Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 190 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have tried to use the round for several didnt hunting situations...... NO LUCK!! I dont think very highly of the round but im glad your having some luck. Its hard to shoot that light of a bullet with any wind at all. I think its fun for plinking but ammo is a little high. Is yours the rimfire of centerfire?

·
Registered
13 Posts
17 Hmr

I've shot one coyote with the HMR, just inside 100 yards, and don't recommend it. The little Gamepoint passed through both lungs and kept going--so did the 'yote, for some 80-100 yards into thick brush. If it had been a night hunt I doubt I'd have recovered him.

This coyote/17HMR debate will go on much like the 223/deer discussions, I'll bet.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I own a .17 HMR, and would not recomend one for hunting coyote. If you head shoot one, it will kill it, but the little 17 grain bullets are not constructed to take down a 40 pound game animal. Yotes are best suited to a larger round.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
personally i dont think hmr is a good idea the bullet will pass throught the animal so easily i recommend something like a .243
243 will pass right on threw it to. I used the 243 for them and its a great round the 17 will work close up.:bigeyes:

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I had a 17HMR a while ago and loved the round. But you need to stick with its intended uses: rabbit, squirel, prarie dog, but the biggest I'd take a shot at would be a ground hog

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Trouble is, the V-max's that come with most 17 HMR bulets don't really "expand." They completly blow up, giving you very little penetration. A very good round on anything under 15 pounds.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I feel the HMR is suitable for such game as the Secropia moth or grasshopper, and possibly on more dangerous game such as bumble bees and red wasps, providing the shooter is absolutely certain a clean thorax shot can be made.
:scool:

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
The 17HMR. Here is how I feel on the round. On game that you would otherwise shoot with a .22, it is fine, and probably does a better job than a .22. You can't, just because it shoots fast and flat, shoot anything larger than you could with a .22

·
Registered
740 Posts
The 17HMR. Here is how I feel on the round. On game that you would otherwise shoot with a .22, it is fine, and probably does a better job than a .22. You can't, just because it shoots fast and flat, shoot anything larger than you could with a .22
Thr 17mach2 is comparable and even superior to the 22LR. The 17HMR is comparable to the 22magnum. The 17hmr is faster and the 22magnum carries more energy.But in actuality they are 4 completely different rounds. M2 is a bit much for squirrels for it will cut a squirrel in two nearly. It's got 30% more range than 22lr. Both the 22magnum and the 17hmr are more powerful than the 17mach2.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
That is because all a 17 HMR is is a necked down .22 WMR and a mach 2 is a necked down 22 LR. The main difference is the size and shape of the lead that they shoot. A .22 shoots a little, round slug, where a .17 shoots a bullet more similar to most other rifles. A .22 bullet is about double the size of the .17's. I consider the m2 a fine round on squirrel, just make a good head shot. The question on weather it is a good coyote round comes down to bullet size and construction, both of which are inadaqute for game the size of a coyote. A 17 grain bullet isn't designed for game that large.

·
Registered
593 Posts
All joking aside, buy more gun for predators. At least .223. I hate Coyotes more than most but they still deserve to croak quickly and cleanly.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I shall have to abandon my attempts to inform the masses about the mighty ability of the poor misunderstood little 17 caliber. Alas it was not to be.

Perhaps if I regale you of storys of..............nevermind.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I own a .17 HMR, as I said, and I fully know what it is capable of. Nobody here is doubting its killing power, its great ballistics or superiority to the .22 lr. The question was is it a good coyote round, and my opinion is no, its not. Never said anything bad about it, all that I am trying to say is that I personally would not take it on a coyote hunt. When I shoot an animal, I want quick results, which is why when I coyote hunt, I reach past my 17 hmr and grab my .223.

1 - 20 of 190 Posts