close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Dad in uniform

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Rod, Mar 30, 2002.

1. Rod

Rod G&G Newbie

This is a pic of my dad in his original WWII uniform. Everything is original right down to his shirt and tie. All are quartermaster marked 1945. He has kept it in immaculate condition. What you can't see in the pic is that he has his foot propped up on a 1945 Nash. Pretty neat. Dad fought in Africa, Italy, Southern France, and Germany. Lied about his age and enlisted at 16 yrs. Was in the 5th and 7th armies along with his twin brother who was in the same company with dad. I know this is a bit off subject but what the heck, he carried an M1 for several years and it wasn't for shooting at paper targets ;). I'm gonna get him to put the uniform back on and pose with my 1944 SA M1. Will post that pic when done. Makes owning an M1 just a bit more personal.

2. Rod

Rod G&G Newbie

WWII pics

Here are two pics of dad during WWII. Pic on left is during 1944 rest camp at Naples, Italy. Pic on the right is 1941 Louisiana Maneuvers and dad is twirling a S&W 45 long colt revolver.

3. Rod

Rod G&G Newbie

Dad and German 88

Nope, that ain't dad's garand. A pic of dad and a captured German 88, somewhere near the Rhine River at Worms, Germany April 6, 1945. The 88 kept dad and the rest of his 7th Army buddies huntin' fox holes on a regular basis. Half of his company was from Alabama, and they would often say the incoming rounds seemed to sound like they were saying "Youuuuuuuuuuuu ain't going back to Ala-BAMM. Dad's younger brother was KIA not far from where this pic was taken. Machine gunned in the throat. He too was in the 7th Army, but not the same company as dad and his twin. I have three M1 clips that were sent back with his younger brothers belongings. Why they sent back ordinance I don't know, but they were all loaded with black tipped ammo. And they still are! Don't think I'll shoot those rounds.

4. Rod

Rod G&G Newbie

Sorry about all the posts

Sorry about all the personal "off topic" posts. But I'm a bit proud of the ole man. He is approaching 80 years of age now. Recently he gave me his WWII album which contains some 300 photos. He kept a camera with him the whole time in combat. I used to enjoy attending reunions of his outfit. They don't have them anymore as many of them are gone now or in too bad of health to attend. It's sad to see the original M1 generation leaving us. Wish it were true that "old soldiers never die". We owe them a debt of gratitude for preserving our freedom to own an M1. Don't much think Hitler would have let us do that. It's up to us now to continue the fight to defend our right to bear arms. And while we don't have to face Hitler, there are pleny of freedom haters around like Schumer, Feinstein, Gore, etc....who would love to do what Hitler didn't, namely, take our garands and melt em down. I urge all of you to join the NRA. And it wouldn't hurt to join Gun Owners of America too!

5. Dvmmatt

Dvmmatt G&G Newbie

Great pictures.

6. wes

wes G&G Newbie

Amen Rod.

7. MangesMade

MangesMade G&G Newbie

I Proudly stand at Attention to Salute OUR FLAG, because of your Dad and many more like him...Thanks for posting the pictures, something to be proud of. How did you post the pictures on a reply, I can only post a picture on a new topic.

8. willys

willys G&G Newbie

TEXAS
    rod for president!

9. Rod,
    Thanks for sharing those. We are all debtors to that generation!
    Nuff said.
    Hal Beatty

10. Rod

Rod G&G Newbie

to post a pic on reply

use the reply button at the end of the thread, instead of the one with the reply window below the thread. It will let you post a pic.

11. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

great pictues and storys what was his regiment???

12. Stock Doc

Stock Doc G&G Evangelist

Thanks also form me on sharing these with us. I love this and this is why I collect the rifles I do. A big thanks go out to you're dad from me. Thanks,,Rick B

13. Rod

Rod G&G Newbie

Dad's unit

Dad was a member of Company A 85th Combat Engineers Heavy Ponton Battalion. They were trained in the First Army, attached to the 7th Army in North Africa, attached to the 5th Army in Italy, and then again with the 7th Army in Southern France and Germany. In January of 1944 Company A was awarded the Fifth Army Commendation "for outstanding performance of duty and meritorious service in the face of serious enemy opposition."

14. marcus

marcus G&G Newbie

Great Pic's Rod! Our dad's were a "Great Generation"! This is part of the reason I do so enjoy collecting WWII Weapons.

As a life time NRA member, I also could not agree more on the above mentioned people! It is people like them that are chipping away at our Blood earned freedoms....... Anyone that reads this and enjoys the freedom of owning a gun, please support the various clubs and originations that support the second Amendment. As a California resident, I have seen many freedoms lost already!

Best Regards,

Marcus

15. DaveTinNY

DaveTinNY G&G Newbie

Rod, keep 'em coming! I really enjoyed looking at the photos of your dad in the ETO. The first one of him in his immaculate uniform is a great shot. He looks as if he could fight again. Sounds like you have a goldmine of information with 300 photos. I wish I could browse through them. You should create a web page and post some of the shots. They tell a great story in and of themselves.
    Do me a favor and thank your dad for for me for his service to our country. It's appreciated more than words can say. I wish I could shake his hand.
    Dave T