Crow recipes?

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by alleyyooper, Feb 5, 2020.

1. alleyyooper

alleyyooper G&G Evangelist

Michigan
    Any one got any recipes for crow. I am going to hunt them with a couple friends so want to cook any we collect.

I don't want to hear the crap, YUK their a scavanger either.
    Every read what the shrimp so many people like eat?
    Or how about Crab or even dry land wild pigs?

Just recipes please. Although I suppose about any chicken recipe would work.

:D Al

neophyte, Dutch, noelekal and 2 others like this.
  2. blaster

blaster G&G Evangelist

I'll be watching this thread. the only time I tried to eat a crow, it was so tough and strong tasting we threw it out. about the only worse thing I've tried to eat was an otter.

neophyte, Dutch, rando and 2 others like this.

3. SUBMOA

SUBMOA G&G Evangelist

My first guess would have been the Joy of cooking cook book. I looked but nope.

neophyte and Dutch like this.
  4. animalspooker

animalspooker G&G Evangelist

I've eaten crow quite often...just no literally!

neophyte, Brandhard, noelekal and 6 others like this.
  5. PaleHawkDown

PaleHawkDown G&G Evangelist

Look, all I will say is that crow is the one species of animal that pretty much every culture on earth agreed was not a good idea to eat; Native Americans, all of medieval Europe from the Norse to the Russ, and from the Greeks to the Suomi, China, the Japanese, the Australian Aborigines, Jews, Muslims. It is one of the foul creatures named in Leviticus. Even ancient Rome, in a time where raw eyeballs and testicles were a delicacy, they refused to eat crow.

Even the English language, with the idiom "eating crow" derides the practice as distasteful and disgusting.

As for recipes, it seems this guy might be a good place to start: https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/what-does-crow-taste-like

neophyte, Dutch, Brandhard and 2 others like this.
  6. alleyyooper

Michigan
    I have found PaleHawkDown' s not being accrite information really.

Looking for the one from the Ukraine where in anchient times they at it.
    I'll find it when I have time and post it.

7. TXplt

TXplt Gun Toting Boeing Driver Forum Contributor

Beat me to it.

If you gotta eat crow, ya gotta eat it plain. And with a degree of humility.

Brandhard, neophyte, noelekal and 3 others like this.
  8. AK Hunter

AK Hunter G&G Evangelist

Eating Crow to me has always been a bad thing. LOL
    I would guess you eat them a lot like the Mourning Dove that hunters take around here. I have seen them breast them out & wrap the breast with a piece of bacon & fry them. It's not worth the effort in my opinion. I would shoot them dig a hole & use them as fertilizer before I would try eat them.

neophyte, jwrauch and animalspooker like this.
  9. BigEd63

BigEd63 G&G Evangelist

Arkansas
    May have to see if the Congressional Cafeteria has any?

neophyte, noelekal and jwrauch like this.
  10. PaleHawkDown

Not accurate? Which part?

I know of a time in fairly recent Ukrainian history where they ate boots. I definitely would not consider a few rare outliers through history to be disruptive of my assertion that "pretty much every culture" was against the practice is wrong. It is not an absolute statement.

Pretty much everybody believes cannibalism is taboo, as well. Outliers do not a rule make.

neophyte and Brandhard like this.
  11. 63B20

63B20 G&G Evangelist

Montana
    The way your post reads one could get the impression you might thank cannibalism is ok

neophyte likes this.
  12. PaleHawkDown

Quite the opposite. The point I am trying to make is that if most people on the planet think something is taboo, it is probably not something that should be engaged in.

neophyte likes this.
  13. Jim Bridger

Jim Bridger G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

In the Book Of Acts some foods were declared clean for the Children of Israel to eat. Crow was not listed as OK for consumption. :)

14. alleyyooper

Michigan
    Bet beef steaks wasn't either, or pork for that matter.

blaster likes this.
  15. alleyyooper

Michigan
    This Youtube suggest people in Eroupe ate crow.

I did a search of acient people eatting crow and could not find one site suggesting they didn't.

During the depresstion there were penny restaurants that served meals for a cent. A lot served crow as one of the meals, was considered a delicacy at the time.

Ya'll Know shrimp and crab eat ocean trash don't you?

neophyte likes this.
  16. Bigfoot

Bigfoot G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Afton NY
    Other than eating crow smothered in stove top stuffing, i don't think even this scavenger is up for it [​IMG]

neophyte and jwrauch like this.
  17. PaleHawkDown

Beef is a clean meat, Biblically, as long as it is not served with butter or cheese. I'm afraid I fail on both of those counts, though.

neophyte, jwrauch and GoodNeighborSam like this.
  18. PaleHawkDown

Not one? Your Google might be broken.
    You couldn't find one site regarding the ancient world and their beliefs on the consumption of crow meat?

