close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Corrections, clarifications on eye for an eye

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by BenP, Aug 21, 2002.

1. BenP

BenP G&G Newbie

#1: Jesus never went to Rome. Once when Jesus was in Jerusalem he went to the temple and found merchants within the sacred areas peddling when they shouldn't be, and he got angry at the insolence and greed.

#2: Check out this link for a very good explanation on the topic from Matthew 5:38,39. This does a very good job of interpreting the meaning behind eye for an eye vs. turn the other cheek.

http://www.gac.20m.com/self-def.htm

For your benefit Lenny. Knowledge is power.

2. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Papa G chapter 1, verse one-look out for yourself, and yours.

3. oneastrix

oneastrix G&G Newbie

Oh Lord, and to think my post started this all. It's quite flattering actually! lol

Look out boys, Alan will be online shortly!

4. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

Here we go again,:rolleyes:

5. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

I'm changing churches now!!!!:D

6. I'm going to pass--You all have at it.

7. MarkII 22

MarkII 22 G&G Newbie

Why did you not have that up there before I had to make a fool out of myself with that mess I posted on the other thread?:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Last edited: Aug 23, 2002
  8. Who are you refering to? You made one post on a two page thread--how bad can it be?

Last edited: Aug 21, 2002
  9. You mean to tell me if someone kicks me in the butt I'm suppose to let him kick the other side. I think not! NOPE.

Or, maybe, we'e not talking that kinda cheek, lol.

10. wes

wes G&G Newbie

An eye for an eye,and a boot for your snoot.

11. Lenny2

Lenny2 Guest

Ben,
    If the bible had one interpretation, there would be only one christian church. If you would like your interpretations spoon fed to you, have at it.
    That site you referenced (which I like a whole lot) has one purpose - to promote 2nd ammendment rights. I wouldn't say they are a great source to reference for biblical history.

12. oneastrix

oneastrix G&G Newbie

Look out, Lenny's in da house!

13. Ben P.-- Crocker made the same points that I was trying to make in my earlier posts on this thread.

14. NRAJOE

For someone that was going to pass and let everyone have at it your sure on here alot alan!:confused: :rolleyes: :D

15. Eric

Eric G&G Newbie

USA
    I think it's an awesome article. I don't believe God just wants 'bad people' running around, after they have killed all the 'good people' that refused to defend themselves and their families.

16. BenP

BenP G&G Newbie

All,

Ultimately, it is up to each of us to determine for ourselves what is right. The article represents mainline christian philosophy on the subject, and I find it acceptable because the explanation makes sense. It has enough reference points that the argument is well supported. I have not seen any other interpretation of this scripture which is fundamentally different from this one. Ergo, lacking significant contradiction, this article represents a sound doctrine of christian belief on the subject of when to turn the other cheek, and when to put foot to a55.

Even if you don't accept Christianity, the principles represented in this interpretation are a good standard for a person to live by. Only anarchists would support revenge and intolerance, and then not for long. Whether you're a believer or not, we have to find a way to live together for the most part, and deal with the exceptions in a manner tolerable by the whole.

I've packed a firearm for 20 years now, and I've never had to draw down on anyone. There've been plenty of opportunities for me to do so, but I've always found a way to avoid it and still preserve my safety and possessions. If no other choice, then I would not hesitate, and I feel pretty confident that I would be quite effective at defending myself. It's been my experience that temperance and reasoning are signs of wisdom. Pulling that trigger, just like throwing that punch, will most likely be a life altering event for all concerned in this day and age, even discounting litigation issues (re: Hatfield and McCoy). I would prefer to avoid those situations rather than confront them.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2002
  17. NRAJOE

Your a good man Ben and I'd back you up on anything you say. We've talked before on this subject and you know I believe in God almighty. I refuse to get in a peeing contest over my beliefs and its not worth getting mad about on a computer. Somepeople refuse to believe and you cannot change them. We will all find out on judgement day.God bless you all and all of yours.

18. Lenny2

Lenny2 Guest

Well put, BenP. But I have the firm belief that people believe what they want to believe. Thats why it is called faith. If there were proof, there would be no need for interpretation.

Tell me if this is an eye for an eye: A person comes up with a cure for a terrible disease, has many children that go on to become great people who accomplich great deeds, contributes many positive things to their community, helps their neighbors, helps strangers, does not harbor hate or ill feelings, sins on the very bottom of the scale, and generally makes the world a better place. This person does great things for 60 years and then dies. Then they burn in hell for all eternity for not accepting Christ. Is this justice?

19. BenP

BenP G&G Newbie

Old testament (re: Jewish Law)

All have sinned and fall short of the Glory of God. Those who have not received the word of God will be judged on their actions and their hearts. If they are fundamentally good people, I believe they will go to heaven.

Now for the Jews, when's the last time you put a dead animal on the alter? Do jews still practice this means of commuting their sin? How's your heart? What will God see when you stand before him? What will you say when you stand before the creator and he asks you about your sins?

For me, God will see Jesus walking beside me to the place of judgement as my advocate. He will hear me say that He promised if I accepted his son as my saviour I would be forgiven. This is my belief.

If I am wrong, then I have at least endeavored to live a good life based on a doctrine of love and compassion and aid to my fellow man, and humility to God. If God will judge me on my actions and my heart rather than a false promise made by a madman 2,000 years ago, then I would expect the outcome to be the same as for you or any other person who values these qualities. I try to obey His laws. But I, like all those before me, fail sometimes. I am penitent and regretful, and I find the Gospel to be at least as acceptable a redemption as was the old testament method of sacrificing animals.

However, that doesn't change my position about living a life based on the standards Jesus gave, even if He is not the Son of God, his words are wise and the application of His teachings are beneficial for both the individual and society. I could say the same thing for many other world religions, so perhaps humanity is inspired through a belief in a benevolent creator to pursue peaceful, mutually beneficial rules of life and death. I think you'll find many commonalities amongst the world religions along these lines. In fact, there is an organization that has standardized these ideals across religious lines quite successfully. If you put aside our differences, you see that our goals and struggles are really quite the same. I wonder why that is?