CZ 75 Finishes and General Care

Discussion in 'General Handgun' started by RanchAndShoot_439, Nov 25, 2016.

1. I've been searching for a CZ 75, preferably an older one like the B model or around that era. When I find and buy one, what would you all recommend checking for before shooting it, in terms of maintenance pitfalls? Also, if you'd like to post finish jobs on your CZ 75s, I'd really appreciate it. I know I'd like wood grips because they look really nice on my friend's CZ, but I'm completely clueless as to how I'd refinish one, if I find one in need of such repair.

neophyte, Jaison and ChaZam like this.
  2. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Refinishing a pistol is not a task that I would do or even trust to a number of gun smiths. I cannot begin to quantify how many decent but maybe rough looking firearms that I've encountered where someone failed to maintain crisp edges and straight lines or the clarity of the stamped numbers and letters on it. Few people can do that stripping, buffing, polishing etc without making it 100% apparent that it as a poorly prepared and refinished gun The ones that do it well will possible command a higher price for their services than what a new gun would cost.

Having said all of that I love my CZ pistols.

RanchAndShoot_439 and Jaison like this.

3. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

4. Jaison

Jaison G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

I have a CZ75 B Omega. Probably only have 1,000 rounds through her so far, but she's one magnificent pistol.

If I were looking at a used one, I'd have to check the round count and base any observations on that.

Stripping one down for basic cleaning is simple and will give you a good idea of the condition of the internal rails, extractor, feed ramp, spring, etc. If the previous owner dry-fired the pistol a lot, the striker retainer pin may be weak, but they're cheap and easily replaceable.

The actual finish will reflect the previous owner's philosophy regarding firearms. If it's rusty or gummy, the chances are the previous owner was careless.

If it's worn, but smooth with no rust, the previous owner used it as the tool it was meant to be and probably respected it enough to take good care of it.

If it looks new, it may have sat in a safe and you get the privilege of breaking her in.

ChaZam is spot on regarding refinishing, imho.

If you do get a CZ, best of luck and good shooting!

ChaZam likes this.
  5. Thanks for the tips! I've taken apart one handgun in my life, and it was a Glock. I was hoping that a simple field strip will tell me what to look for and fix, even with an older gun. And yeah, I don't really want to mess with finishing, if the gun is in all but crappy cosmetic condition, but I thought I'd ask.

ChaZam likes this.