Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The District of Columbia is embarking on one of the most ill-conceived "public safety" plans I've ever heard of. They're asking residents to voluntarily open their homes up to searches for illegally possessed firearms, and as you can imagine, the plan is drawing a lot of heat.

But it's not just gun owners complaining this time. The ACLU is complaining, and the executive director of the National Black Police Association says he won't let officers in to search his home.

Besides the Big Brother mentality behind this initiative, Mayor Adrian Fenty and Chief Cathy Lanier should think about the danger this could pose to officers. And frankly, given their hope that the parents of young gang members will call D.C. police and ask that officers search their homes for guns, they should think about the message they send when they announce that anybody found with an illegally possessed gun won't be prosecuted.

It's another example of politicians targeting the gun instead of the violent criminal. It's not going to reduce violent crime. It's only going to tell criminals they can get away with violating the law, while putting officers at increased risk and encouraging an atmosphere of government intervention at all times, in all places.

This plan should be scrapped before it can cause any damage. And the politicians and politically appointed police chief should get back to doing what works: locking up violent criminals and taking them off of the streets.

More...

·
Registered
50 Posts
None

:stupid: Like any smart person would let the cops come to their house voluntarily to have them search for illegal weapons. Isn't Washington very strict on their gun laws I think you can't even own a handgun in D.C. I don't think that it will fly very well.

·
Gun Toting Boeing Driver
20,688 Posts
Absolutely not. Not ever. Don't do this. Even if you have "nothing to hide." You're being a bad citizen if you cooperate with these police state tactics and harebrained schemes. Not in Boston either. "Sorry, officer, but you can't come in without a warrant." There's nothing wrong with this even for the most law abiding of us.

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
No warrant, no entry, period. I completely agree.

... not to mention, upholding the 4th Amendment.
[SIZE=+1] The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.[/SIZE]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts