Gun and Game Forum banner

Coyote Calls

3K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  roverboy 
#1 ·
Hello all,

Im wanting to start some "real" coyote hunting. I cant afford electronic calls so I was looking for suggestions on some mouth calls?

Thanks in advance.

Scott

#2 ·
Any and all of them. I like Primo's calls, and Johny Stewarts. I have lots of each. Always go for diversity. It's a good idea to make sure you can make sounds of "lunch" animals in your area, but I also try to make sure I have some others as well.

When you get hooked you'll also want to start getting wood handmade calls. They're just cool.

My go to call is a JS PC-3. I can make a wide variety of sounds with it.

#4 ·
Pffftttt...borrow your best friend's baby, sit the little eat & poop about 20 feet from you in a car seat and wait for it to start crying.

There is NO better coyote call ;)

#6 ·
I have used Primos, Johnny stewart, and Lonhnam calls. They have all worked for me. believe it or not I have also tried the crying baby (not the actual baby in a car seat like Big Shrek suggested). My friend recorded his baby crying and we played it back on a homemade predator call and it actually worked. We had several coyote come running in to see what was going on.
There is some free instructions on how to build your own electronic predator call on Varmint Al's website. He even has mp3 files you can download and use for the calls if you have an mp3 player.

#7 ·
There is some free instructions on how to build your own electronic predator call on Varmint Al's website. He even has mp3 files you can download and use for the calls if you have an mp3 player.
I built one a year or so ago and it works great. Haven't had a chance to try the baby crying yet. I can't find an .mp3 that I like the sound of yet, and my kids are a little too old. I don't think coyotes will come to "Mom, she hit me." :D

#8 ·
I plan on doing the same thing and I have asked around and received these answers.
Doug Thompson mouth calls and Carver calls as well. I have ordered my Thompson calls and Carvers are next. Big thing everyone has said to me is ,PRACTICE and more PRACTICE, outside!
Best of luck.
bman940
nikon Pro Staff

#10 ·
I've never used the Hotdog call. Primos, Johnny Stewart, Burnham Bros. Knight & Hale, and I'm sure theres others. I've used these though. A good howler call is helpful too as a locater.

#11 ·
I've got a hot dog. It's not too bad. Takes a LOT of practice to use well though. I don't know how much a coyote cares, but I don't like the tone of it a lot. Called in a couple with it, but nothing to write home about. I haven't tried it, but have heard the little dog is a lot easier to use.

#14 ·
The electronic calls are nice, but most that I've seen are not all that loud. I like the manual calls so you can call loud if you want to and quieten it down too. Plus some of the electronic calls are bulky. Its whatever you want I guess.

#15 ·
even with an E caller, you need backup calls, as batteries will die on you in the field. for mouth calls, i like the catnip, and a johnny stewart (i dont remember if its the pc 1 or 2). ive got the foxpro spitfire with an add on speaker also, and coyotes have howled back at it from over a mile away. my only bitch about the spitfire is the remote is only good for about 50yds.

#16 ·
I have built several E-Callers over the years. If a Cana Kit 20 Watt 12 VDC Amp is used with a Speco SPC-5 Speaker these callers have more than enough volume.

My current one uses a Cana Kit 20 Watt 12VDC Amp with a Speco SPC-5 Speaker. It is powered by a 12 VDC Sealed Lead Acid Batery. For the sound source I am using a RIO600 MP3 Player.

I have like 21 or 22 tracks on the RIO and it should cover anything I want to call.

For me personally the downfall of me using an Electronic Caller is I feel I call to loud and too much at times. I seem to have the best results with Crit'R'Calls. I use both the PeeWee and the Song Dog. However if first starting out Open Reed Calls can be a bit ticky to learn on. One of my favorite Closed Reed Calls is the Sceery AP3 Jackrabbit call. The only downfall I have found with this one is it freezes up easily in really cold temps (this is generally not a problem with Open Reed Calls).

Lastly when choosing a Mouth Call remember that not everyone blows a mouth call the same. What may be easy to blow for me and for me to get the sounds I want may be all but impossible for others.

In regards to the Primos Hot Dog mentioned, I can not blow that call for the life of me. I have tried, tried and tried some more and finally gave up.

Larry

#18 ·
randy andersons videos are great, but me personally, the ki-yi is the hardest call i have to get good sound out of (might be just me), and would wait till your a little more experienced before trying a howler. i'd start with a simple distress call and work on it till you can really make it scream. a cat-nip, tally ho, tweety are good easy to use distress calls. when you want to try howling, i personally prefer a diaphram call.

#19 ·
Something else to think about. Decoys, something that moves either battery powered or manual. A neat trick is take a piece of rabbit fur or a few feathers and tie them to a bush and to them tie a piece of fishing line and twich it when a coyote starts coming in. Gives'em something to look at besides you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.