close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Coon Dogs:

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by hooker, Apr 9, 2002.

1. My Dad was a coonhunting fanatic. Some of my fondest memories are about going hunting with him. He hunted 7 nights a week, weather permitting. Had some outstanding dogs in his life. the last ones he owned were a Redbone- Mountain Trig mix, and a Bluetick- Black and Tan. when them dogs treed, the coon was either in it, or on it! He surely loved the hunt.

2. coondogs

I've hunted them all except for walkers. I love the long ears and deep mouths of the other breeds. I haven't hunted coons in ten years, but, I guess it's time I started again. I'm 36 years old.

3. Good luck to you panhandler. I would like to, but I ain't got the time or the money, nor the energy to do that anymore. Theres a few fellows that hunt around here. I still get to hear some races, and sometimes they tree one close enough for me to hear. Thats some good music.

4. Hooker, don't you just want to keep an old hound around, even if you don't hunt it? I've tried hound puppies as pets, and it doesn't work where I live. I've got a part basset hound as a pet, but he definately isn't the same as a black and tan, redbone, or bluetick. Maybe you can find an old worthless hound just to have around. I wish I could! Good luck Hooker!

5. panhandler, I had one till year before last. She was a Bluetick- Treeing Walker. She died at the age of 12. She was the tiredest dog I've ever seen. Nothing worried her, she would sigh whenever she got up to lay down again, just like it wore her out. I"ve got 2 pups 7 months old now, they are Siberian Husky- Wolf- Gernan Shepherd- Chow. They already weigh about 60 lbs. Good about gaurding the place, which is my main concern now.