coating.
I doubt they are using powder coat even though it would actually work pretty well, the cure temp is 400-F.'
ceracoat is only like 300-F cure temp.

Reactions: ChaZam

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
What would your professional guess be regarding what the finish on the 41 Mag. BB receiver really is? And it will scratch; I rubbed it against another gun getting it out of the safe. Or could it actually be a matte bluing of some kind?
I’d have to see one in person to take an educated guess.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts