Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've known that I've had coyote's since last summer; I lost one cat which I'm assuming is from them. Last night my wife saw a coyote chase one of our cats into our front yard luckily we have cat doors in our windows and the cat was able to jump into that. So my question is that typical? I wouldn't expect a coyote to come into my front yard and with in feet of my bedroom window. Do you think this was isolated incident or should I actively hunt this (these) coyotes? I know they are around my barn I've seen carcasses from their kills and I hear them howling. I have 3 dogs and I’ve seen up to 3 coyotes walk with in feet of the fence with my dogs barking and going nuts on the other side. I’m not a hunter and didn’t want to kill them just because they are coyotes but coming into my front yard isn’t something I’m willing to tolerate.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Lots of coyotes get used to people and will come very close for easy food such as your cats or dogs. i would definitely shoot them on sight they won't just go away.

·
Wonderment :)
32,036 Posts
consideration

tomwoh: Sir; you may want to give serious considerations in removing them; sooner than later. You just might wake to dead dog or dogs, cat and other animals that you consider special.
Once they have no fear?
NC call them varmints and they can be dispacted on contact. Contact you Wildlife folks and make sure that you are okay.

Follow up with your happinings. Thanks

·
Registered
58 Posts
Coyotes are smart buggers and they take your pets from your yard... Had one run my Brittany into my garage last year, and followed him in... I met his exit with a 12 gauge, which ended that... I've killed two this year while set up on a tom, they only moved when the turkey was fanned and facing away... Both shots under 10 feet! BTW they are often hard to kill... Both 'yotes took 3 1/2 magnum 12 gauge 4 shot to the face and needed a second shot to finish them

At any rate, they will pattern animals and take them effectively if left unchecked. I'd move on them quickly... Keep us posted.

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
Use the neighbors pet cat or small dog.Stake it out in the back yard,go in and turn the volumn down on the western you have on tv and listen for a comotion out doors.A rifle works best at longer ranges but if your bait is in your yard you should be able to keep it to 50yds and under making a shotgun and heavy shot very effective.If you are crazy enough to listen to this advice your wife has probably already left you and all you have to worry about is your neighbors,especially the one you borrowed the bait from,and possibly the conservation dept.and local police.But that is normal.Someone is always spoiling your fun. sam.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Coyotes are smart and talk to their friends. Dust a couple of'm with birdshot and they pretty quick learn to go elsewhere. BTW, what you're doing is defending your property, not hunting. If the shotgun doesn't run'm off use a .22 to gut shoot'm. Let'm run off to die saving you the cleanup.
If you want to hunt'm later, get yourself a call and a good varmit gun. In the winter they make an excellent pelt. There ain't much better looking than trimming a coat with some nice coyote fur. Also you'll reduce the population and teach'm to avoid your area.

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
I certainly disagree with shooting them with a .22 in the gut. Bad ethics! People think bad enough of hunters and shooters already.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
This is not hunting, it's defending your property.
Where I live coyotes have no problem killing or crippling cats, dogs, chickens, sheep, goats or anything else they can get a' holed of. We've even had kids attacked right around San Antonio.
Especially in the summer Coyotes carry all kinds of diseases and parasites. I hestitate to handle a dead Coyote, or have it's carcass around my animals, until after a good cold snap. A Federal Trapper who lives close to me, Jimmy Eichmann, caught Lyme disease three years ago and is disabled for life.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
33,992 Posts
We've got them here in New York, too. They moved into the ecological niche vacated by the gray wolf, which was hunted and trapped out of here more than a century ago. Haven't seen any in the neighborhood yet, but I've had them cross the road within 2 miles of the house. Showed no fear of cars, either.

And if a coyote shows up in the nighborhood, there isn't much I can do. There is a law on the books that forbids shooting within 500 feet of an occupied dwelling, which precludes a gun. Crossbows are verboten, unless you are handicapped, and a bow and arrow isn't something you can keep ready the way you can a rifle. Call the fish & game people, and they take a report and do nothing. Can't use poison baits, and a havahart trap bigh enough to take a coyote is also big enough to trap a little kid. And I don't think the sheriff would buy the business about 'defending your property.' It sucks to live in New York, what with all the restrictive gun laws!

