CWD & deer

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by AR-tim, Oct 14, 2002.

1. AR-tim

AR-tim Guest

What do all you guys think about Chronic Wasting Disease? How big of deal is it where you live? Are you deer hunters going to eat the meat, in states/areas where deer have been found to have CWD? I really don't know what to think about it. Nothing really has been proven that it can "spread/infect" humans. Your thoughts on the subject......:confused:

2. jerry

jerry Since 03-15- 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    Have read a few articles on this in outdoor mags. trying to keep an eye on where the problems are. You guys got it bad there. Hope it gets undercontrol. Just as a caution, I probably wouldn't eat venison from a possible contaminated animal.

3. So far no reported cases in New York State, but as a precaution the DEC has banned the feeding of deer in the state. They think that there might be a link between the disease and the deer eating spoiled feed.

4. AR-tim

AR-tim Guest

There have been a few cases here in WI, and hunter registration has been down a lot. It is illegal to bait deer here now too. I have heard there are going to be field kits marketed to test deer, that you can sample the deer, and then send it in or something....