Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, I off'd my 30-06's and I'm back to shooting my kinder, gentler .223's, .222 and .243's. My 30-06 Interarms Mannlicher Carbine went to an especially good home, a nice 70 year-old, deer-hunting widow with a 3-legged dog from MI who has been pining for the twin of the one she sold years back and was soooo excited to get mine (in mint condition). It really felt good to see them all go to hunters. I had a little separation anxiety only over the NIB Euro-spec Parker Hale that I had fired a couple rounds through and found the recoil was just too jarring for my use. So, what's a guy to do? He stumbles across the identical rifle (brand-new unfired) in 6.5 x 55 Swedish. Odd cartridge, but should be sweet in a light rifle with (I'm told) a very light recoil. Browsing for some ammo, I ran across another 6.5 x 55, a beautiful Interarms Mauser that was pawned out in Iowa and rang all the good bells. Pics to follow when they arrive. 2 pretty sweet rifles.

Parker Hale Lightweight

Interarms 1085 Mauser w. 6.5-20 Vortex Scope (Be still my beating heart!)

·
The outer edge of civilization
16,537 Posts
Thanks. That 70 y/o gal (5'-3" & 110 lbs) made me feel like a wimp. She asked why I was selling and I told her the .30-06 was too much rifle for my use. She laughed and said the recoil never bothered her.
Good for her! She may be one of my heroes.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Yep both look awesome. Been wondering what you would acquire next. Anxious to see your new rifles. I know my Rem. 700 would get more range time if in .243 but never thought of trading as the bluing and walnut are to nice to part with. Under $350 back in 1984 new. Hard to pass up these beauties like you have shown here with fancy figured walnut and great bluing.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yep both look awesome. Been wondering what you would acquire next. Anxious to see your new rifles. I know my Rem. 700 would get more range time if in .243 but never thought of trading as the bluing and walnut are to nice to part with. Under $350 back in 1984 new. Hard to pass up these beauties like you have shown here with fancy figured walnut and great bluing.
Yeah, I've done some crazy swap-outs for that reason. Bought a 30-06 with a beautiful mannlicher stock and searched out the same rifle in .243 that had the same perfect metal but a ho-hum stock. I swapped stocks and put the .243 in my original stock. I did the same with a Winchester Model 100 in .308. Found a .243 with a plain jane stock and did a stock swap keeping the .243 barreled action and my nicer stock.

Fortunately, guns seem sell pretty easily without taking a loss.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts