Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I'm too lazy to check the archives, and I was wondering if any of you knew the best price and source of a side-mount scope mount for a mosin 91/30. I looked at those POSP scope mounts in Sportsman's Guide, but man, those scopes are pretty pricey, and I'm cheap. (POSP-type are the nice, Russian SF-looking scopes that use a prism or something so the eyepiece is out of line with the objective). I don't want a scout mount, because I want to be able to use my iron sights in a pinch, should I bonk the scope or something. I'll probably weld on a bent bolt handle.. heheh. Anyway. I was looking at those 30 dollar shotgun scope mounts at Wallyworld, and they're pretty sturdy looking. I was thinking I might be able to adapt one of those to fit.. Eh. Any comments/info would be appreciated. As long as they aren't to suggest a scout mount :p Oh, and you have to cut away part of the stock to mount those, right? Thanks.
JD

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
make sure to buy high quality!!

i can not tell you how many people i have seen leaving the range cussing because their rifle(wich is quality) is performing horribly because the SCOPE. For your sake, buy quality, and in most cases, that means putting forward a few more pennies

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I have 3 double rifle "hard cases" made of plastic, I got at Walmart a few years ago, that I use when transporting my rifles. I have never had a scope knocked off zero. They are foam lined and protect the rifles very well. I just lay'em in the back of the truck and go.

I have had scopes "go bad" while shooting.

Here's a tip. If the scope refuses to "take the clicks" you put in, or just seems way out of zero, Turn the adjustments from Full Left to Full Right, counting the total number of clicks. Then turn it to the middle of the adjustment range. Do the same for Up & Down. Then start zeroing from there.

This usually works well.

I had to do this with a scope about two weeks ago. Sometomes they stick.

Nick

·
Registered
4 Posts
91/30 scope mount

Try a BKL scope mount which fits on the dovetail under the rear sight housing. It does require a "scout" scope with LER. You can still use the iron sights with it in place.
Sinclair Intl has them for $30.
Good quality---I have one mounted.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Does anyone know how to correct for a mosin that is shooting really high at all range settings? I was shooting a 203 gr Barnaul round today at 350 yards, with the rifle set on 100 meters, and STILL shot at least 1.5 feet high, but I coudlnt' tell HOW high because higher than that was into a woods. It shoots aobut 1.5 feet high at 150 yards (at that setting) with a 147? grain Czech silver-tipped bullet, too. There doesn't seem to be any elevation adjustment on the front sight. It's an M91/30.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Yes, you can get some heatshrink and stick it on the front sight post to "lengthen" it a bit, and then just trim it as necessary until you get it where your rifle shoots. ( by lengthening your front sight post you lower your shots )
The other benefit of using it is you can taper it to a sharp point which helps alot with fine tuning your aim for long distance shots!

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Those factory sniper scopes and mounts for the 91/30 are awsome! Only thing is that they are $200 plus shipping. :confused: But, if you drill and tap, I bet it would be way less than that. THe scout mounts are always a good choice, though personally, I am not a fan of having the scope so far up on the stock. Even with the proper relief it is still a pain to me, but that is my persoanl opinion and dno't let it persuade you in any way.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I'm thinking about drilling & tapping on the side and using one of those 30 dollar shotgun scope mounts at Walcrap. They're side-mount, and should be able to take the kick of a high-powered rifle like the mosin. Whadda you think?

I've also seen the ones that are basically a long weaver mount with notches in it, and somehow mounts on the top of the receiver, but one I saw a few years ago had a bunch of play in it. Those are available on ebay. I'm kind of shy of them. I don't like scout mounts much, either. I don't know..
Sks forever, what factory scopes and mounts are you talking about? I can drill & tap myself.. I'd be interested if the mount itself is under 40 or 50 bucks.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Mosin Nagant Scope & Mount Package

Ronhart International has some scout scope and mount packages available starting at $54.95. Each package includes a new 3rd generation scope mount, rings and an extended eye relief scope in 2.5x, 4x, or 2-7x zoom. Illuminated reticles are also available. They also have Mosin Nagant bipods and muzzle brakes. For photos and info go to:
http://shootersexchange.com/srchres...f=Mosin-Nagant&inv_id=&Submit=Search+Firearms

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
oh those long ones are scout mounts.. thanks tallyman, that site is neat, but I prefer not to use a scout mount. I'm looking for something cheap to drill & tap, very stable, and that will allow me to still use the iron sights. I don't care about carving out the stock a little bit on the side.

·
Registered
37 Posts
If you have the skill and tools to accurately drill and tap a rifle for a scope mount by all means do it. I am rather inept at that kind of work and, like many shooters, want something that is economical, works good and just bolts on with simple hand tools. A (qualified) gunsmith can charge as much as the Mosin Nagant cost just to drill and tap it for a standard side mount scope set-up. Most hunters are looking for an economical scope package for an economical rifle. The scout scope and mount arrangement is an excellent alternative and works very well for most shooters. I particularly like the LoPro (low profile) 2.5x30 scope package which includes the new short 3rd model scope mount and low rings for only $54.95 and which is so easy to mount. Mounted on a Mosin Nagant carbine this makes a great deer hunting package in wooded areas where most deer are taken at under 100 yards. For the M91/30 rifle I would go with one of the 4x packages.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
This is the mount I have on my 2 M91/30s. I have never had them loosen up. They have been on the rifles for 5-6 years, and 100s of rounds have been fired since mounting them.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=705908

I thought the bolt handle mod looked pretty iffy, but it hasn't come loose either. This is an excellent mounting system.

Nick

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Really? I had a friend who was having trouble with that system (at midway), because the screws stripped. It looks okay though. Thanks

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I haven't had any problem with mine at all. I had mine done by a gunsmith, at a local gunshop. Both mine and my better 1/2's have the same system and are solid. There have been 100s of rounds fired through both, with no loosening of the mounts or bolt handle.

Nick

·
Registered
37 Posts
The new 3rd Model scope mount from Ronhart International has one fully threaded alloy steel cross bolt which goes completely through the mount and is secured with a nut to lock it in place. It isn't going to loosen up under any conditions.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
MosinDave said:
Yes, you can get some heatshrink and stick it on the front sight post to "lengthen" it a bit, and then just trim it as necessary until you get it where your rifle shoots. ( by lengthening your front sight post you lower your shots )
The other benefit of using it is you can taper it to a sharp point which helps alot with fine tuning your aim for long distance shots!
That's a really good idea, MD! I would have never thought of using it.
I may not need to use heatshrink tubing now though (but I'll keep it in mind), cuz I just got one of those scope mounts like at midway int'l, for 40 bucks at Dunhams, so I'm gonna try that out. It looks pretty sturdy, except maybe for the bolt handle. Dad kept telling me that the single screw in the bolt would never be strong enough and that I should weld it, but I don't want to weld on the bolt..it'd uglify it anyway. I also got a Tasco Pronghorn (all rights reserved) scope for 40 bucks, 3-9x40, fog/shock/water proof, 30/30-type reticle (so it says), and hand-adjustable windage/elevation. It's pretty nice looking. Hopefully it'll work out well. Thanks guys.
JD

1 - 20 of 40 Posts