close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Daily Word

Discussion in 'Political/Religious Topics' started by grizcty, May 19, 2017.

1. grizcty

grizcty God, Guns, Glory Forum Contributor

Idol Makers

“You shall have no other gods before me. You shall not make for yourself an idol in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below” (Exodus 20:3-4).

Scripture Focus: Exodus 20:1-6

Enlightenment philosopher Voltaire observed, “If God made us in His image, we have certainly returned the compliment.” Once we leave the pages of Scripture and start forming our concept of God from other sources, we become idol makers. We create images tarnished by human imaginings.

Knowing God is a revelatory experience through the power of the Holy Spirit. The journey begins in the Word. Faithful study of Scripture with a prayer for discernment on our lips guides us to seeing God accurately. It's the surest protection against turning to idols.

People fancy God to be whatever they desire. One famous architect stated, “I believe in God. I call him Nature.” The bigot's god hates skin shades. The god of promiscuity winks at perversions and marital betrayals. The materialist's god lusts for empty things. New Age gods tempt with trendy universal spiritualism. We must lay down any image formed apart from the truth. Our view of God must remain uncluttered by faulty conceptions.

Insight: What folly for creatures to busy themselves trying to form their Creator! This arrogance tragically clouds our vision of Him.

PAPA G, Kmcdowell, Gun Junkie and 4 others like this.
  2. rl69

rl69 G&G Evangelist

Matthew 22
    34Hearing that Jesus had silenced the Sadducees, the Pharisees got together. 35One of them, an expert in the law, tested him with this question: 36“Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?”

37Jesus replied: “ ‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’c 38This is the first and greatest commandment.39And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’d 40All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

grizcty, PAPA G, Kmcdowell and 2 others like this.

3. neophyte

neophyte Wonderment :) Forum Contributor

grizcty: We learn, We see, gain understanding.

Habakkuk 2:18

15Woe unto him that giveth his neighbour drink, that puttest thy bottle to him, and makest him drunken also, that thou mayest look on their nakedness! shall be on thy glory.'>16Thou art filled with shame for glory: drink thou also, and let thy foreskin be uncovered: the cup of the LORD'S right hand shall be turned unto thee, and shameful spewing shall be on thy glory. 17For the violence of Lebanon shall cover thee, and the spoil of beasts, which made them afraid, because of men's blood, and for the violence of the land, of the city, and of all that dwell therein. 18What profiteth the graven image that the maker thereof hath graven it; the molten image, and a teacher of lies, that the maker of his work trusteth therein, to make dumb idols? 19Woe unto him that saith to the wood, Awake; to the dumb stone, Arise, it shall teach! Behold, it is laid over with gold and silver, and there is no breath at all in the midst of it. 20But the LORD is in his holy temple: let all the earth keep silence before him.

grizcty, rl69, PAPA G and 2 others like this.
  4. Kmcdowell

Kmcdowell G&G Evangelist

Omaha NE
    Food For Thought

Exodus 20:1-5 And God spake all these words, saying, 2 I am the Lord thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage. 3 Thou shalt have no other gods before me. 4 Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth: 5 Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the Lord thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me;

When Moses was originally given the Ten Commandments, there were things that were given to direct our relationship toward God. In verse 4 it says we are to make or fashion for ourselves any graven (carved) images. Not of anything in the earth, under the water or in heaven above.

Many times we think of the idols of Baal and images wrought by the pagan religions throughout the world. However, as Christians, we've done a pretty good job of fashioning images that relate to our worship. Many people place importance on medals, statues and images that they claim enhance their relationship and worship toward God.

Sometimes I wonder. John 4:24 says God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth. I could be wrong, but I wonder if God ever intended for us to have visual aids tied into our worship of His glory and wonder. Not to nit pick perhaps we should focus on God as He is; a Spirit. Focus our worship on His essence rather than a visual or an image of what we think he might be. Just some food for thought.

grizcty, rl69, Huey Rider and 3 others like this.
  5. neophyte

neophyte Wonderment :) Forum Contributor

Kmcdowell: Sir, These words carry power in seeing God
    I know your direction. Adding for our new readers :)

Exodus 33:20
    The Glory of the Lord
    …19And He said, "I Myself will make all My goodness pass before you, and will proclaim the name of the LORD before you; and I will be gracious to whom I will be gracious, and will show compassion on whom I will show compassion." 20But He said, "You cannot seeMy face, for no man can see Me and live!"21Then the LORD said, "Behold, there is a place by Me, and you shall stand there on the

grizcty, rl69, Huey Rider and 2 others like this.