close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Custom NEF's

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by 6string, Mar 19, 2002.

1. 6string

6string G&G Newbie

Ha Shaun. Those are some buzzar cal's. How many of them did you stuff barrels into get them?

2. Shaun

Shaun G&G Evangelist

All of them except the 20ga -- rimmed cases are easy so those are the one's we look at. We have been talking about a 50-110 and a few others. Usually we sit down and look at our copies of cartridges of the world then we review the rimmed rounds. If we find one we like then the search begins for some junk shotgun barrels that we can cut the chamber off of.

3. 6string

6string G&G Newbie

Shaun maybe you know. How come you can put a pistol grip on a shotgun but not a rifle? I know a rifle can't be any shorter than 26" Is that true for a shotgun. I'v seen shotguns with pistol grips and 18" barrels for sale at stores. Do you know minamum length for a shotgun? I want to make a Handy-Pistol. Can I do this? Thanks from Tim

4. Shaun

Shaun G&G Evangelist

Check the ATF's site on the specific's if I remember right the issue of the pistol grips is part of the Assault weapon legistation. Benelli's are still sold with pistol grips and ATI manufactures a full stock for shotguns with a pistol grip. As to Length thats easy 16" is the min. barrel length for a longgun - I can't remember the full length requirement off the top of my head.

I have fired pistol gripped shotguns and believe me they suck if you want handy get the ATI stock you'll get better performance and the other option for you might be a TC Contender they are fun to shoot but require a little bit time to get used too

5. 6string

6string G&G Newbie

I know the min, length for long gun is 26"overall. 16" barrel on rifles and 18" barrel on shotgun. I don't know the min, overall length for shotgun. You can't have a pistol grip on a semi made after the ban. But I don't know about single shots. I know NEF sells a pistol grip that fits all NEF's but is marketed for there shotguns. The add says you have to have a 22" barrel to make it legal. Sure would be easy to get that grip, cut down a barrel and you have a cheep Contender.[Handy-Pistol] Your right about a shotgun with a pistol grip. Thats just for killing things at close rang.

6. 6string

6string G&G Newbie

Handy-Pistol

Ok Shaun. I'v looked at the ATF web page and read all that has to do with making guns. Anybody without a license that can legaly own a gun can make a rifle,shotgun,hand gun. as long as its not for profit. Rifle barrels can't be shorter than 16". Shotgun barrels can't be shorter than 18". Minamum length of a long gun is 26". You can put a stock on a hand gun if the barrel is at least 16" and the handgun with the stock on is no shorter than 26". I can't find anthing about making a hand gun out of a rifle or modifying a rifle. All the referance's on pistol grips are about assalt wepons. So I am thinking it's ok to put a pistol grip and a folding or removeable stock on a rifle as long as the rifle is with stock at least 26" long. Can I put a pistol grip on a rifle with a 16" or longer barrel to make it a handgun? Does this sound right or am I just trying to justify making what I want. Thanks for your replys. I too like to customize my NEF's but I want to be within the law.

7. Shaun

Shaun G&G Evangelist

Okay I am not sure you know my history but I am an ex LEO and I am big time into my collection and I love it when others shoot as well thats why I have my side business. The issue is legality and being that I am not the guy who would have to consider the legal effects if I was going to do such a thing I would first make some calls. Believe me the ATF is not the gustapo they are very helpful and they are the one's that might put a case against you not me. Call your local office and ask your questions can be anonymous and you can call from anywhere but ask for a legal backing of what you are asking. Also I would do research on the pistol gripped mini 14's with the folders and also the AR Pistol with the 7.5 inch barrels. Remember your the guy that would face a prosecutor not me.

I can tell you I have been on the prosecuting side for a weapons charge as I took a shotgun off a guy that had been cut down within 24hours prior to our team making the entry. It was a clean one as it was cut down to a pistol on the stock and the barrel wasn't more than 14". On the otherside I do know my stepfather's dad has a double barrel 12ga pistol that is a cutdown and I have always just ignored it.

another source would be a good local smith as they have to go through the laws very closely to stay legal

I hope this helps

8. 6string

6string G&G Newbie

Shaun. I don't mean to get anybody going. I just thought you do allot of custom stuff and thought I ask you your thoughts on the mater. Thanks for all the info. Your friend Tim

9. Shaun

Shaun G&G Evangelist

Not a problem Tim - maybe its just my preference with having done the SWAT Sniper thing that makes me like full stocks and rigid long barreled guns. Most of my other custom rigs have 24 to 26" barrels. If your looking for a powerful shorty that is easy to handle you might want to look at building yourself a CAR 15 with the adjustable stock and the 16" upper. The nice thing about this is that you have about 5 to 7 calibers if you also use the pistol carbine combo's

10. 6string

6string G&G Newbie

Shaun. I'm pretty new to shooting thats why I ask allot of qwestions. What is a CAR 15?

11. Jesse

Jesse G&G Newbie Forum Contributor

Hey 6 string, a CAR-15 is an AR-15 with a shortened barrel (16") and an adjustable (preban) stock. I beleve it is what currently the 82nd Airborne is using called the M4... or at least that is what they were using 3yrs. ago when I talked to a GI. FN made the rifle he was carrying by the way... not Colt.

Jesse

12. Shaun

Shaun G&G Evangelist

101st is using them as well and your right its the M$ in military terms. My old partner at the Department had one as his trunk rifle

13. 6string

6string G&G Newbie

I like the look and feel of military type guns but I'm still a bit leary about them [being new to shooting] With a singleshot I can aford to shot them because thay don't eat as much. I also like NEF's because you can get diferant cal. barrels for cheep. I'd love to have a Contender but thats alittle more money than I can aford. By the way I live 10mls from Olympic Arm's and am trying to get a job there.

14. Shaun

Shaun G&G Evangelist

all the more reason to get familiar with the products as I believe they are also one of the militaries suppliers.

15. Costume NEF`S

You can put a stock with a pistol grip on a shotgun with a barrel no shorter than 18",

You can put a stock with a pistol grip on a rifle with a barrel on shorter than 16".

If you put just a pistol grip on a shotgun it has to have a 22" barrel.

If you put just a pistol grip on a rifle the barrel length can be any length. It would be just like the T/C. If you put a long barrel back on it you must put the stock back on the gun,