Not among the Norse who believed it was evil to kill or eat a crow because they were the messengers of Odin? Or among the Britons who believed it would anger Death? Or in the Bible where they are mentioned by name? Or among the Muslims where the eating of crow is forbidden in the Q'uran? Or in early Italian or Spanish Christian literature where they are not to be eaten because they are familiars of the Devil. Or among the early Semitic peoples who believed it was bad luck or ill portent? Or in German literature where they are said to carry the souls of warriors and should not be harmed. Or in the Native American legends where the crow is anything from a sign of good luck, to a sign of good crops, to a sign of battle, to the bringer of intelligence to man, to a trickster god, to a carrier of souls, and should not, under any circumstance, be eaten? Or to the Han Chinese where the crow symbolizes persistence? Or in Japan where the Crow is the symbol of the Will of Heaven, and the consuming of one would be akin to eating a Herald of God? Or in ancient Greece where even seeing a crow is a portent of bad luck, and interfering with a crow in any way tempts death and misfortune? Or among the Australian Aboriginees where even chasing a crow is cause for its brothers to try to steal your soul on the way to the afterlife, and killing one will lead to an afterlife of torture as crows pick your soul to pieces? Or in India where, not only is it forbidden to eat crow, but there is an entire holiday, Śrāddha, where it is considered a blessing to offer them food? Or in ancient Russian mythology where the crow is either basically Prometheus with a trickster streak who will torment those who attack him even after death, or the creator of the world itself? Or in ancient Irish mythology where you should never kill a crow because it might be the war goddess Badb in disguise? Or in ancient Vietnam where the word for crow means "detestible" or "evil" and the eating of one will lead to a lifetime of misfortune, and even using the proper name "qua" is bad luck in certain circumstances, because not even the WORD should be in your mouth, so they reverse it in conversation (something like ack) instead? Or in Zoroastrian texts where crows are strictly forbidden as unclean meat? Or in pre-Mohomed Arabic texts, where the time of day determines whether or not it is safe to even kill a crow, but warn that crow should never be eaten? Or among certain tribes of Beduins where it is said that a man who eats crow will only ever be able to tell lies and will be destroyed as a result.

You couldn't find evidence of any ancient people believing that eating crow was bad? Not one? Not from the two different books of the Bible where they are specifically named? Not from the vastness of international mythology? Not from all of the Internet?

The examples I have given only scratch the surface. I have hundreds of books on mythology and comparative religion. Depending on century, the Catholics vacillated between it being wrong to eat crows because of their ties to demons, or because they were sacred symbols. In early Christian mythology it was said to be a raven who taught Adam to bury Abel, Elijah was fed by ravens, Noah was said to have released a raven first before releasing a dove, a raven is said to be the protector of Christian hermits and were said to feed the Saints. I found a link with some other examples: https://catholicsaints.info/raven/.

I'm not a superstitious guy on most things. But if most of the world agrees a meat is bad to eat, it is probably best to avoid it.

Something being a delicacy rarely means that it is actually good. Trust me, I have eaten "delicacies" that would curl most people's toes.

19. runfiverun

runfiverun G&G Evangelist

I think you got the raven and the crow mixed up in there some.

20. PaleHawkDown

I think that you will find they are both black birds of the Family Corvidae of the genus Corvus - meaning CROW, and even English did not make a distinction between the two universally until the mid 18th Century at the earliest. Also, all ravens ARE crows, though not all crows are ravens.

Crows are found on the African, Asian, Australian, and American continents, as well as Eastern Europe. Ravens are found in these same places.

Strangely few of even the modern languages make a distinction between the two.
    Vietnam, for example, still doesn't make a distinction between the two except to call one "large" and one "small". The Aborigines are the same. If you really want to play that game though, the Chinese also use the same word for Corvidae of blue and green color as well as black, seemingly making your argument even weaker as it encompasses more varieties within the species. In Hindi a "crow" is "kaua" a raven is "kaala kaua" which means "black crow" because they, too, use the same word for different members of Corvidae.
    The ancient Greeks made no distinction between the birds. Arabic makes no distinction between the two. To my knowledge there is not a single Native American language that makes a distinction between the two birds. I can't find where any African or Australian tribes make a distinction between the two in language - despite both birds being in those places. In Russian, a crow is "ворона" and a raven is "вороной" - basically "diminutive raven" and "large raven" - and again, Russia has both. Most older Slavic dialects have no distinction between the two whatsoever.

You will also find the the Saga of Erik the Red notes that there were "Hrafn" (Ravens) to be found in Vinland, a sign that Odin was watching them. You may know that in that region of North America there are primarily "crows", while the Norsemen came from a nation that, at the time, had only Ravens. This means that the Norse considered the two species one and the same. The only time in the Sagas there is a distinction is when mentioning Odin's personal ravens, Huginn and Munnin, who are "tveir Hrafn" - as distinguished from "samnaor Hrafn". Some linguists consider this a distinction between the two types because of the fact that ravens generally travel in pairs, while crows flock. It isn't until the 13th Century, though, that "Crawe" or "Krow" begin to show up in Nordic tales, and even then Huginn and Munnin are sometimes called "paired crows" or "large crows" interchangeably with ravens.

Among modern, Western, languages, French makes no distinction between the two, most dialects of Spanish do not, most Slavic and "Romance" languages only make a "large or small" distinction, much like Russian.

I think you will find that western Germanic-based languages, and those who borrow words from them, as well as a few of the Balto-Slavic languages are the only ones in the world that make a complete distinction. English, Portuguese, German, Dutch, Swedish, Serbian, Slovak, and a small handful of others are among a minority of languages that make any distinction between the two except by adding a description of size.

Linguistically, only approximately 540 million people in the world, out of a planet out of 7.5 billion would agree with you that I am wrong. Historically, almost all of of those peoples would have agreed they were the same bird until sometime around the 9th Crusade. Most of the rest of those wouldn't come to an agreement until the sometime around the 17th Century - the English language included, and even then only in certain regions.

Most of the Middle Eastern and Western religions base their opinion on the birds' diets. Theoretically some of the seed-eating members of the Corvidae family would be safe to eat - but nothing that eats the dead. This means that, from a religious standpoint, there is no difference made between the two. I believe you will find that true of 3.88 billion practitioners of religions with a taboo against eating carrion eaters or crows specifically.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
    neophyte likes this.