close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

counterbore

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by buttons, May 22, 2002.

1. buttons

buttons G&G Newbie

I want to try counterboring my VZ 24. What is the recomended depth of the counterbore? In addition, what size bit should I use? I have a lathe at work that I can use to do the job. This rifle is so bad I figured it is worth a try. If it does not work I will be picking up a used barrel from Empire Arms. Thank you.

2. The purpose of a counterbore on the muzzle is to protect it from dings, so it needs to be deep enough for that, but not too deep to affect the gases that follow the bullet as it exits the barrel. typically, counterboring is a technique used on heavy target barrels and not those in military config. Do us all a favor and perform some before and after accuracy tests. I'd like to see how counterboring will affect a military barrel.

Good luck!

3. elbStJoeMO

elbStJoeMO G&G Newbie

I've seen several MAS 36 French military rifles and they were all originally counter bored when made, and shoot very tight groups.

4. Talking with Buttons, the ZV24 muzzle looked like a right handed soldier cleaned and cleaned and cleaned the barrel from the muzzle end. The muzzle was oblong.
    DM how'ed it turn out ??? Empire huh?