Curing salmon

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by Huh? What?, Oct 17, 2020.

1. Huh? What?

Huh? What? G&G Evangelist

Central AZ
    Got one thing off the to-do list today. I got salmon curing in the refrigerator. It'll get smoked on Tuesday, probably. Or Wednesday. Used two different recipes.

First is a simple Five-Spice mix

Ingredients (by weight of the filet)

2% coarse kosher salt
    2% white sugar
    1% Five Spice powder
    0.25% cure#1

The second is a more complicated spice mix

Ingredients (by weight of the filet)

2% coarse kosher salt
    2% white sugar
    0.5% ground coriander
    0.5% paprika
    0.5% ground bay leaf
    0.5% mustard powder
    0.25% white pepper
    0.25% onion powder
    0.25% cure#1

In both cases, I whisk the spice mix to combine, rub the filet, and put it in a vacuum bag with all of the spice mix, distributing the spice mix as evenly as possible before vacuum sealing.

Then I refrigerate for two to three days before unbagging, rinsing off and patting dry. It goes back into the fridge on a rack overnight. The next day it cold smokes for 4 hours.

It gets repacked until needed. If it is going to be more than a week, I freeze it.

2. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Both recipes sound good. I'm sure I would love both of them.

3. Dragunov

Dragunov G&G Evangelist

I make salmon jerky. Just a 6 hour brine bath, hang in an ariated box outside, until very leathery, and into a spare fridge for a month, until it snaps, when bent. Yum!

rando, shanebrews and Huh? What? like this.
  4. animalspooker

animalspooker G&G Evangelist

I really don't like you guys. Here's the salmon I see around here.
    [​IMG]

Dragunov and ChaZam like this.
  5. shanebrews

shanebrews G&G Evangelist

I keep it super simple when I smoke salmon. Harris Teeter has had sockeye on sale for most of the summer. I just put Himalayan pink salt on it and smoke it over pecan.

Spookers can does not often make an appearance in this house. Every now and then I'll get the urge to make salmon patties. My wife used to make a stew with that stuff and she'd leave the bones in. It's supposed to be a popular thing in Puerto Rico. The flavor was alright but having to fish out the bones was annoying. She claimed the way to tell the stew was done was when the bones had softened enough to chew. I'm not going to chew fish bones.

jerry and rando like this.
  6. rando

rando G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Maryland
    I cant eat the stuff in a can. I had it so much as a kid when mom made salmon cakes and fried them. It does not taste like salmon to me. My brother still makes them and uses the same can salmon. He adds minced onion and celery and egg to it. I dont like the tint bones in it. Now the smoked salmon like Huh What describes is what I like. That's the real stuff.

shanebrews likes this.
  7. Huh? What?

Central AZ
    We have to watch for wild caught salmon to appear. Ignoring the fact that is usually higher quality, something in the farm-raised salmon makes my wife sick. I do nothing with canned salmon. Too many bad childhood memories.

rando likes this.
  8. maddogg

maddogg G&G Evangelist

I'm glad to hear I wasn't the only kid that was feed salmon cakes.

9. Dragunov

Dragunov G&G Evangelist

Canned salmon is survival/apocalypse food only.
    Put in a blender, a little sesame oil, celery, cilantro, onion, salt (if needed), pepper, and garlic, and it's passable. My mom made croquettes out of it. Wasn't too bad, but my mother was an exceptional cook. She was pretty good at polishing a turd.

shanebrews likes this.
  10. Huh? What?

Central AZ
    Salmon's in the smoker.

rando likes this.
  11. Huh? What?

Central AZ
    Salmon is pulled after 4 hours smoke, vacuum packed and in the fridge.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

jerry and rando like this.
  12. rando

rando G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Maryland
    Looks awesome. I would not mind smoking or even grilling some one day soon. Was looking at Salmon fillets yesterday. They are very high priced here.

13. Huh? What?

Central AZ
    They are fairly high-priced here, as well. especially as we only buy wild-caught.