close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Customize 10/22 ?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Logansdad, Apr 27, 2002.

1. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

I have a Ruger 10/22 that is stainless steel. I put a Williams peep sight on it. It needs to be customized. But I'm not going to spend hundreds of dollars on it. No scope either. I'm definitely going to replace the stock. What would y'all do ?

2. lefty o

lefty o G&G Evangelist

mn
    well if your not going to put alot of money into it, i say do a trigger job and drop it into whatever stock you like. good luck :assult:

3. jerry

jerry Since 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    agreed,
    the trigger is the weakest point of the gun. Iv'e been wanting to do something with mine for years but haven't gotten around to it. My brother has a Houge stock on his 10/22 made for us big guys and feels good.

4. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 G&G Evangelist

You could buy a fiberforce Dragunov style stock, or a Choate pistol grip stock (Which I use). Believe it or not, there are grenade launchers for the 10/22 out there. Flash hiders too. Just be mindful of the laws.
    Laser site might not be bad, but I took mine off and went back to the scope.

5. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

I just shot it today...definitely needs a trigger job. I saw a synthetic stock that I liked but it looked like it belonged on an assault rifle... I don't want to go to prison because some soccer mom on the grand jury thinks I shot a home invader with a wanna be assault rifle.

6. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 G&G Evangelist

That would be the Choate Pistol grip stock. I'm not afraid, though. Heck, my first defense weapon would be my 590 with heat shield, bayonet lug, and pistol grip buttstock.
    The whiners can scream what they want. I know my rights.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2002
  7. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

The trigger job is the first best thing to do, and it's not hard at all.
    I did it to my WallyMart Special - the trigger went from Gawd-awful to pretty-decent. Just use a fine stone on the hammer, polish but don't change any engagement angles. Final polish with the ol' Dremel and some fine rouge. A little tetra-grease on the pivot and sides - slicks it right up.
    Or pay about $32 for the Volquartsen drop-in hammer.
    On a new rifle, a good lapping with JB bore paste or IOSSO bore polish helps a lot.
    I like the rifle-style stock on the WallyMart Special - fits me better than the carbine stock. The longer 22" barrel looks better to my eyes, too. I just wish it were available blued.