Dad bought a m77

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Big Tool, May 4, 2008.

1. Big Tool

Big Tool G&G Newbie

MS
    My dad brought home a ruger m77 22-250 the other day. It is stainless and has the laminate stock. The gun also had a leupold vxI 3x9 scope on it. I haven't got to shoot it yet, but i think he got a pretty good deal on it. Looks brand new and he paid 500.00 from a buddy of his.

I really like the little gun and after handling it i'm thinking about getting one 308 myself. I love the claw extractor and it just had a very solid feel to it. I haven't had a chance to shoot it today.

I'm just looking for some general opinions about the m77. Mainly reliabiility "i'm guessing very good" and accuracy.

2. Big Tool I've got the new Ruger M77 "Hawkeye" model in 308 synthectic stock/matte stainless steel and it is a TACK driver !!!!!
    It's unbeleiveable so if your buying new then check out the Hawkeye model.
    The Mauser type action is excellent and looks GOOD...A.H

3. rdale501

rdale501 Guest

I have one in 300 win. mag. I have hunted with it for 27 years and taken a lot of game with it. It has never failed me and to this day is very accurate. If I went on ANY big game hunt in North America, it would be my first choice. I bought it for an elk rifle, but after usuing it a couple of seasons it became my main hunting rifle. I don't know how the newer ,mark something or another, ones are but those older Rugers are great.

4. Sounds like your dad got a great gun at a super price. The scope is a good one too.
    Mike

5. turner

turner Guest

I've owned all three Rugers..the original tang safety, the MKII and now the Hawkeye. They are all great guns! The Leupold it has mounted is a very good scope as well. If you buy a new Hawkeye SS and your Dad's is a MKII SS then you will find a significant difference in the finish. I own both and they look like different rifles. You'll be totally satisfied, I'm sure, just look at the newer Hawkeye so you understand the difference. Good Luck!

6. big boomer

big boomer G&G Enthusiast

Almost sounds like he bought a rifle and got a free scope( if the rifle is ex. condition) but it was a very good deal I bought my M-77 new for 515.00 after he gave me 50.00 off and I still had to get scope and stuff.

7. Big Tool

Big Tool G&G Newbie

MS
    I bought some ammo for it the other day. Hopefully we will get a chance to shoot it soon.

So what is the difference between the hawkeye and the MkII ???
    The one my dad got has a bright shiney finish, but other MKII rifles i've seen have the kinda matte grey finish.

Also it seems the only combo you can get the hawkeye in is stainless synthetic. Thanks for the help, I'm in the process of looking for one in 308.

8. turner

turner Guest

The finish is significantly different. No changes in the mechanics or action of the rifle except for a newly designed trigger. The same stock that fits a MKII will fit a Hawkeye. It took me a while to confirm that, but I wanted to exchange the black fiberglass stock that came on my matte SS Hawkeye with a similar laminate one to the one that came on my SS (shiny) MKII. Good Luck.