Crappie and Catfish...Mmm M Good!

Discussion in 'Fishing' started by Oxford, Sep 2, 2010.

1. Oxford

Oxford G&G Evangelist

Got lucky today and caught a 26" 6 lb blue catfish on my ultra light with 6 lb line and a minnow. Later my buddy, Glen, and I caught a total of ten keeper crappie (all over 9"). Got caught in a wind and rain storm on the far side of the lake...so it was a little rough going for a while...but we waited till this died down before heading back to the boat launch area.

Glen got to keep the fillets today...next week they're all mine(ha).

Ox

Attached Files:

2. grizcty

grizcty God, Guns, Glory Forum Contributor

Looks like you folks, had a great day of fishing!

3. Oxford

Oxford G&G Evangelist

Thanks for the comment Griztcy. Yes, we're lucky to get to fish so often. Retirement has been good for both of us. Glen and I go back many, many years...to 1959 when we were both students in the same college classes. So..now we fish together once a week if possible.

4. jerry

jerry Since 03-15- 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    Good catch!

5. Oxford

Oxford G&G Evangelist

I found out how hard a catfish can bite.(ha) Stuck my right thumb inside it's mouth to hold it up for the picture and the darned thing pinched down really tight....enough to puncture about a hundred tiny holes from it's upper teeth in the end of my right thumb.

So...that's why I changed techniques and held it up with a blue rag to protect my thumb. The finger is still red from that bite.(ha) Don't ever believe someone if they say a catfish bite doesn't hurt.

6. dman24

dman24 G&G Newbie

Looks like yall had a good day on the lake. Catfish do bite down pretty hard. I grab mine behind the gill fins. You shouldn't get stung that way either.

7. rondog

rondog G&G Evangelist

Whutchoo doin' out fishin' instead of moderatin'?

8. Oxford

Oxford G&G Evangelist

Rondog......ha.......life moves on. As you surely know...I resigned from being a moderator about two months ago for various reasons, all of which had nothing negative to do about this site. I just needed to give myself more time to pursue some other things...but I still spend a lot of time daily on G&G. This site gives me a lot of pleasure every day as I read and make comments on threads. And....I know that there are a lot of other members on this site who are highly qualified to fill in for any moderator vacancies. It's a matter of when Chris decides who/if/when to fill my vacency. I'll be supporting whomever it may be.

Meanwhile...I'll continue to give my fishing reports nearly weekly because my buddy, Glen, and I fish at least once a week when the weather permits. If you're read any of my older posts on fishing you may have seen my fishing boat outfit which I totally renovated. It's not new(ha) but it's all mine...and works like a charm for my purposes. Well...the Nissan 4 stroke/15 HP motor is new...but he old boat was probably made in the mid 60's. I had the pleasure of totally renovating that boat. My background made that a natural "labor of love" which I worked on in nearly all my free time till it was completed.

Since then Glen and I keep pulling in crappies, and occasionally catfish, bass, and other species. My camera is always in my fishing tackle box because I know that nobody believes a "fisherman's story" about how big a fish is...without documentation.(ha)

Tune in again next week for the next fishing report at Smithville Lake, located about 15 miles north of downtown Kansas City, MO.

Joe

9. rondog

rondog G&G Evangelist

Oh, guess I can't read anymore. I see "retired" moderator now, duh.

Well, enjoy your retirement and fishing trips, wish it was me! And don't bother trying the "hold the fish out at arm's length for the photo" trick, we ain't buyin' it.....

10. Nice blue cat Ox, and those crappie are nice too. Some times a storm can cause a feeding frenzy. What bait are you using for those crappie?