Gun and Game Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,529 Posts
That Henry pistol reminds me of Steve McQueen in "Wanted, Dead or Alive". He had an old Winchester (I think a 44-40) that was cut down and he holstered it like a sidearm. The funny part was that he carried 45-70 rounds in his belt. I heard the director of the show thought they looked better than the 44's.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
A friend of mine had me get him the 'Mares Leg' from Henry in 22 LR. I ask him what he wanted it for and he said his 4 year old grandson!!! I never thought of that, but it would ideal for teaching the young how to shoot with a gun that actually 'fit' them.:)

Reactions: jerry

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
That Henry pistol reminds me of Steve McQueen in "Wanted, Dead or Alive". He had an old Winchester (I think a 44-40) that was cut down and he holstered it like a sidearm. The funny part was that he carried 45-70 rounds in his belt. I heard the director of the show thought they looked better than the 44's.
Correct you are, a MARES LEG!!!;)

·
Firearm Affectionado
4,219 Posts
Correct you are, a MARES LEG!!!;)
The Mare's Leg weapon carried by Josh Randall (Steve McQueen) is a cut down Winchester model 1892 carbine in 44-40 caliber, but the bullets in his cartridge belt are 45-70 caliber rounds used in the larger, more powerful rifles of the day.

·
Registered
20,081 Posts
When, exactly, did everyone doing videos on YouTube decide that the thumb should be on top of the barrel?

I didn't notice this until a few weeks ago and now I see it everywhere, in every type of gun video, and it drives me insane.

I see it on videos of three gun matches, I see it from these tacti-cool dudes showing off new gear, Coloin Noir does it whenever he has a rifle in hand, and I am beginning to see it with the old-school guys.

What advantage is there to this? You can't see your sights, you either have to awkwardly bend your wrist or straighten your elbow to make it work, you are touching the barrel of your weapon in many cases - a massive no-no, and some of these igmos are going to hurt themselves by wrapping their fat little piggies over gas tubes or hot barrels.

The only reason I can think of for doing this is that you have been dropped into Midway with an M2 carbine and you are just prayin' and sprayin' from the hip with the knowledge that the full length stock would protect your hand for a bit.

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
jerry does it so we all do it.

"Gloss and smoothness are appearance properties that can be affected by a lower curing temperature".

this is where the lower temp and short soak times get a [home] coater into trouble.

they don't seem to realize that a powder not only needs to cure,,, but that there is a lower flow temperature that needs to be met and held so that the powder can 'wet' which allows the color and gloss pigments to flow and mix properly so that a cross link can be achieved before the actual cure is done.

·
Registered
20,081 Posts
The Mare's Leg weapon carried by Josh Randall (Steve McQueen) is a cut down Winchester model 1892 carbine in 44-40 caliber, but the bullets in his cartridge belt are 45-70 caliber rounds used in the larger, more powerful rifles of the day.
Those movie cowboy's belts always held lies. Half the time the guys were carrying some type of 32 (S&W, H&R, Colt or 32-20), or 38 LC, and their belts would be full of .45 LCs or rifle bullets.

A lot of the Spaghetti Westerns and straight-to-TV/DVD/Video/Streaming westerns feature guys toting BP revolvers with cartridges in the loops.

·
Premium Member
24,593 Posts
But back to the Henry Axe that this thread is about:
I was wondering what the street price might actually be on it since it has a MSRP of $970.00. So I went to Gunbroker, went to the Advanced Tab > and then Completed Items and put "Henry Axe" in the search box. Lots of them selling slightly over or slightly under $700. A few have sold in the upper $700.00 range near $800 in fact. But then I saw others that sold for $645.00, $640.00, $625.00 and as low as $610.00. My guess is that many of our local dealers will also be very competitive on the pricing for this little firearm.
https://www.gunbroker.com/All/searc...nry Axe&PageSize=96&Sort=1&View=1&Timeframe=1

·
Resident Curmudgeon
34,392 Posts
It looks like Henry is making another variation of the Mares Laig.

When Wanted Dead or Alive did it, they did not check with the ATF first; they just went ahead and cut down three Model 1892 rifles in .44-40. The yankee gummint was not amused. The production company ultimately wound up paying about three times what the pieces were worth in fines, but ATF let them keep the guns. I'm not sure, but I think the agents assigned to the case may have been fans.

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
jerry does it so we all do it.

"Gloss and smoothness are appearance properties that can be affected by a lower curing temperature".

this is where the lower temp and short soak times get a [home] coater into trouble.

they don't seem to realize that a powder not only needs to cure,,, but that there is a lower flow temperature that needs to be met and held so that the powder can 'wet' which allows the color and gloss pigments to flow and mix properly so that a cross link can be achieved before the actual cure is done.
I’m no “C” clamper

Yep, have to strictly adhere to the TDS for coating performance. Especially powder coat.
The more interesting one I work with is a dust on dust. Primer goes on dry with a subsequent dry top coat. Cuts out the gel or full cure process for the primer saving a lot of production time and energy cost. As a side note to the video. SW purchased Valspar in an acquisition.

Sent from my iPhone using Gun and Game mobile app

·
Premium Member
24,593 Posts
As a side note to the video. SW purchased Valspar in an acquisition.
I wasn't aware of that acquisition or merger for some reason. Perhaps I need to keep up with the news and pay attention. HAHA Back when I was gainfully employed and/or owned my own truck with Montgomery Tank Lines which later became Quality Carriers with their acquisition of Chemical Leaman Tank Lines and Matlack Tank Lines, I frequently picked up or delivered in both of their plants. At that time when I went into their plants they rarely had anything nice to say about the other company. Lots of mergers, buyouts, and hostile takeovers in the petro chemical industry over the years though. Hey, guys like me still remember iconic brands like Union Carbide. I remember ICI before it was owned by AkzoNobel.

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I wasn't aware of that acquisition or merger for some reason. Perhaps I need to keep up with the news and pay attention. HAHA Back when I was gainfully employed and/or owned my own truck with Montgomery Tank Lines which later became Quality Carriers with their acquisition of Chemical Leaman Tank Lines and Matlack Tank Lines, I frequently picked up or delivered in both of their plants. At that time when I went into their plants they rarely had anything nice to say about the other company. Lots of mergers, buyouts, and hostile takeovers in the petro chemical industry over the years though. Hey, guys like me still remember iconic brands like Union Carbide. I remember ICI before it was owned by AkzoNobel.
Yep, getting whittled down to a handful of large companies.

Sent from my iPhone using Gun and Game mobile app

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
make a decent grouse gun for those roadside shots off the 4 wheeler too.

I knew someone got Valspar I just didn't know who it was.
they basically just kept the name on the paint cans, noticed it last time I bought some.

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
ahh dang it Jerry I meant miculek I wasn't even thinking about you being in this thread..
LOL

21 - 37 of 37 Posts