close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Correct Bipod Use

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by wunhunglo, Jan 22, 2010.

1. wunhunglo

wunhunglo G&G Newbie

HI Folks,
    Most of my Rifle shooting is done Prone, Target rifle style with no support (other than Sling) & no scopes.

Last week I was using a rifle fitted with a bipod and my best shooting buddy has a different opinion of the correct way to use it. (My opinion is always correct!)

So, in y'all-y'all's humble opinions, what is the correct way to shoot using a bipod?

a) With forward pressure on the Bipod?
    b) With rearward pressure on the Bipod?
    c) Neither, with the stock just lightly supported on the Bipod?

2. AstroVic

AstroVic G&G Newbie

I'm thinking whichever way works best for you to hit your target is the correct way to use it.

Does it really matter? So long as your putting the bullet where you want it to go, who cares?

3. rwt101

rwt101 G&G Newbie

C
    Bob T

4. Whootsinator

Whootsinator G&G Newbie

I shoot with option C.

5. Johnnycat

Johnnycat G&G Addict

A - this is called "loading the bipod". It helps you line-up in correct position and leads to consistent shooting. It also allows you to stay on target after your shot for follow-up. It can also help reduce felt recoil.

Phoenix Tactical Pod Claws really help in this regard - they dig into the ground and really allow you to put some pressure on those bipod legs.

6. texnmidwest

texnmidwest Sir Loin of Beef Forum Contributor

I think of my bipod as a portable front fore arm rest. I use it just like I do the front "bag" of my bench rest set up. So, I let the bipod support the front of the rifle but I do not consciously put pressure one way or the other on the bipod.

7. billy

billy G&G Evangelist

8. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

If you hold pressure either way when using a bypod or rest,(such as holding down on barrel when using a rest),it will make the rifle have a different poi when firing freehand. ,,,sam.

9. toolman

toolman Resident Sasquatch Forum Contributor

IMO, it makes no difference as long as it works and you are consistant in it's usage.

10. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Evangelist

Right or Not I shoot mine using "C" and get the best results...No pressure on the bipod except for vertical weight...SOme Bipods will fold up the legs otherwise..I had to turn My Harris Bipod so the legs wouldnt fold up under recoil.

11. wunhunglo

wunhunglo G&G Newbie

Now I've got a few opinions, I'll let you know how I use it.
    I tend to use option (a) which I've found works for me.

12. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Evangelist

I can't put forward pressure on mine or the legs fold up...

13. Ninja Piper

Ninja Piper G&G Evangelist

I have mine so the legs fold forward. I haven't had any issues with them folding up under recoil. I have tried option a and c, and found that c works best for me. If having one bipod leg fold forward, the other backward and 6 inches shorter works for you, then by all means do it that way!

14. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

Don't take my word for it,try firing un-restricted and restricted and see the difference.If you sight in while restricting the motion of the firearm by holding the bipod and then fire with no restriction the shot will be way high.It makes a big difference if you might use both styles of shooting. ,,,sam.

15. madcratebuilder

madcratebuilder G&G Newbie

I use C, but use what works for you.

16. Johnnycat

Johnnycat G&G Addict

I'm not sure sure how the backward pressure would work since I've never tried it.

Using C and not putting any pressure on it at all turns the bipod into a front rest, like a bench rest. There's nothing wrong with that for general shooting and sighting-in, etc, but the recoil takes you and your sight picture off the target for several seconds until you get back on.

Using forward pressure (A) you minimize this effect of recoil on your sight picture. Using this method you can watch your bullet impact at longer distances and you're also on-target for follow-up shots. It does take a lot of practice so that you're consistent - otherwise you'll possibly have a different cheek weld, etc. The best practice is dry-firing to get comfortable getting used to the mechanics. After a lot of practice it will improve your shooting. Those Pod Claws do help a good bit with this method.

Phoenix Tactical - Pod Claws

17. BloodRedStratus

BloodRedStratus G&G Newbie

18. chesterwin

chesterwin Moderator Staff Member

I use method "c". My Harris bipod is setup so the legs fold forward under the barrel when not in use.

19. jrswanson1

jrswanson1 G&G Newbie

I used "b" to good effect. Pull the stock into your shoulder after the bipod is down. But I have a "tactical" bipod that has legs that fold forward or back but the legs have to be squeezed together to make that happen. While doing it this way, I was able to get very good groups at 200 yards.

Jim

20. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

Depends if your shooting full auto or not !! If you are, then B. If'n you ain't, then C.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted