Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know tons of people have made custom rifles on Mauser actions.
But what about a Mosin Nagant?
I have heard about the pressure situations with doing it on certain calibers with a MN.
But it is a strong action none the less.
Shaun has told me about his custom MN job.
Has anyone else made a custom rifle on a Mosin Nagant action?

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
not yet but thinking i might try getting E.R. Shaw to make me a 7mm08 barrle for one. make a nice lil carbine for the lil lady.

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
for what it would cost, i would rather get a 110 barreled action and a really nice chunk of wood to stock it in.

but if moneys no object, go do it.

·
YOU TALKIN' TO ME!?
21,193 Posts
Don't bother...

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
ok maybe i won't. got an email back telling me the price. now way!
i'll get her a 110 siera synthetic.
btw if no one has seen these they are a supper light wieght carbine version of the 110 from savage, very light and easy handeling, move fast though they aren't makeing it any more so teh one the whole salers have are the only ones left. i have one at the shop in 308. what a nice lil high country deer rifle that thing is.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I don't like to answer a question with a question but my question is why would anybody want to? If I recall correctly it is 7.62X54R Not that its ugly as sin,But starting with a rimmed bolt face is foolish. It is a good thing the Ruskies didn't have a Remengton. Not that the Ruskies are not very bright cause they came up with the AK in 7.62X39, now theres a smart cartrage my friend. Doesn't have to kill,just wound. The design opened the door for all the short magnums. The best being 22 PPC or 6MM PPC. My opinion .

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well another question: Why not? I mean not that everyone doesn't have a project or 2 in mind,but in the long run, yeah why not? It would be a cool project, and very unique.
I think the 7.62x54 is a very capabile round. A little more than the 308 and yet a little less than the 30-06. A nice middle ground if you ask me. I know that some have converted Nagants to fit a 308. And rightfully so. It seems to work well for them.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
During the customizing would the sticky bolt action be included?

I can't see doing a superb customizing job and leaving that gawd awful bolt system as it is.....grrrrrr! LOL

I sure like my Moisins but I have to ask myself if all the Russian soldier shooting one in WWII were lying there and cussing loudly in Ruskie?????????

Heck, after a day of putting a good couple three hundred rounds through one of mine the palm of my right hand was badly bruised from slapping the bolt open after each round.

There just has to be a better way......wait......there is......the Mauser action, he he he he.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Point taken I guess. I was just curious as to if anyone has done it. And some details about it.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Well Myarmor I have a highly customized Mosin Magant with full engraving.
a longer bolt handle, custom stock completly different "buckhorn" style sights and a slicked up action.
it's still in 7.62x54r caliber
and a 186 grain soviet cartrige clocking at 2840fps is a little bit MORE powerful that the standard 150 grn 2750 fps 3006
so......................
with as many large variations of barrel length and cartrige specs, We can not expect maximun warp speed from every bullet from a Mosin Nagant but then neither can we from the 3006 either.
I have heard of 45-70 conversion.
that might be interesting.
there are lots of different things done to and with Mosin Nagants.
I would like to know more too.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Just a little about the Nagants. Ive had an M39, paid 50 bucks for it, shot great, hitting a 600 yard bull in the 9 ring consistantly(Using the 600M original sight on the gun) with those Light Ball Sniper ammo I bought through Shotgun News. Bought another for 39.95 (M91/30) just to get the rear sight off of it for a friend's gun. (Got 20 bucks for the sight) Bore was awful. I mounted a 29.00 scope on the gun and it shoots 3 inch groups at 100 yards, not good by a long shot but good enough for deer hunting around here where shots are limited. (Not bad for a 60.00 deer rifle)

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
The Russians have been sporterizing Nagants for years including developing wildcats on the '54r platform. I am building a deer rifle using a $50.00 91/30 but I wouldn't want to sink a lot of money in it by rebarreling it. I have been curious about possibly reboring one to .323 and creating an 8mmx54R.

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
if i was going to do anything to one it would probably be have a barrel made to the same caliber but with a true 308 bore so i could get better accuracy from standard 308 bullets. the caliber is fine with me. i dont see any need to rebarrel for the 308 win. because you can reload the 762x54 with the same 308 data and then some. but i doubt ill make any conversions to mine. the reason i got them in the first place is that they were economical.rebarreling would negate that. now someday i may do it,but that would have to be a day that i find out i won the lottery. because right now i got alot more important stuff to do with the money.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
A custom M/N would be cool and I love my Mosins but they just arent a good choice for customizing. As strong and reliable as they are, there are drawbacks and of course the biggest is the money it would require.
I agree with Dale. Use a Mauser action and the possibilities are almost limitless. The FN Mauser I get this week will be the action I use to build a custom. I'm thinking a 308 because a good quality barrel is easily available. Nothing to customize a Mosin is easy or cheap.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I read in Brownells catalog this morning you can buy an adjustable trigger for a Mosin. I was surprised.
Indy

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Not yet,
but the Ball is in the right place.
when I smooth up the trigger in A Mosin Nagant Thats the place I have to slick up.

I like the Idea.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts