Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to build a Mauser in an as of yet undisclosed chambering. ;)

Looking to use a stepped barrel, either military or custom stepped contour. This is for scout style mounting options as well as to be compatible with some military hardware. I won't box myself in to the scout style, but have something in mind that I at least want to be possible.. Barrel approx 20in. Will consider reboring a military barrel if a smith is willing. If a new barrel is used, I would either need to have the barrel maker fit and finish it to an action, or have the fitting done locally. I'm assuming having the barrel maker do the headspacing would be more cost effective, but is that correct? I would probably buy a rifle or action online and have it shipped to a barrel maker or reboring smith, and then have it shipped to me after the build.

I'd like to customize the stock myself, but start with something professionally inletted. My tools are more suited to the outside shapes than the high precision internals. Can I get inletted blanks that I can carve to fit my ergonomics? I can modify some internals, ie around the barrel, but don't want to touch how the trigger housing and magazine mate with the receiver.

Want it to be legal to hunt in Canada. Is 5rd capacity and 20" barrel length sufficient to ensure that, or is there more? Any issues with a threaded barrel or any possible muzzle attachments?

Looking to work out a budget and project plan, with a few different options.

·
Premium Member
6,326 Posts
Want it to be legal to hunt in Canada. Is 5rd capacity and 20" barrel length sufficient to ensure that, or is there more? Any issues with a threaded barrel or any possible muzzle attachments?
20" barrel is still ok. 5rnd mag is still ok, too. Better check before you cross because our Fearless Leader is in the middle of another dump of useless gun control laws. The threaded barrel is also ok but if there is anything attached to it besides a thread protector, expect the border people to lose control of their bladder. That said, I have rifles with muzzle brakes and flash hiders; they are legal. So far.

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are 20" barrels potentially going to be too short any time soon? I'll skip the threads - the idea was to future proof in case of new muzzle attachments, but I'll keep those on other rifles.

·
Premium Member
4,678 Posts
Find a decent M98 action, buy a Green Mountain Barrel, barrel blank in your chosen caliber. They generally come in 25" length, depending on your choice of chambering adjust the barrel length accordingly. I would use a Picitinny mounting system as it is rugged and relatively easy to find as machined lengths to be drilled and mounted to your receiver but in your case your barrel. As far as buying an inletted stock but exterior is not finished....never seen it done. Not saying someone with a pantograph/cnc duplicator won't do it but you will need a barrelled action for the dimensions to be input to figure tapers and tolerances...

Reactions: Dutch and ChaZam

·
Premium Member
9,653 Posts
I built quite a few hunting rifles on Mauser receivers. I mostly used large ring full length receivers. Reason is if you use and intermediate receiver like a Yugo M48 you cant chamber it for larger { Longer} caliber like 3006, 2506, 270 or any magnum calibers. I have also did small ring builds from like Spanish M1916 and 93 or 95 . If you want a large caliber then get yourself a large ring M98 receiver. I use mostly Shaw and Lothar Walther Barrels. There are a few others but all usually have to be ordered and made per your specs. Most barrels I have bought were made in 24". I have used Fajen, Boyds and Bell and Carlsen stocks, You can get cheaper ones like butler Creek but I would not recommend it. Not a nice fit in these from action to stock. Also quite a few Hogue over molded stocks which are nice. Light strong fiberglass under and rubber coating in many patterns and colors. Please understand that it is costly to build a sporter. You will never get your money back if you sell. Its for personal gratification and building a rifle you like for your needs. Boyds has finished and unfinished stocks for the Mauser. Also checkering and laser etched work you choose. Also realize that the barrels usually come like .050 short chambered. You need finishing reamer to finish up the chambering and also GO, NO GO and Field gauges to get your head space correct while reaming. I am going to build a big game rifle soon for one of my sons. 9.3x62 Caliber Mauser.

·
Premium Member
6,326 Posts
Are 20" barrels potentially going to be too short any time soon? I'll skip the threads - the idea was to future proof in case of new muzzle attachments, but I'll keep those on other rifles.
I have no idea. Our Gun Zombies are just as irrational as yours. You won't have a problem with threaded barrel as long as you only have the installed thread protector with you. Make sure you declare your rifle. Our Customs people love to make a big flap over "illegal" guns. Things aren't the way they used to be; not on either side of the border.

Reactions: Dutch

·
Premium Member
6,326 Posts
I am going to build a big game rifle soon for one of my sons. 9.3x62 Caliber Mauser.
I have likewise built many. As you say, it is not something a person does with the expectation of even getting your money back. Have you checked into the 8x68S? I only raise it as a possibility because I came into one by happenstance recently and have been blown away. I am easily under MOA with 200-220 grain bullets moving near or over 3000. Crazy. Recoil is tolerable too, a tad more subdued than 300 Win Mag I would say. Ammo is hard to find and expensive, though I expect the 9.3x62 wouldn't be commonplace either. If your son reloads that wouldn't matter after the intial sticker shock for brass wears off.

Reactions: Dutch and rando

·
Premium Member
9,653 Posts
I have likewise built many. As you say, it is not something a person does with the expectation of even getting your money back. Have you checked into the 8x68S? I only raise it as a possibility because I came into one by happenstance recently and have been blown away. I am easily under MOA with 200-220 grain bullets moving near or over 3000. Crazy. Recoil is tolerable too, a tad more subdued than 300 Win Mag I would say. Ammo is hard to find and expensive, though I expect the 9.3x62 wouldn't be commonplace either. If your son reloads that wouldn't matter after the intial sticker shock for brass wears off.
He has recently started to get into reloading. I actually got ahead of the game awhile back and bought about 10 boxes of ammo already. Got a start at least. Yeah I bought the ammo before building the rifle.

·
Premium Member
6,326 Posts
I did that when I bought my first CD player. Couldn't afford the player but I could afford a CD now and then. After I had a dozen or two CD's I figured: "Well heck. I doesn't make sense not to have a CD player now." LOL.

Reactions: K75RT and rando

·
Premium Member
9,653 Posts
I did that when I bought my first CD player. Couldn't afford the player but I could afford a CD now and then. After I had a dozen or two CD's I figured: "Well heck. I doesn't make sense not to have a CD player now." LOL.
That sounds about right. I have a few different manufactures of the ammo. I got a decent price on the Sellier & Bellot stuff in the green box some time ago along with the 6.8 SPC. Its all brass cased and round nose soft point. Forgot what grain they are but heavy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts