Cowboy Breakfast

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Very Texas, May 25, 2008.

1. Very Texas

Very Texas G&G Newbie

Texas
    Cowboy Breakfast Casserole

1 dozen eggs
    1 pound of bacon
    1 pound of Jimmy Dean Hot Sausage
    can of biscuits
    1/2 lb. shredded cheddar cheese
    Jar of Picante Sauce

This is a family tradition at our ranch house and a really simple casserole. I usually fry the bacon and or sausage the night before (drain grease) and place in icebox til morning. First open biscuits and roll each biscuit out flat-if you don't have a rolling pin use a glass or anything that will roll. Next line a 8 X 8 greased casserole dish with the biscuits to cover the bottom and sides-overlapping them in places. In skillet scramble dozen eggs to a soft scramble then place the scramble eggs on top of the biscuits in casserole dish. Layer the Sausage on top of the eggs-next add bacon slices on top of that. Bake until the biscuits are done on the bottom. Once the casserole is done put shredded cheese on top. Top with with Picante Sauce and serve hot. This will feed about 8-10 people. Perfect for lazy weekends!

Last edited: May 25, 2008
  2. Can I . . .

stop by for breakfast?

Just kidding - great post.

3. Sounds like it would be real good. I would add homefries though.

4. toolman

toolman Resident Sasquatch Forum Contributor

Gotta love breakfast in Tx.! FWIW, I like wild pork sausage and Herdez brand hot salsa.

5. TexasT

TexasT Devil's Advocate >:) Forum Contributor Forum Contributor

Yep. Sounds like a Texas meal. I like mine in a burritos with potatoes too. Mmmmm.

6. Sounds good to me ! As long as I have a Previsid acid pill I can eat it !!!...A.H

7. neophyte

neophyte Wonderment :) Forum Contributor

Breakfeast

Very Texas: Ma'am; they were kidding about stopping by for 'breakfeast':09:
    I aint:) Might just doo some dishes afterwards. :09: Don't do windows though.

8. LiveToShoot

LiveToShoot Suspended

On a scaled down basis, that's the breakfast my wife and I enjoy every now and again.

We used to enjoy it regularly, but my wife is trying to clean up my diet, reduce eating heavy cholesterol causing foods, and help keep me around for awhile longer.

Nice of her to do so, but I miss some of the dishes like this one...

9. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

Sounds yummy! Gonna make it tomorrow!

10. Texan

Texan G&G Newbie

Sounds like something that our family has been having for years...yep, good ole Texas breakfast. BUT we do have one variation to your recipe...there is NO mention of a can in our version. Mom (84) makes and has for years, homemade buttermilk biscuits for her version. We first started cooking something like this while working cattle, over a branding iron fire, in a Dutch Oven. Toss in a couple freshly cut calf fries...Hum-m-m-m-m-m!!!! Go-o-o-o-o-o-d!!!

AND Very Texas, I love it when somebody makes mention of an "icebox"....OMG!!! I get ribbing over that word but use it all the time!!!!

o~\o

Last edited: May 26, 2008
  11. around here it would be
    Bacon fried crisp
    sausage small links or patties
    Grits with cheese or butter
    eggs usually scrambled
    big plate of biscuits
    homemade cane syrup
    and a big ole pot of coffee
    now if I want to go southwest I cook up what you did add home fries and refried beans. Yes I eat refried beans for breakfast.

Last edited: May 26, 2008
  12. TexasT

TexasT Devil's Advocate >:) Forum Contributor Forum Contributor

There's this donut place near my apartment that makes breakfast burritos and they put refried beans in them. Pretty darn good.