Coons killed my deer feeder!

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by tappedandtagged, Aug 24, 2010.

1. Three weeks ago I restocked my deer feeder and changed the battery out. I left it for two weeks and then decided to go put my game camera on it to see what was coming out. Well, to my surprise, when I got to it, there was no corn in it whatsoever!!! Just two weeks ago I had put 150 lbs of corn in it and set it to dispense corn once a day for two seconds! That' when I found that raccoons had eaten a hole clean through the PVC barrel.
    [​IMG]

Today, I was fortunate enough to come across a agricultural place that had recently decided to quit selling round up in 30 gallon barrels (they were refilling from a tank). The problem is... the new barrel is larger than my old barrel. Now I have to figure out a way to cut the top out so I can fill it with corn and find a way to attach a new lid so that rain water can't get in. Anyone have any suggestions?

Edit: the band that went around my old feeder is also smaller in diameter than my new barrel. I'm thinking about just widening the circumference of the bands and adding some threaded bar to make up the difference??

2. Rex_Lee

Rex_Lee G&G Regular

Use a 50 gallon drum. Thats what we use for our feeders down here. I have had the same feeder on my place for 10 years and it is still going strong.