Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Dad Getting Screened

Discussion in 'Prayer Request' started by GoodNeighborSam, Dec 4, 2017.

1. neophyte

neophyte Wonderment :) Forum Contributor

GoodNeighborSam: Sir, Thanks. We will be keeping our prayers flowing
  2. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

I never could sleep in a hospital. Just about the time I drop off they wake me up to draw blood, or take my BP, or some IV alarm starts going off because whatever they are pumping into me ran out. I am SO glad when they let me out and I can sleep in my own bed. I will sleep all night and a good chunk of the morning the first day.

3. Yep! That's exactly what it was, so loud, it's hard to sleep
    neophyte likes this.
  4. After a second night, we have brought him home, looks better but will be here for at least the rest of the week before returning to work, and then follow up appointments.
    jerry, neophyte and ncnascarlady like this.
  5. Huey Rider

Huey Rider G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

I love when they come around about 2am and wake you up to ask you if you need something to help you sleep.:confused: Ya, I do now ya dumb azz!!o_Oo_Oo_Oo_O
    neophyte and ncnascarlady like this.
  6. This is scary. Latest update on my dad. Surgeon wanted to see dad sooner than next week. He found a small amount of cancer when he took out his appendix. He feels almost 100% certain that he got it all out. He's checking with an oncologist to be sure what to do. He might reopen where he went in and take out anything if it's there, which might mean removing some of the large intestine. We should know more by this afternoon.
    jerry and neophyte like this.
  7. Keeping my toes crossed for your dad, Sam.

If you'd like a positive spin on it, and speaking as someone who's living just fine with only half a large intestine, if the surgeon needs to go in and remove some to make sure any and all be happy. Because getting any out now means your dad will have a longer, healthier life.
    GoodNeighborSam and neophyte like this.
  8. Huey Rider

Fingers crossed and prayers sent.
    Having part of your large intestine removed is not a big deal.
    My mother in law had part of hers removed due to cancer a few years back and it dodn't change a thing. She's still an insufferable banshee.
  9. surgicaltech

surgicaltech G&G Evangelist

He'll be ok partner. If, If it's cancer it sounds like it was caught early, that's good. Appendaceal cancer isn't very common. Check out this link:
    Now it's just some info on the internet, although very informative, no 2 cases are the same. So I'd listen to the surgeon for advice and not the internet. But God willing it won't get that far!
  10. Happy Saturday everyone,

It's been a bit of a rollercoaster of a week. We had the post op meeting, and it was light and simple removing staples and stitches, then we had to have a talk. Though the surgeon is confident he was able to remove everything that was questionable, he wants to "cross our T's and dot our I's" and go ahead with the second surgery that will remove a little of the large intestine and some of the surrounding fatty tissue. Sounds like this is a way to be 100% certain that anything questionable is gone, and that it is a fairly common/straightforward operation. He did mention it is a favorite too. As surgicaltech said, it was found really early, this seemed almost like self exams in the shower, only it took an appendix removal. Surgery is this coming week, then dad will be in the hospital, I think 4 or 5 days, and off work for 2-3 weeks.
    jerry, neophyte, ncnascarlady and 2 others like this.
  11. surgicaltech

surgicaltech G&G Evangelist

So glad to hear!!!

P.S. it is one of my favorite surgeries.
  12. Great news, Sam! It sounds like your dad has a great surgeon who really want to be sure and cares about making sure your dad is clean and clear and healthy.

Still sending prayers for you all.
  13. Thank you everyone for your support and prayers. We are heading to surgery to at afternoon, and should be done by this evening. The only way the surgery will not take place is of a colostomy bag is involved, dad absolutely will not do that, but it sounds like they're only taking off a small section, so that shouldn't be necessary
  14. neophyte

neophyte Wonderment :) Forum Contributor

GoodNeighborSam: Sir; Thanks for allowing your prayer warriors moments
    We daily lift our family and friends
    GoodNeighborSam and surgicaltech like this.
  15. Thank you again for your prayers! Dad looked MUCH better today after surgery than he did after the appendix removal. Pain management is still a hard thing from him, but after not having the epideral take, and moved to morphine, the cloud has passed and he's coherent enough to be doing a bit of texting tonight. The surgeon was very optimistic and beaming with positivity when he visited with mom and I. Having a few drinks to a successful surgery (pathology will confirm it), then hitting the bed, and going for a visit tomorrow!
  16. Huey Rider

Prayers for a swift and complete recovery.
    GoodNeighborSam likes this.
  17. Thanks for the continued prayers! I met up with my godfather today, and we both went up to visit. We've had our fair share of bad experiences with hospitals, mine with my grandmother four years back, and him with his mother who passed away from breast cancer at the same hospital we were at today. Anyways, dad looks pretty good for 24 hours after surgery, and sounds very good too. Pain management is his biggest issue right now, so hopefully they continue to work on that. Excellent nurses, hospitals could never function without them. Depending on how tomorrow goes, I have been ordered to go out with my friends tomorrow afternoon, so we might squeeze in another visit. Mom is dropping by this afternoon, same with another good friend, then tomorrow several coworkers.