Cut and Crown barrel, flat edge or rounded lip?

Discussion in 'Mosin Nagant' started by Adam Roth, Oct 4, 2010.

1. Adam Roth

Adam Roth G&G Newbie

I want to put my 91/30 in an ATI stock, but feel the barrel will look nicer if it was a few inches shorter. I see that the end of the barrel is rounded off and not flat, if I was to cut the barrel would it be okay to leave it flat and smooth, or does that rounded-ness have some kind of effect? I haven't purchased the stock so I don't know how it looks in person, basing my thoughts off online pics. There is nothing wrong with the barrel as is, quite good shooter actually. Just thinking it would look more like what I like. Thanks.

Edit: I don't have the money to buy a M44 or anything with a shorter barrel already, atleast my wife says I don't :).

Last edited: Oct 4, 2010
  2. Link23

Link23 G&G Newbie

yeah you need to do something with the crown, it really effects the accuracy of the rifle if you dont

3. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist

Let me get this straight. It's a good shooter now, and you want to take a chance of ruining that by cutting the barrel shorter.

I would not take the chance, myself.

4. Tha Dave

Tha Dave G&G Evangelist

The crown of the muzzle is very important all of the gases need to exit the muzzle at the same time or it will through off your accuracy any decent gun smith should be able to do it for you.
    Hey Ganny think of it like this yours just went up in value by about $0.0001 :p

5. neophyte

neophyte Wonderment :) Forum Contributor

Protect Muzzle

Adam Roth: Sir, crowning the barrel, simple basic answer. Crown is to protect the muzzle. Generally done at 17degree. Rounding the sleave, is more for esthetics, yet ''assists'' in protecting muzzle.

6. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

Target crowns are done at 11 degrees....

7. kansascoyote

kansascoyote G&G Newbie

I went down and looked at my target barrels never really took notice that 2 have inverted crowns and the rest are typical extruded crowns . The two that are inverted are both on heavy bull barrel rifles . What is the advantage of inverting a crown ?

8. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist

It provides some protection to the muzzle hole by being recessed. You can bump it in the front and not have the crown damaged.

9. RangeShooter

RangeShooter G&G Newbie

10. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

Past testing showed that 11 degrees produced the best results for accuracy when the bullet exits the barrel and the high pressure gas escapes around the bullet base , while protecting the bore exit.

11. waterdog

waterdog G&G Enthusiast

Shoots good now you say, well most people say " If it ain't broke don't fix it "

12. I bought a cut down 43 Izzy 91/30 barreled action at a gunshow last weekend (the receiver looks like it was whittled out by a beaver). The barrel is cut down to 23" and I like it a lot as a hunting rifle, beats the heck out of that 28" barrel. The crown is rounded and it appears to be done on a lathe. You may want to have a gunsmith properly do it.

13. jmeck

jmeck Scope mount mfgr. Forum Contributor

NC
    Nicely done. Looks like the muzzle of a Swiss K31.

14. Adam,

Of course a smith and 11 degree crown would obviously be the best option.

With a little patience you can accomplish a decent crown at home with some hand tools and a rotary file. Google the Larry Potterfield vid on youtube and you can finish the crown with a rotary file and some cutting fluid. Getting it square is a pain but not impossible.

I had to cut one of mine down after a stupid .32 insert squib fiasco, but it came out pretty decent and definitely minute of Deer or greater. Realistically around 3 MOA.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 6, 2010
  15. Adam Roth

Adam Roth G&G Newbie

Hey guys thanks for all the responses. I ask mainly just to see what the gang thinks. I like the look of the end of modern sniper rifle barrels, where it is flat, guess I don't know what's going on further back. If I was to have it done, I would take it to a 'smith to have it recrowned and make sure its done properly. Chances are if I buy the ATI stock I will keep the barrel the original length and just remove the front sight, since it can always be put back on. I did watch the Larry Potterfield video and that's what got my gears turning in the first place. Thanks again for the input guys.

16. MmMongol

MmMongol G&G Newbie

When purchasing the ATI stock make sure you don't get one of the warped ones...if those are still out there.

17. Adam Roth

Adam Roth G&G Newbie

I thought you only ordered them online. Is there a physical store to check the stocks before I purchase one to know that it is straight? Or just return it if it ends up warped?

18. jmeck

jmeck Scope mount mfgr. Forum Contributor

NC
    I've never seen one in a store buy I see them at gunshows all the time.

19. I see them at gun shows all the time and I believe Cabela's and Dunham's sell them.