Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reloading a batch of .38 specials the other day. I was in a hurry and almost skipped checking the powder charges before seating bullets, but I guess the angel on my right shoulder made the devil on my left scoot:scool:, so I put on my strong glasses and looked at the block of cases under my bench lamp.

Sure enough, third case from the left, second row, there was a double charged round. I still can't figure out how I did it. I use two blocks, one with empty cases pointed head up, the other, charged, head down...but I sure did it. It really doesn't matter how I did it. What matters is that I made a final check and that from now on I will NEVER seat a bullet...NEVER...without doing a final check of the charges.

·
Registered
36,568 Posts
Best reloading tool is still the old Mark I eyeball.

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
I think when I start reloading that I'll be checking every fully-loaded cartridge with a weight check. Just toss it on the electronic scale and make sure it is within tolerances. If it's off by an amount that might be a double charge, it'll get the bullet pulled and checked.

Definitely a +1 on the good ol' Ver. 1.0 Eyeball.

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
Good job, Doc! Just goes to show, the best reloading tool is between your ears.

·
Premium Member
30,730 Posts
i havent had that happen....yet!

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
everbody make mistakes. not everybody catches them and corrects them. there is a good lesson to be learned about double checking what your doing when rolling you own. the result is that DRBOOMBOOM is still in one piece.

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,987 Posts
Good catch! I once had the opposite problem - loaded one with NO powder! Primer popped, and the bullet stuck in the barrel.

DOH!! :09:

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Good catch! I once had the opposite problem - loaded one with NO powder! Primer popped, and the bullet stuck in the barrel.
DOH!! :09:
my friend did that a long time ago. new to the sport and new to handloading. he didn't understand what had happened and was gonna pull the trigger again after having a primer pop. the guy next in line to him seen what had happened and stopped him in time. so they cleared the barrel and continued on with my buddy learning a valuable lesson without the damage that could have occured. lucky break on his part.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've done most every stupid thing possible. A double charge in my 38 with semi wad cutters, resulted in larger than normal recoil. But no ill effects to the weapon. They were mild loads to begin with. The stuck bullet in the barrell was a real pain as it resulted in a screw driver going through my hand...... don't ask .... But I did get the bullet out, eventually, was real messy though.:34:

Denonated a primer in the primer tube, shot the primer follower up into the ceiling, very loud, and very scary, I wear eye protection when reloading and take my time. (I don't remember how it happened)

schu

1 - 14 of 14 Posts