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
This is not hunting, it's defending your property.
Where I live coyotes have no problem killing or crippling cats, dogs, chickens, sheep, goats or anything else they can get a' holed of. We've even had kids attacked right around San Antonio.
Especially in the summer Coyotes carry all kinds of diseases and parasites. I hestitate to handle a dead Coyote, or have it's carcass around my animals, until after a good cold snap. A Federal Trapper who lives close to me, Jimmy Eichmann, caught Lyme disease three years ago and is disabled for life.
Well use rubber gloves. KILL IT! Don't just wound it. Drop a rope around it's neck and drag it off. Do something but don't just wound it.

·
Registered
275 Posts
The only way to deal with a coyote(or coyotes) that have lost fear of man and his surroundings is to use deadly force.You mentioned a barn so I assume you are in a rural setting.If so, keep your guns ready and if the opportunity to take one or more of them out arrises,do it.A shotgun shooting #4 buck or a rifle caliber of .223 or larger are both deadly on coyote and should anchor them on the spot.I live in Indiana,and it is legal to shoot coyote all year long on your own property.You may want to check your states hunting regulations.Good luck with a problem that seems to be growing all over the U.S.A.

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
Coyotes are efficiant, clever and deadly predators. Around San Antonio there have been many sightings and pets taken. The yotes are a little more cautious out our way as they've learned high speed lead poisioning is a hazard here. If they are on your property dispatch them with predjudice if you have pets kids or stock. As long as the Coyotes are there all of those are in danger.

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
Kill them !!! They are like skunks in regards to rabies. I hate to tell this and you have to be very careful.
Our feed stores here carry a coyote poison and folks around here are haveing to use it because of the population explosion of coyotes.
It's a terrible death for them if you can't shoot or catch them, but alls far if they kill one of your beloved pets or a child.

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
Yep they need to be killed if they are coming around. Just use a centerfire or Shotgun with some Remington Wingmaster predator loads or Buckshot.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Here in Kentucky, we've got coy dogs. Part coyote, part dog. They're slightly larger than a medium-sized dog, and a lot tougher.

I hear people talk of taking them down with a single 40grain .22 bullet, but have yet to do it myself. I originally began hunting them with my own .22 rifle, but though we have plenty of coydogs around here, I never saw one.

However, this last November while deerhunting the day before Thanksgiving, I had a coydog run crossways to me about 50yds or so away. I was sitting in the woods across from my neighbors cornfields where a flock of Turkeys were feeding. My best guess is that the critter didn't know I was there because it was intent on the flock, anyway I stood up and dropped it with my brothers 30-30 Marlin lever-gun.

A single 160grain LeverEvolution shattered the right front shoulder and knocked a softball sized hole in the hide. My intention had been to hit her vitals, but if I hadn't of led her a little too much, I may not have gotten her at all. As it was, I had to put two more bullets in the head to finish it off at close range.

I'm the umpteenth person to shoot a coyote in my area with a 30-30, but only the second one to actually verify the kill. They are extremely tough and hardy, and don't bleed well when hit in the vital areas.

First I suggest using a large caliber rifle or pistol, and either aim for headshots, or intentionally bust that shoulder to cripple it, then finish it off with a headshot.

They do have nice have beautiful coats, I reccomend that you skin it, or find someone to skin it for you. The coat I got off mine was the prettiest coat I've ever seen on a coyote. Because the right shoulder had been obliterated, I had to cut it out, but it still is a nice one.

Keep us posted on the situation. Good Luck!

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
They will absolutely continue to come by, especially if they've already taken animals near your place.

We have them here in Vegas not too far from the undeveloped areas where I live. I hear them at night and have caught a few glimpses. This is why I don't let my cat out unsupervised (he's really an indoor cat, anyway). But they take cats and lure dogs out and kill them every so.

I would imagine #4 buckshot might be a little much if you want a clean carcass to skin, but then again, I wouldn't recommend it unless you're pretty sure it's a "clean" animal.

But I don't think you have much of a choice. If it chased your cat it'll be back for an easy meal. It's obviously not afraid of humans, either. Really has to be killed at this point.

- Coeloptera

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
They will absolutely continue to come by, especially if they've already taken animals near your place.

We have them here in Vegas not too far from the undeveloped areas where I live. I hear them at night and have caught a few glimpses. This is why I don't let my cat out unsupervised (he's really an indoor cat, anyway). But they take cats and lure dogs out and kill them every so.

I would imagine #4 buckshot might be a little much if you want a clean carcass to skin, but then again, I wouldn't recommend it unless you're pretty sure it's a "clean" animal.

But I don't think you have much of a choice. If it chased your cat it'll be back for an easy meal. It's obviously not afraid of humans, either. Really has to be killed at this point.

- Coeloptera
+1^

1 - 20 of 57 Posts