close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Custom Grips

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Logansdad, Apr 28, 2002.

1. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

I have a 5th year wedding anniversary coming up...the wood anniversary. Can you say Eagle Secret Service Grips for a round butt k frame. Unky Dunky can.
    :nod: Now I need a Ruger P90 that I can order some fake ivory grips from Lett Custom so I can send them to Sid Ryan for some world class scrimshaw:target:

2. Sutro

Sutro G&G Newbie

And your reason for posting this is....????

3. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

Just to draw people into a discussion...so they can post something...anything

4. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

I have a black cat named "Kitty".

5. Sutro

Sutro G&G Newbie

OK, I'm game...

I'd stay away from fake ivory grips for a handgun, unless it's just for display (and even then...): Fake ivory (i.e. polymer) and mother of pearl are too slippery. Now, if you're fabulously wealthy, genuine ivory actually makes a pretty good grip. Have you considered bone?

Folks who make custom grips generally won't limit you to the materials that they have in stock - many, if not most, will make grips of materials you provide. And a good source of exotic materials is knifemaking suppliers.

Congrats on your 5th anniversary: I've tried twice and never got past the third.

6. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

I love Sid Ryan's scrimshaw...I bought a Walther PPK/S just to put his scrimshawed grips on. I like wood grips on revolvers (especially carry revolvers).
    I didn't get it Klaus.
    It is definitely hard to stay married (my wife would agree...wholeheartedly)

7. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

I was only making you happy. You said:
    ...so they can post something...anything

8. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

OK, here is a grip related question: Does anyone make custom grips out of MICARTA? I have some concealed carry guns that would be improved with thinner grip panels.

9. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

Lett Custom, Ajax & Eagle

10. Hmmmmmmmm. Replacement grips for a P90?? Oversized?? I got big paws! Put a Pachmayr slip-on on my P90. Shoots so much nicer. I can actually hit something now.

11. Contacted Lett and Ajax. No oversized grips for the P90. Have to try Eagle.

12. Sutro

Sutro G&G Newbie

Just a quick FYI: In the course of placing an order with Eagle I found their customer service to be laughably awful, grew tired of fussing with them and cancelled the order. Which they then didn't cancel. (Did I say I'd found their customer service to be laughably awful?)

The grips, however, were excellent, so I kept them. Besides, by that time I rather anticipated that returning them would just continue the ongoing saga of hassles.

13. So, I guess I won't try Eagle after all.

14. Sutro

Sutro G&G Newbie

Oh, I don't know that I'd avoid them if I were you. I'd just remember that I may need to be very patient with them in the course of getting my order straight. And that the point is to get some good grips for your gun.

15. O.K., I'm going to throw in a shameless plug here :D Try our website - www.pickagrip.com. We have grips from Hogue (a few), Ahrends and Spegel, primarily for the 1911's, Browning Hi-Power, S&W & Colt revolvers, Walther, Beretta and just got some Ruger S/A grips. The difference is you actually get to pick your set of grips from the pics on the site, and they're usually shipped out within 24 hours.

16. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

thanx...I'll check it out