Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Metropolitan Police Department yesterday announced a new crime initiative that will include officers going into high-crime neighborhoods to search homes for illegal guns.

More...

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
You would think that they would wait for the Supreme Court ruling.

·
Registered
10,770 Posts
DC search

Boy I can hear "racial profiling" already. Things like this set off the fire alarm in my butt. They more probable cause than that.

·
Banned
14,554 Posts
Of course, in DC any gun is an illegal gun...

Didn't they announce the same program in Philadelphia last year?

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
... so much for the 4th Amendment.

[SIZE=+1] The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.[/SIZE]

... they'd better have some good information to get that Warrant.

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
They can get around those pesky lil warrant requirements if they restrict themselves to searching only those suspicious type houses where parolees or probationers reside or those where parents are being supervised or monitored by CPS... Lord knows they might even actually find an illegal gun or two in that situation.!

·
Registered
168 Posts
When I read the article, what I got from it was that the cops were going to search houses where the parents ASKED them to search. In other words, the home owner requests the search. No "probable cause", no need for a warrant, etc.

The problem is them advertising amnesty when they don't even know what that gun may have done.

They are trying to get guns out of the hands of violent, out of control kids. And they're doing this as an assistance to parents who feel they've lost the power to control their kids and may even be afraid of them.

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
When I read the article, what I got from it was that the cops were going to search houses where the parents ASKED them to search. In other words, the home owner requests the search. No "probable cause", no need for a warrant, etc.

The problem is them advertising amnesty when they don't even know what that gun may have done.

They are trying to get guns out of the hands of violent, out of control kids. And they're doing this as an assistance to parents who feel they've lost the power to control their kids and may even be afraid of them.
Obviously, with permissions probable cause is not necessary. I doubt the amnesty will fly if they find a gun used in a murder... I just can't see a judge letting that go.

Maybe that 30% pay raise I speak of that the Congressional and/or Senate members vote themselves annually should be used to clean up these neighborhoods. Clean out the drug houses and gang bangers. After this long winter, the streets are in need of repair, so put these people to work. Give them an income, get them off welfare, give them pride in themselves and where they live, this situation will disappear.

Hey... if Washington wants to prove that they are for the low and middle class (as most of them tout)... they need to prove it starting with Washington D.C. ... to include supporting the residents' 2nd Amendment.

Odds are, this fantasy will never happen.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts

My emphsis
The GUN didn't DO anything It's an inanimate object; the perp did what was done useing the gun!

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
My emphsis
The GUN didn't DO anything It's an inanimate object; the perp did what was done useing the gun!
Agreed, the person using the gun committed the crime with it. Problem is, tied to a crime, the gun is evidence. IMHO, even more proof for a conviction by a court of law than without it... amnesty would not be permitted to apply.

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
... so much for the 4th Amendment.

[SIZE=+1]The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.[/SIZE]

... they'd better have some good information to get that Warrant.
Under Mr. Bush's Patriot Act, people with firearms in Washington D.C. will be considered a facet of National Security and warrants for search & seizure of homes and items is not needed under this act. God help the good souls who's lives are ruined by this forever. They will never be able to purchase a firearm again in the USA.

Can you imagine 'Ole Bob' having an old flintlock pistol passed down in his family for 200 years being dubbed a felon? Here we come Nazi Party of 1939.

And...of course they are not going to wait for the court ruling. They want to clean out everyone of their firearms while they can.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
34,376 Posts
I agree that the timing is more than a little curious. The DC police must really be sweating DC v. Heller. But as it is structured, the police are assisting the adults in a house, who think their kid may have a gun.

Not all of the kids who are packing are criminals. Living in a disadvantaged section of DC does not automatically make a kid a gangsta. Some of these kids (and I do not excuse them) are carrying out of a sense of macho. Having a gun 'proves' he ain't no kid, but a man. By offering amnesty, the police may think they are giving the kids who are packing for that reason a break. Otherwise, they'd be arresting them for a felony and ruining any chance they might have to live through the stage of youthful stupidity to become contributing citizens, if you see what I mean.

I don't approve of this program. The cops are saying they won't prosecute for any guns they find; but they aren't saying anything about illegal drugs, stolen goods, or other illegal things they could conceivably uncover in the course of an invited entry and search. I would much rather wait for cops to get a warrant and do it 100% by the book than to try this amnesty gag.

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
Under Mr. Bush's Patriot Act, people with firearms in Washington D.C. will be considered a facet of National Security and warrants for search & seizure of homes and items is not needed under this act. God help the good souls who's lives are ruined by this forever. They will never be able to purchase a firearm again in the USA.

Can you imagine 'Ole Bob' having an old flintlock pistol passed down in his family for 200 years being dubbed a felon? Here we come Nazi Party of 1939.

And...of course they are not going to wait for the court ruling. They want to clean out everyone of their firearms while they can.
... let them try.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts