Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just four days after Mayor Nutter and Philadelphia City Council ignored state law and enacted a package of five gun-control laws, reality arrived in the form of District Attorney Lynne M. Abraham. "They are, on their face, illegal acts," said Abraham.

More...

·
Resident Curmudgeon
34,376 Posts
I wonder if a District Attorney can challenge the constitutionality of a city ordinance on her own, or if she has to wait for someone to be arrested and perhaps, speaking in hypotheses, advise the defense attorney to have the client challenge the constitutionality of the illegal laws? This could get interesting, especially if the aptly-named Mayor Nutter tries to force the D.A. Abraham to resign. You just know he has to try that...

·
Handgunner
9,181 Posts
I don't think the DA can challenge the constitutionality of the law, but I'm pretty sure they can file charges on the mayor and City Council for violating State Law as defined by the State Supreme Court the first time the ordinance is enforced. Doubtful that will happen, but the first person arrested under these illegal ordinances can probably do both plus file in federal court for Civil Rights violations. It'll be interesting to see what happens.
My hat's off to the DA though.

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
Don't get too carried away. She is anti-gun too but just has more legal sense as a lawyer than to prosecute someone in violation of these statutes.

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Actually, what can be done is have both the mayor and all those that voted "yay" on the city council charged with US Code Title 18, Section 242: Deprivation of Rights Under Color of Law (the FBI link actually mentions mayors):

18 USC 242

Federal Bureau of Investigation - Civil Rights Statutes

They have committed a CRIME, treat them as the criminals they are.
:pokey:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts